X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
    Happy to do so. My price per watt isnt the lowest in that other thread.... but I'll take The Pepsi Challenge with those other quotes anyday......

I couldnt imagine removing the racks / panels and start looking for leaks ......

Thanks for the support!!!
    Speaking for myself only, you're entirely welcome. Continued good luck. Besides, it ain't about low buck - it's about most bang for the buck. Send me a PM after the first driving rainstorm this winter and describe your feelings about roof maint. and a dry house - priceless !

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      ..... roof maint. and a dry house - priceless !

PLUS.... I'm getting a 30% tax credit on the price to do the roof...

Win / Win!!

Comment

• Alisobob
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

hardware.JPG

Here is my hardware schedule.... All stainless, with plenty of goop.

I dont know how this compares to other installs... but my guy says " Lifetime / Leak Free".

I hope so!!!

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5028[/ATTACH]

Here is my hardware schedule.... All stainless, with plenty of goop.

I dont know how this compares to other installs... but my guy says " Lifetime / Leak Free".

I hope so!!!
          Only one comment: hopefully, you used closer to the 5" dimension rather than the 1.5" dimension to max. out the underpanel clearance. The panels will probably run a bit cooler -->> increase eff. a bit and maybe degrade at a slower rate and also maybe last longer.

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

The hardware looks like its standing off the roof the full 5". The installers said they need room under the panels for the Micros, and for air circulation , so they may be thinking the same way you are. Thanks for the suggestion...

Comment

• Alisobob
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

solar lo2.JPGsolar lo3.JPG

Here's the "action shots" I promised... the basic racks, ground wiring, trunk cables, enphase inverters going it....... and plenty of blue, cloudless skies.

I cant wait to flip the switch....

Comment

• jrh
                • Oct 2014

Hi Bob,
                Thanks for sharing your details and install progress first of all, I am just down in Laguna Niguel. I was hoping you wouldn't mind pm'ing me who you went with, I haven't checked out the smaller, local businesses yet and the bigger boys are all over the map on the $/KW, from $5.5/KW to $3.8/KW

The lowest bid was actually my favorite so far, but I wouldn't mind getting another quote or two.

Apologies for the low content post, I apparently can't use PMs until 10 posts.

Comment

• Alisobob
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

sp1.jpgsp2.jpgsp3.jpgsp4.jpgsp5.jpg

Some cell phone shots from today... these guys are doing a terrific job.

Note the 10 ga. feed wiring. The other quotes I got all listed 14 ga.

I asked why they went so big? They said its the right way to do it, allows for future expansion of the system, and maximizes the output of the system. Even something small like a 0.5% improvement over 25 years adds up to allot of power.

I'm really happy with these guys....

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

ryan.jpg

Ryan, the lead installer. Same guy did the roofing, electrical, mechanical, and internet hook up. Ryan does it all, and if there ever is any issue, there is only one guy to go to.

I really like that too..... no finger pointing..... ever.

Comment

• Jason
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2008

Reviews of Enphase inverters and Solar World panels

Seems everyone posts their specs right out of the chute.... so here they are...

6 Kw Base Price
                      Solar World SW 250 Poly Panels $23,999
                      50+ Discount 5% - 1,200
                      $22,799

Enphase 215 Micros w/ inside cable runs + 1,800
                      Enphase Envoy + Lifetime Monitoring + 750
                      Tile Roof Adjustment + 900
                      Service Panel Upgrade (200 amp panel) + 3000
                      $ 29,249

Add’l Mgr Discounts - 2,549

Total O.T.D. $26,700

Net after Tax Credit ( 30%)

$18,690
                      (This works out to $3.11 per KW installed.)

They are coming out to do the roof azimuth testing next week. I went with the micro invertors due to 2 different roof lines. I have 18 panels facing south and 6 panels facing west.

My first move was 2 years ago. I went 100% LED in the house. ( Well, 99.9999%. I could'nt put a LED inside the cloths dryer) This was a $1600 dollar investment that had a 13 month R.O.E. and knocked my "average" SCE bill down about $120 a month!! ( Yea, 2 teenagers who love every light to be on, 24x7) This was about a 40% decline in electrical costs.

I had one chandelier that I had a hard time finding the right color bulbs for... it was the last fixture to convert. Before converting, it alone used more wattage, than the rest of the house combined. I found that pretty amusing. My house is 2980 Sq.Ft. LED's are wonderful!!

So now, its solar time. I had ( gasp) about 800 KwH's of Tier 4 power on my last bill.... Yea, I like A/C.. but that was the final straw. I've used a few online calculators, and they tell me I can bank enough power credits in the mild months, I'll be able to blast the A/C all summer with little to no cost.

I try to be realistic in life, it prevents allot of sadness and regret. Maybe I'll be pleasanty surprized and produce more power than I think I will. We'll see.

I came across this website that shows the importance of proper tilt..... http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

Surprizingly, I see very few installations with the panels tilted. I doubt every roof is at the optimum angle. I guess we'll see what that little sun following doo-hicky says.

Wish me luck, and I'll let you know when the hardware shows up....

Bob
                      Hi Bob

My impression is that you have chosen good equipment but you need to check whether you can get a better deal or not. Often its hard to get an apples for apples comparison because each company will quote you a slightly different solution.

I would recommend going to the Solar Reviews website. At this site you can see reviews of Enphase inverters, also reviews of SolarWorld solar panels. But ore importantly in your case you can see all of the installers that sell these systems. If you enter your zipcode it will show you all the solar installers that sell these brands that service your area. This may help you get other "apples for apples" quotes.

If you just want to get more quotes and consider other brands as well then you might like to use the free solar power calculator on Solar Estimate. This calculator will give you a ball park idea of the average cost of solar systems sold in your area based on data it collects from many installers. If will also show you the return you are likely to get from installing solar panels on your home.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jason
                        Hi Bob

My impression is that you have chosen good equipment but you need to check whether you can get a better deal or not. Often its hard to get an apples for apples comparison because each company will quote you a slightly different solution.

I would recommend going to the Solar Reviews website. At this site you can see reviews of Enphase inverters, also reviews of SolarWorld solar panels. But ore importantly in your case you can see all of the installers that sell these systems. If you enter your zipcode it will show you all the solar installers that sell these brands that service your area. This may help you get other "apples for apples" quotes.

If you just want to get more quotes and consider other brands as well then you might like to use the free solar power calculator on Solar Estimate. This calculator will give you a ball park idea of the average cost of solar systems sold in your area based on data it collects from many installers. If will also show you the return you are likely to get from installing solar panels on your home.
                        Does anyone else think this post is a bit late with advice ?

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          Does anyone else think this post is a bit late with advice ?
                          Yeah, I don't know what's up with that post. I clicked all the links in case it helps the forum make money. If it didn't require so much personal information, I'd even run the calculators a couple times.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

Its real late!!

Well, they just flipped the switch to test things out.... its reeeeal overcast right now, its 3:10pm and ready to rain in the O/C... and this thing is still making 900 watts according the the Envoy..

Awesome!!

sp6.JPG

Update: Its after 4pm, still on the verge of raining, and still over 600 watts. sweet!

Comment

• Alisobob
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

sw7.JPGsw8.JPGsw9.JPGsw10.JPGsw12.JPGsw13.JPG

All finished.... No smoke, no fire, no surprizes.

Thanks guys!!

Comment

• Bikerscum
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2014

Congratulations! Everyone did their job, including you.
                                6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

Working...