X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrippsbruin96
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5068[/ATTACH]

Here is my calculated generation specs to either meet of exceed, based on my system size, and location.

For Nov, I hoping to generate 757 KwH's.

Here are on Day 3 of my Solar experience, and I'm at 96 KwH's generated... and the first day was a pretty cloudy one.

That should put me at around 900 Kw'hs for the month, if the weather stays bright.

I should easily meet my goal, even if I lose a few days due to poor weather.

My solar experience continues to be a good one.
    Thank you for this thread, it has really helped with my own negotiations here in SD. Will be looking at 4300 watt system for 14600.

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

The site helped me.... I helped you.... the cycle continues.....

Comment

• dat
        • Oct 2014

The site helped me.... I helped you.... the cycle continues.....
        You are right. That is the spirit. Do you use Enphase M215 or M250 with the 270w panel?

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

My supplier convinced me the 215's had an advantage over the 250's in my application... and Enphase warrantied it, so thats what I went with.215.jpg

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

I'll got with the 215 as well. On Enphase white paper, it will outperform compare with M250 with 270W panel unless you are using the LG300 then M250 is your pick.

BTW, your system is on the Enphase public site. Your 6.48kW outputs higher than my 7.1kW SW 245 with 23 tilt yesterday. Very nice.

Are you staying standard 4 tiers plan or TOU with SCE?

Comment

• Alisobob
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

I was looking at those Time of Use rates.... as peak rates occur when no one usually is home ( Noon till 6pm weekdays) and I like Off Peak is all day on weekends...

Which plan do you have, and what do you see as the advantages?

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

I was looking at those Time of Use rates.... as peak rates occur when no one usually is home ( Noon till 6pm weekdays) and I like Off Peak is all day on weekends...

Which plan do you have, and what do you see as the advantages?

I'm still under 4 tiers plan. I'm almost 1 year in net metering and I got almost all the data I needed to plan either stadard or TOU-EV. For example. your production yesterday is 29.8kWh were 22.22kWh (65%) were produce during peak (10 to 6). My solar produced 27.47kWh yesterday with 23.92kWh (85%) produced during peak hours. I'm not going into all the detail, but I used the easy step for calculation. By looking at my meter, I am getting about 7700kWh credit to SCE and use about 6500kWh (at night) from SCE. I got credit of 1200kWh as now. I think I could have stay in standard plan not to worry about peak or off peak rates.... If TOU: From total of 7700kWh X 85% = 6545kWh at peak hour credit (estimate only). I think I can use more kWh during off peak and super off peak rate to cover my 2nd EV incoming in few months....etc

Everyone have their own calculation methods but I prefer the easy way..... Going larger solar.

Comment

• Alisobob
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

I am so happy I hired who I did...

The city inspector came out today, and tried to shoot down my final inspection any way he could...

" You need engraved placards"

" You need more warning labels"

"You need a permanently mounted roof map"

"You cant run the monitoring wiring like that"

Etc..etc..etc...

For every issue, my vendor whipped out the proper code, and showed that the install was in complete legal compliance, and that what the inspector WANTED to see, had nothing to do with whats legally required, and what was approved on plan check.

The inspector eventually signed off on everything, got in his car, slammed the door, and sped away.

After he left, the installer agreed that some of what the inspector wanted were good ideas, but they need to be made code first, before they can be enforced.

It made me wonder how many installations this inspector failed, and how many felt "Bully'ed" into compliance with these non code requests.

The photos I posted of my install, is exactly how it passed.... real simple and clean.

Thank you , to my solar guys.. you know your product and industry .... inside and out!

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

The city inspector came out today, and tried to shoot down my final inspection any way he could...

Etc..etc..etc...

For ever issue, my vendor whipped out the proper code, and showed that the install was in complete legal compliance, and that what the inspector WANTED to see, had nothing to do with whats legally required, and what was approved on plan check.

The inspector eventually signed off on everything, got in his car, slammed the door, and sped away.

After he left, the installer agreed that some of what the inspector wanted were good ideas, but they need to be made code first, before they can be enforced.

It made me wonder how many installations this inspector failed, and how many felt "Bully'ed" into compliance with these non code requests.

The photos I posted of my install, is exactly how it passed.... real simple and clean.

Thank you , to my solar guys.. you know your product and industry .... inside and out!

I think you got lucky with that inspector.

2 rules I have had to live by in my almost 40 years of project management.

Rule 1. The inspector is always right.

Rule 2. Even if the inspector is wrong refer to rule 1.

I have had many a projects stalled by the whims of the local inspector asking for things that may not have fallen under an NEC Code requirement but they fell under a local (or dreamed up) "code" requirement.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Comment

• buellwinkle
                      • Aug 2014

Our inspector failed our install with odd requests, most were sticker related and most made no sense like DC warnings on the output of the inverter. My installer had to explain code to the inspector and got signoff the second time. I think as they see more and more installs and installers do a good job of documenting and explaining what's required by code and what isn't, the easier it will become.

The pain now is knowing I have a perfectly good solar setup that can't be turned on until the electric company, the very same company that benefits by stalling, gives us permission to operate. I can't believe they send me tip emails on how to lower my usage every week, yet delays approving the solar install. For what it's worth, I understand, after all SDG&E is building a beautiful new hi-rise downtown near the baseball stadium so they can watch the ballgames for free and don't have to be in the not as pretty older building and can't do that with raising our rates.

Comment

• bam_bam
                        • Nov 2014

vendor?

Etc..etc..etc...

For every issue, my vendor whipped out the proper code, and showed that the install was in complete legal compliance, and that what the inspector WANTED to see, had nothing to do with whats legally required, and what was approved on plan check.

Please PM me with who you used....I can't PM you until I post more. I am looking to install a similar sized system in CHula Vista, thanks!

Comment

• lkstaack
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

PLUS.... I'm getting a 30% tax credit on the price to do the roof...

Win / Win!!
                          Please confirm that your solar credits will apply to a new roof. If that's the case, why don't all older home owners do their roofs when getting solar?
                          LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

• CA_Tom
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by lkstaack
                            Please confirm that your solar credits will apply to a new roof. If that's the case, why don't all older home owners do their roofs when getting solar?
                            Because you still have to pay 70% of the price, and if you've got 20 years left on that roof, why spend that money? (and if you've got 20 years left it's hard to argue that replacing the roof was a necessary part of getting solar.)

Comment

• sensij
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2014

People don't all share the same ethics and willingness to take risks with the tax code. Like anything else you file, you will need to have the supporting documents in case you are audited. In this case, you would need to support why you believe a roofing expense qualifies for the solar tax credit. People have speculated that by including the solar and roofing expenses on the same invoice, it is more justifiable. I'm not so sure. If you can find a tax professional willing to officially sign off that full re-roofing can be considered a solar expense, or a person who has made it through an audit with this justification, please let me know.

If the source of justification for including the roof and solar together is a solar sales guy or a roofer, you might want to think about whose interests are being serving by making that suggestion.
                              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

They should.

My quote states that the disruption of solar install required repapering the roof under the panels to maintain the roofs integrity.

I have no problem taking the tax credit for it.

If you are worried about it, just have the installer roll the price of the roof into the dollars per watt price of the panels themselves... and bury it.

I couldnt think of anything worse... than removing the panels and racks to start chasing a water leak somewhere down the road.

My installer warrantied the roof, for the same 25 year lifespan of the panels.

Comment

Working...