X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RiggedCT
    • Jun 2014

found.

After further investigation this morning. It turns out the 2 wires going into that breaker only power the LOCUS (the open box in the picture below.) card. has nothing to do with incoming from the inverter.

Below is a diagram I found in the packet I got from RGS. Can someone tell me how the energy is getting from the Inverter to the Main Panel? And where I need to put the CT's?

[URL="http://tinyurl.com/o7g8hzo"]PV_OUTPUT[/URL]

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Glad you found the problem....Sherlock Holmes was right....

"As Sherlock Holmes would say...after eliminating all the possibilities you are left with only the obvious.....the CT's are not properly clamping on the solar lines....."

Comment

• DanS26
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2011

Below is a diagram I found in the packet I got from RGS. Can someone tell me how the energy is getting from the Inverter to the Main Panel? And where I need to put the CT's?

Per the diagram it is a 40amp double pole breaker. How many of those do you have in your panel?

Comment

• gregvet
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RiggedCT
          After further investigation this morning. It turns out the 2 wires going into that breaker only power the LOCUS (the open box in the picture below.) card. has nothing to do with incoming from the inverter.

Does the Inverter output go to the breaker (I assume) to the right of the LOCUS (the open box), if that is the case, the CTs can be clamped around the 2 wires coming into the Breaker. That is the way I did mine and it works fine. If not, follow the output wires from the inverter or the breaker to where it enters your panel and clamp around those wires in the panel.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gregvet
            Does the Inverter output go to the breaker (I assume) to the right of the LOCUS (the open box), if that is the case, the CTs can be clamped around the 2 wires coming into the Breaker. That is the way I did mine and it works fine. If not, follow the output wires from the inverter or the breaker to where it enters your panel and clamp around those wires in the panel.
            Your wiring diagram shows the Inverter output going first to the Production Meter, then to a SQ D disconnect switch (probably the one to the right of the LOCUS box) and then to a 40 amp breaker in your Main Panel.

What I can't see is where that grey flexible conduit coming from the SQ D disconnect enters your panel in those pictures. Those should have the AC output wiring from the Inverter and where you install the TED CT's.

Comment

• RiggedCT
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
              Your wiring diagram shows the Inverter output going first to the Production Meter, then to a SQ D disconnect switch (probably the one to the right of the LOCUS box) and then to a 40 amp breaker in your Main Panel.

What I can't see is where that grey flexible conduit coming from the SQ D disconnect enters your panel in those pictures. Those should have the AC output wiring from the Inverter and where you install the TED CT's.

Where I labeled MTU2 is where I thought the power entered the panel. I am pretty sure this is wrong as I turn off that breaker and the only thing that goes off is the LOCUS card.

I spent some time on the phone today with Bob from TED. It turns out I was on crack. This is the system I have is

So I had the CT's for MTU2 on 2 wires that only power the LOCUS card. I will have to get the CT's around the 2 wires that run through the flexcore in the picture below. I am planing on using the punchout on the side of the meter. Does anyone have any advice about this? *I am going to do this Wednesday night since I have the night off.

Does this make sense SunEagle?

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

No.

That diagram does not show any type of DC or AC power disconnect or your solar production meter. Although it does mention a "transfer switch or junction box"

If you can open up the box that is to the left of your power panel. I think you will find the wires that come from that SQ D disconnect under that meter go there. And the power from the Utility also goes into that box because your main power cables that you labeled MTU#1 come out of it. I believe that box is the "junction box" that is in that diagram.

If so then the wires that come from that SQ D disconnect are you solar AC wires and where you connect the CT's for your MTU# 2.

Comment

• RiggedCT
                  • Jun 2014

No.

That diagram does not show any type of DC or AC power disconnect or your solar production meter. Although it does mention a "transfer switch or junction box"

If you can open up the box that is to the left of your power panel. I think you will find the wires that come from that SQ D disconnect under that meter go there. And the power from the Utility also goes into that box because your main power cables that you labeled MTU#1 come out of it. I believe that box is the "junction box" that is in that diagram.

If so then the wires that come from that SQ D disconnect are you solar AC wires and where you connect the CT's for your MTU# 2.
                  The box to the left of the main panel is for the 20,000kw Generac Generator and transfer switch. I will open this up tomorrow and take a picture. I am see what you are saying.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

The box to the left of the main panel is for the 20,000kw Generac Generator and transfer switch. As far as I know it has nothing to do with the solar setup. I have gone over the main panel 3 times and the only breakers that were added for the solar were the ones for the LOCUS.
                    Check to see if any additional wires are landed in the transfer switch. The SQ D disconnect is probably wired to that meter and then the wires from that SQ D disconnect have to go somewhere. There also looks like some type of interconnection between the SQ D switch and the LOCUS unit.

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Check to see if any additional wires are landed in the transfer switch. The SQ D disconnect is probably wired to that meter and then the wires from that SQ D disconnect have to go somewhere. There also looks like some type of interconnection between the SQ D switch and the LOCUS unit.
                      A connection to the transfer switch is particularly likely since a grid tie inverter needs to be wired up in such a way that it is NOT connected when the house is on generator rather than on grid power.
                      Trying to "sell" power to a generator will either cause the GTI to shut down (if you are lucky) or will destroy the generator.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                        A connection to the transfer switch is particularly likely since a grid tie inverter needs to be wired up in such a way that it is NOT connected when the house is on generator rather than on grid power.
                        Trying to "sell" power to a generator will either cause the GTI to shut down (if you are lucky) or will destroy the generator.
                        Yeah. You would have thought that the solar power would have been terminated in the Main panel through a 2 pole breaker. I am thinking they made the connection in the transfer switch.

If that SQ D disconnect has fuses inside and it is terminated at the transfer switch then you may not need to have another over-current protection breaker in the panel. Just a thought that he needs to check out.

That entire system is wired pretty weird.

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

So I had the CT's for MTU2 on 2 wires that only power the LOCUS card. I will have to get the CT's around the 2 wires that run through the flexcore in the picture below.

Since that cable runs to the inverter, you could put them in there. The Fronius has some space
                          in the bottom section. Open that bottom door & a couple screws will remove the panels covering
                          the space with all the wiring. No need to disconnect existing wires. Bruce Roe

Comment

• gregvet
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                            Since that cable runs to the inverter, you could put them in there. The Fronius has some space
                            in the bottom section. Open that bottom door & a couple screws will remove the panels covering
                            the space with all the wiring. No need to disconnect existing wires. Bruce Roe
                            He will have to run the wires on the CT from here to the neutral bus as well as to an "A" and "B" phase circuit in the panel.

Comment

• RiggedCT
                              • Jun 2014

Multiple MTU Solar with 20,000kw Generator and Transfer panel.

This was a good learning experience. I finally got it. I opened the transfer panel. The 3 cables coming out of that center punch in the transfer panel. I put the CT's on the 2 black cables and it was exactly what the front of the inverter was showing. Now, My question is. Should MTU1 be LOAD or ADJUSTED LOAD?

Comment

• gregvet
                                • Feb 2014

This was a good learning experience. I finally got it. I opened the transfer panel. The 3 cables coming out of that center punch in the transfer panel. I put the CT's on the 2 black cables and it was exactly what the front of the inverter was showing. Now, My question is. Should MTU1 be LOAD or ADJUSTED LOAD?
                                Where is MTU1? If it's CTs are connected around the power lines coming from the grid, I would probably assign it as load and the CTs coming from the inverter as generation. On the TED 5000 footprint software, you will see 2 MTUs (1 and 2) as well as a net. I have 3 MTUs as I have 2 panels(load) and 1 inverter(generation). My net is sum of all three as the generation is assigned as a negative number.

Comment

Working...