• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bikerscum
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Alisobob
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4978[/ATTACH]

24 SolarWorld 275 watt Mono panels... All South facing. It took moving some roof vents, but it will be well worth it.
    I was under the impression you had to have a 3' setback on at least one side of that main roof?

setback diagrams

Hard to tell from your diagram, but it looks like what's called a hip roof?

Sure hope not, that layout looks sweet.
    6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

gable.JPG

I noticed that too, but the way it was explained to me is the adjacent roof areas are open, so the lateral setback rules are not applicable, just the setback to the ridge does... which it has.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4979[/ATTACH]

I noticed that too, but the way it was explained to me is the adjacent roof areas are open, so the lateral setback rules are not applicable, just the setback to the ridge does... which it has.
        FWIW, that's the way I believe it was explained to me as well, but It's probably worth a check prior to install. A call to the building inspector may be cheap insurance. As in, where's the harm ?

Comment

• Alisobob
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

The plans are at the City Inspectors... I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

south face 2.JPG

This is a different layout, provided by another company... see the circled interference points? Fail.

My current layout doesnt have these.

Comment

• Bikerscum
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

2.1.1 Access/Pathways
              a.
              Residential Buildings with hip roof layouts: Modules should be located in a manner that provides one (1) three-foot (3’) wide clear access pathway from the
              eave to the ridge on each roof slope where modules are located. The access pathway should be located at a structurally strong location on the building (such as a bearing wall).

I dunno, I would check for sure.
              6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Woo-Hoo!!!

Roof repapering Thursday / Friday

Rack install early next week

Panels late next week

Electrician the week after...

This is really happening!!!

Comment

• control4userguy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

FWIW, that's a very drawn-out install for such a small system.

Comment

• Alisobob
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

They are meeting my schedule, so I can be here for the whole install...

Comment

• Alisobob
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

solar lo.JPG

End of day two progress.....

The south facing roof (where the panels will be installed) has come off completely, some vents were relocated, all 100% repapered, rack mounts lagged in and tiles going back down. Sparky has run the attic conduit for the panels and put a subpanel in the garage so if / when my wife trades in the Tahoe for a Tesla or other EV.... were ready.

Monday is a inspection, then on to the actual install later next week. I'll keep you all posted!

Things are moving right along....

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5015[/ATTACH]

The south facing roof (where the panels will be installed) has come off completely, some vents were relocated, all 100% repapered, rack mounts lagged in and tiles going back down. Sparky has run the attic conduit for the panels and put a subpanel in the garage so if / when my wife trades in the Tahoe for a Tesla or other EV.... were ready.

Monday is a inspection, then on to the actual install later next week. I'll keep you all posted!

Looking good!
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5015[/ATTACH]

Congrat!! Perhaps have the solar installer put a NEMA 14-50 for ya in the garage. You'll need it for the EV.

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

Here we are at the end of Day three..... Whew!!

If ANYONE is considering putting down a solar array without at least looking at the underlying paper first... you should reconsider things.

My installers have been up there for 3 days, on a 21 year old concrete tile roof. Yea, they had some vents to move, but most of it was in reworking the roof, and up to now, it was more of a proactive exercise.

Today, doing the last area they found a large area of scabbed together paper pieces. It wasent leaking, but who knows for how long. I cant imagine pulling all my solar panels up to expose the roof, then repair it, and then put it all back down!! I am SO glad I'm doing this now, and to uncover some shoddy previous workmanship in the process is iceing on the cake...

They ran and secured half the mounting racks today, that part seems to go pretty quickly. The other half of the racking tomorrow and the cabling and micro inverters go down as well.

I checked with SCE to see if my Net Metering agreement has gone through yet.... nope.

Its looking real good.... I'll shimmy up the ladder tomorrow to post some "action shots"...

Bob

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Here we are at the end of Day three..... Whew!!

If ANYONE is considering putting down a solar array without at least looking at the underlying paper first... you should reconsider things.

My installers have been up there for 3 days, on a 21 year old concrete tile roof. Yea, they had some vents to move, but most of it was in reworking the roof, and up to now, it was more of a proactive exercise.

Today, doing the last area they found a large area of scabbed together paper pieces. It wasent leaking, but who knows for how long. I cant imagine pulling all my solar panels up to expose the roof, then repair it, and then put it all back down!! I am SO glad I'm doing this now, and to uncover some shoddy previous workmanship in the process is iceing on the cake...

They ran and secured half the mounting racks today, that part seems to go pretty quickly. The other half of the racking tomorrow and the cabling and micro inverters go down as well.

I checked with SCE to see if my Net Metering agreement has gone through yet.... nope.

Its looking real good.... I'll shimmy up the ladder tomorrow to post some "action shots"...

Bob
                              Thank you for the "person on the roof" endorsement and reinforcement of the get your roof inspected/serviced before solar hounding rant that many of us have been on about for so long.

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

Happy to do so. My price per watt isnt the lowest in that other thread.... but I'll take The Pepsi Challenge with those other quotes anyday......

I couldnt imagine removing the racks / panels and start looking for leaks ......

Thanks for the support!!!

Comment

Working...