X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

I may be wrong, but I do not see either a fuse or CB protection for that #6 solar feeder wire. It appears to me that a short would draw the entire 200 amps from the main onto a #6 wire....this is a fire waiting to happen.

Edit....upon further review it may be even worse than a 200 amp draw..the # 6 solar wires are connected directly to the utility feed without protection. Time for a pro to take a closer look.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
      I may be wrong, but I do not see either a fuse or CB protection for that #6 solar feeder wire. It appears to me that a short would draw the entire 200 amps from the main onto a #6 wire....this is a fire waiting to happen.

Edit....upon further review it may be even worse than a 200 amp draw..the # 6 solar wires are connected directly to the utility feed without protection. Time for a pro to take a closer look.
      That is my concern too. I am hoping that there are fuses inside that SQ D disconnect switch. They would protect the PV power wires connected in the transfer switch.

Comment

• DanS26
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
        That is my concern too. I am hoping that there are fuses inside that SQ D disconnect switch. They would protect the PV power wires connected in the transfer switch.
        Just plain dangerous. Even if the the SQ D switch has fuses there is ~6' of undersized and unprotected wire. If no fuses in that switch or the outside switch then the entire system is extremely dangerous.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Just plain dangerous. Even if the the SQ D switch has fuses there is ~6' of undersized and unprotected wire. If no fuses in that switch or the outside switch then the entire system is extremely dangerous.
          I can't tell what size wire is being used. The system diagram shows a 40A breaker so if there are 40A fuses in the SQ D switch and he is using #8 or larger wire then they are protected.

As you said. No fuses in the SQ D switch would be very dangerous since the next upstream "over current" protection is probably in the Inverter.

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

I can't tell what size wire is being used. The system diagram shows a 40A breaker so if there are 40A fuses in the SQ D switch and he is using #8 or larger wire then they are protected.

As you said. No fuses in the SQ D switch would be very dangerous since the next upstream "over current" protection is probably in the Inverter.
            The Fronius 7.5 requires a #6 wire from inverter to utility connection IF the installer is reading the manufacturers instructions. It is apparent that he is not following NEC codes.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

The Fronius 7.5 requires a #6 wire from inverter to utility connection IF the installer is reading the manufacturers instructions. It is apparent that he is not following NEC codes.
              I must have missed the Fronius 7.5 model somewhere.

I was going by the electrical drawing in post #16 that shows the wiring between the SQ D switch at #8 wire. It is tagged by the letter C which indicates 3 #8 wire.

Comment

• DanS26
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2011

I must have missed the Fronius 7.5 model somewhere.

I was going by the electrical drawing in post #16 that shows the wiring between the SQ D switch at #8 wire. It is tagged by the letter C which indicates 3 #8 wire.
                See post #1, first sentence second paragraph....."MTU2 is for a 7500KW solar system". The inverter pics appear to be a Fronius IG Plus V 7.5.

Time for the installer to answer some questions and if this installation is non-compliant to make the necessary corrections.

Makes you wonder where the inspector was in this installation.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

See post #1, first sentence second paragraph....."MTU2 is for a 7500KW solar system". The inverter pics appear to be a Fronius IG Plus V 7.5.

Time for the installer to answer some questions and if this installation is non-compliant to make the necessary corrections.

Makes you wonder where the inspector was in this installation.
                  Yep. I see the reference now.

It is possible the wires are #6 with the appropriate fusing in the SQ D switch but I am just guessing at this point.

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

Yep. I see the reference now.

It is possible the wires are #6 with the appropriate fusing in the SQ D switch but I am just guessing at this point.
                    Fuses at the switch would help but still would not make the installation compliant with NEC rules.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Fuses at the switch would help but still would not make the installation compliant with NEC rules.
                      I have to go back and research a little more but maybe the 1/3 amp 10ft tap rule fits. (200amp panel with 6 feet of #6 wire rated ~65amps being terminated at the switch with 60amp fuses).

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

I have to go back and research a little more but maybe the 1/3 amp 10ft tap rule fits. (200amp panel with 6 feet of #6 wire rated ~65amps being terminated at the switch with 60amp fuses).
                        The application of any tap rule is a little clouded in the PV inverter output circuit case, since the wire gets power from both ends, although only substantial short circuit current from the POCO facing end.
                        It is not clear to me that the rules for sizing inverter output wiring, which are not in Chapter 2, are subject to overriding by the tap rules in that chapter.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                          The application of any tap rule is a little clouded in the PV inverter output circuit case, since the wire gets power from both ends, although only substantial short circuit current from the POCO facing end.
                          It is not clear to me that the rules for sizing inverter output wiring, which are not in Chapter 2, are subject to overriding by the tap rules in that chapter.
                          Yeah it is still fuzzy to me. I was hoping for someone very familiar with the NEC PV code would chime in. I certainly would have put a breaker or fuses before connecting those pv wires to the transfer switch.

Comment

• RiggedCT
                            • Jun 2014

Yeah it is still fuzzy to me. I was hoping for someone very familiar with the NEC PV code would chime in. I certainly would have put a breaker or fuses before connecting those pv wires to the transfer switch.
                            Like I said on the TED-5000 forum.

But this installation passed 3 separate inspections. One from the RGS solar electrical Engineer, One from the local Town Inspector, and one From United Illumination
                            Is it possible that all 3 got it wrong? I am not being sarcastic. I am truly asking. What more information do you guys need? Another picture with more detail? Let me know.
                            [URL="http://tinyurl.com/o7g8hzo"]PV_OUTPUT[/URL]

Comment

• RiggedCT
                              • Jun 2014

Ok. Here is what I think from postings here and other places. Mind you I am far from qualified. Feel free to tell me I am an idiot.

GREEN = The Power coming from the Panels.

LIGHT BLUE Outside Disconnect for Utilities Provider

YELLOW AC Path (Generated Power)

RED Disconnect before tie in. Would there not be fuses in here? That seems logical to someone who has no clue. I will Check on it Saturday night when I get home and take a picture.

[URL="http://tinyurl.com/o7g8hzo"]PV_OUTPUT[/URL]

Comment

• DanS26
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by RiggedCT
                                Like I said on the TED-5000 forum.

Is it possible that all 3 got it wrong? I am not being sarcastic. I am truly asking. What more information do you guys need? Another picture with more detail? Let me know.
                                Simple, just open up the Square D switches....if you see fuses you're OK.

Comment

Working...