X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice -- 4.8k system in San Diego

Hello, I am new to the forum. And we recently started looking into installing solar panels. This forum is really helping us a lot! After reading manys questions and answers here, I am thinking a 4.8k system for my house. I am planning to use 16 panels of LG300 with solaredge E6000 and P400 optimizer (25yr extended warranty for the inverter). I have enough roof space for SW facing for all panels. So far I have got a few quotes around $3.9/w. I've seen some users on this forum also from the area posted the price for LG300 from $3.22 to $3.5. It'll be greatly appreciate that if you can PM your installer information. I am in scripps ranch area in San Diego.

Thank you
    Ginger

That sounds like the system I just installed a month ago. Why do you want P400 for the LG300 while P300 will work perfectly fine, granted the price difference is small? Just some extra insurance? I will PM you.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thejq View Post
      That sounds like the system I just installed a month ago. Why do you want P400 for the LG300 while P300 will work perfectly fine, granted the price difference is small? Just some extra insurance? I will PM you.
      Thank you for your reply ! Yes, I got the idea from your post and another user thank you! The P400 was mentioned in another post. I am thinking it maybe a nice upgrade if price difference is not huge. And I totally have no issue with p300.

Comment

Originally posted by gingeryu View Post
        Thank you for your reply ! Yes, I got the idea from your post and another user thank you! The P400 was mentioned in another post. I am thinking it maybe a nice upgrade if price difference is not huge. And I totally have no issue with p300.
        It was probably me with the P400s. The only reason I went with them was the P300s were not delivered in time & the installer had P400s. I asked Solaredge if there was any downside to using them & they said no. I figured they were made to handle the higher voltage of a 72 cell panel so WTH.... a little beefier must be a good thing.

Given the choice I think it's a waste of money. My choice was free.
        6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

Check with thejq, his deal on LG300s was pretty sweet in SD area.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerscum View Post
            It was probably me with the P400s. The only reason I went with them was the P300s were not delivered in time & the installer had P400s. I asked Solaredge if there was any downside to using them & they said no. I figured they were made to handle the higher voltage of a 72 cell panel so WTH.... a little beefier must be a good thing.

Given the choice I think it's a waste of money. My choice was free.
            Yes, it was from you and thank you for your input! That really help us to make our decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
              Cehck with thejg, his deal on LG300s was pretty sweet in SD area.
              Yes, he PMed me. He actually put me into contact with his installer already. Hopefully we are getting quotes from them later today.

Comment

Hey Gingeryu or thejg, could you PM me with your installer info? We are also looking at an LG system (ground mount), albeit probably quite a bit larger (12-14 kw). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by scswickman View Post
                  Hey Gingeryu or thejg, could you PM me with your installer info? We are also looking at an LG system (ground mount), albeit probably quite a bit larger (12-14 kw). Thanks!
                  PM sent. But first thing first, since you have an EV (from another thread), make sure you're on EV-TOU rate. It will save you lots of money, while you're working on getting the solar.

Comment

Originally posted by scswickman View Post
                    Hi I just turned in my deposit y'day. And we used the same company as thejg. I can't PM since I have less than 10 posts. But the installer is xxxxxxxxx. We got referral prices which saves us a lot of time by avoiding back and forth negotiations. For your reference, the price is about 3.52 per DC watt for our system.

Good luck
                    Ginger

Mod note - No installer names allowed
                    Last edited by russ; 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Hi thegj

if you could PM me (not enough posts from me yet), that would be great... I am in 92009, and after 5+ quotes of > $4.5 - $5.5 / W ... I am not getting the right quotes it seems ... tonight I had another company come in and they quoted almost the exact same system as alisobob (24 x solarworld 270, w/ M250 enphase m-inverters, installed on a 2 year old house (concrete tile, no panel upgrades needed, installed right next to panel so short cable runs, etc)... and it was ~29k... some additional discount for cash deal, but still above $4/W...

And I have also been seeing lots of creative numbers on how much the PV would produce (they claimed > 12kw / year, while PVWatts was closer to 10kw on the 6480 system) ... when I questioned them on their calculation, they seemed to be using a standard multiplier and said my roof pointed in the right direction ....

Lots of great info here... just need to spend hours reading it through and finding the nuggets!

Thanks everyone

Comment

Hi

Just PM'd you. You should see at the top right corner of this window, the word "Notifications" should turn white.

I'm in 92011, so look at my production in the signature. It should be close to what you will get if you have S or SW exposure. PVWatt is a little pessimistic IMO.

BTW, it's thejq (which is my initials) not thejg.

Comment

Originally posted by makarowski View Post
                          Hi thegj

if you could PM me (not enough posts from me yet), that would be great... I am in 92009, and after 5+ quotes of > $4.5 - $5.5 / W ... I am not getting the right quotes it seems ... tonight I had another company come in and they quoted almost the exact same system as alisobob (24 x solarworld 270, w/ M250 enphase m-inverters, installed on a 2 year old house (concrete tile, no panel upgrades needed, installed right next to panel so short cable runs, etc)... and it was ~29k... some additional discount for cash deal, but still above $4/W...

And I have also been seeing lots of creative numbers on how much the PV would produce (they claimed > 12kw / year, while PVWatts was closer to 10kw on the 6480 system) ... when I questioned them on their calculation, they seemed to be using a standard multiplier and said my roof pointed in the right direction ....

Lots of great info here... just need to spend hours reading it through and finding the nuggets!

Thanks everyone
                          Thejq seems to have a decent handle on cost and initial output. FWIW, I'd believe 10,000+ kWh/yr. out of a 6.5kW system in 92009. 12,000 kWh/yr. is too optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                            Thejq seems to have a decent handle on cost and initial output. FWIW, I'd believe 10,000+ kWh/yr. out of a 6.5kW system in 92009. 12,000 kWh/yr. is too optimistic.
                            Thanks J.P.M (and sorry thejq for the typo on your handle)....

I responded to the PM... I guess I need to get more involved in the board and contribute my findings/research when I hopefully have something to contribute.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by makarowski View Post
                              Thanks J.P.M (and sorry thejq for the typo on your handle)....

I responded to the PM... I guess I need to get more involved in the board and contribute my findings/research when I hopefully have something to contribute.

Cheers
                              You're welcome. Stay curious. Read, learn, think. question, repeat. Take your time and don't be rushed or stampeded, but be deliberate. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X