X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • root710
    • Nov 2014

Thanks J.P.M., lots of good info. I see your point with the low light production. I never thought of it that way before. So, now I'm thinking the regular LG 300 panels may be a more cost effective route. Their size/production ratio works well with my roof size. As long as people seem to agree they seem to be a quality panel that will hopefully hold up long term.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by root710
      Thanks J.P.M., lots of good info. I see your point with the low light production. I never thought of it that way before. So, now I'm thinking the regular LG 300 panels may be a more cost effective route. Their size/production ratio works well with my roof size. As long as people seem to agree they seem to be a quality panel that will hopefully hold up long term.
      You're welcome.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Think about standing outside in the sun - at 0900 hours and at 1300 hours
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• root710
          • Nov 2014

What were people's thoughts on the cost estimates that I had? $3.61/watt DC for the LG 300 AC, probably less for the seperate inverter setup. $4.38/watt DC for the Sunpower 327 + SMA America:SB6000TL-US (240) inverter. Are these rates average, good deal or what? Both are from reputable decent size contractors that are electricians.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

What were people's thoughts on the cost estimates that I had? $3.61/watt DC for the LG 300 AC, probably less for the seperate inverter setup. $4.38/watt DC for the Sunpower 327 + SMA America:SB6000TL-US (240) inverter. Are these rates average, good deal or what? Both are from reputable decent size contractors that are electricians.
            I've already signed off on this thread to LG 300 w/ string inverter and why.

Be prepared for the "most efficient" and "more production over a long time", and "better warranty" pitches from S.P. owners and peddlers.

The first point of which is twisted word and logic play on S.P. part - it's an area efficiency, not a cost efficiency. The second - of more long term production - of questionable worth given the large up front S.P. price premium for, in your case, less annual system output given the smaller size/greater overall price. To the third point on warranty: if the S.P. stuff is so robust/reliable, (and usually part of the justification for the premium price, why is such a great warranty needed in the first place ? Sort of like looking at part of the high price as a built in extended warranty customers get suckered into without the pitch but with the premium. At least with add on warranties, customers get to say no.

Pay your money - take your choice. Just walk in with your eyes and mind open.

Comment

• SoCalsolar
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2012

My 2 cents

Lg has developed their own first generation micro inverter. Some other first generation micro/ac panels rolled a little early and with more issue than anticipated. SunPower offered AC panels but has since removed them from the market. Not so much for hardware issues (although there were some) but for software issues. The other concern I have is that if an installer puts an optimizer or micro on a panel you often get a 25 year warranty on it along with the normal 10 year product warranty on the panel. When the manufacturer installs the micro you now get a 10 year product warranty on both the panel and the micro. SunPower did the same thing with Solar Bridge in the past. These are two reasons why I favor the Solar Edge optimizers over the new LG Micros. Should have some data in 6 months to year as to how well thought out the LG Micros were.

LG spec page with warranty info

Last edited by SoCalsolar; 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

• AerotusX
                • Mar 2016

I know this thread is old, but I would like to bump it. To the OP, which panel did you end up choosing and how satisfied are you with your choice? I find myself in the same decision now, I narrowed down to LG NeON 2 Black (300W) vs SunPower X21 Black (345W). The cost delta is similar as your case. I'm leaning a little bit toward LG as this time, but it's a close call.

Comment

Working...