X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buellwinkle
    • Aug 2014

I don't agree, I think it's best to get the very lowest bid you can, then use that as leverage to get a better deal from the vendor of your choice. Many times you are paying for the overhead of their aggressive marketing and commissions rather than an honest install. Never equate price with quality.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by buellwinkle
      I don't agree, I think it's best to get the very lowest bid you can, then use that as leverage to get a better deal from the vendor of your choice. Many times you are paying for the overhead of their aggressive marketing and commissions rather than an honest install. Never equate price with quality.
      I'd agree with some of that on a casual basis. However, having been on both sides of the table, I've come to the further opinion that if squeezed too hard on price or particulars, a vendor will find ways to maximize/salvage their profit in ways that customers will never know or suspect. That's part of the logic behind the statement that it's bad to pay too much, but worse to pay too little.

Unless your prepared to be a real PITA, hand's on, project manager, that price hammer can easily become an impetus for corner cutting. Fair, hard negotiating is one thing. It may be wise to think about and realize when the squeezing may perhaps become counterproductive.

It's also been my experience that Dutch auction type of logic with vendors does not get the lowest price. If vendors know where they need to be because you told them, they'll go $.01 under that bid, because that's all they need to go. They'll go lower than that if they can or choose to and don't know where they need to be.

Comment

• buellwinkle
        • Aug 2014

I don't think so. The trick is to make sure the bid specifies each major component like the inverters, panels, racks and such. My local city inspectors are very detailed, even down to finding the wrong Amp used, the wrong gauge wire, placement of components. And regardless of what I pay, I'll be on my roof, taking pictures before and after to make sure they don't break tiles and replace damaged tiles, that they are neat about how they run wires in my attic, that they electrical components are mounted professionally. If they bait-n-switch, they are messing with the wrong guy in my case.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

I don't think so. The trick is to make sure the bid specifies each major component like the inverters, panels, racks and such. My local city inspectors are very detailed, even down to finding the wrong Amp used, the wrong gauge wire, placement of components. And regardless of what I pay, I'll be on my roof, taking pictures before and after to make sure they don't break tiles and replace damaged tiles, that they are neat about how they run wires in my attic, that they electrical components are mounted professionally. If they bait-n-switch, they are messing with the wrong guy in my case.
          You don't know the game - a good salesman will and he could take you to the cleaners. Going for bottom dollar is a good way to get royally screwed.

Messing with the wrong guy sounds silly.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
            You don't know the game - a good salesman will and he could take you to the cleaners. Going for bottom dollar is a good way to get royally screwed.

Messing with the wrong guy sounds silly.
            I agree with you russ. Going with the lowest bid can sometimes get you into a p***ing match with what they provide and what you think they should provide.

As for "messing with the wrong guy", maybe he is an Attorney and can bring legal action down on someone.

Comment

• Tee2
              • Aug 2014

Would you mind PMing me your installer's info?

Originally posted by Bikerscum
              Thanks to all for steering me through the maze!

I ended up with...

6.05 kw - 22 Solarworld 275 mono black panels
              22 Solaredge P300 optimizers
              Solaredge 6k inverter

$3.55/w = $21,478 before credit
              $2.48/w = $15,034 after credit

The company is well established, with an actual showroom with panels on display, mounting systems, etc. 44 all positive reviews on Yelp, "A" rating from BBB.

I feel a lot more comfortable than with some of the other places I've been dealing with.

Thanks again!

Now the waiting...

Comment

• Bikerscum
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Tee2
                Would you mind PMing me your installer's info?
                PM sent, but with only 1 post I don't know if you can read it.
                6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• Tee2
                  • Aug 2014

I got it, thanks a lot!

Comment

• buellwinkle
                    • Aug 2014

Not an attorney but have a legal plan through work for defense, advice and stuff, but the only thing they prosecute on is product defect/liability. But I had a contractor that messed up, didn't show for work and filed a complaint with the state contractor license board and he actually lost his contractor's license. I work with contractors all the time being on two HOA boards and having several properties myself, so I'm pretty good at getting what I expect. This country's infrastructure and maintenance is built on "low bid". We sent a man to the moon and back on "low bid".

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Not an attorney but have a legal plan through work for defense, advice and stuff, but the only thing they prosecute on is product defect/liability. But I had a contractor that messed up, didn't show for work and filed a complaint with the state contractor license board and he actually lost his contractor's license. I work with contractors all the time being on two HOA boards and having several properties myself, so I'm pretty good at getting what I expect. This country's infrastructure and maintenance is built on "low bid". We sent a man to the moon and back on "low bid".
                      I agree that a vast majority of projects are done by the "low bidders". I have over 35 years of capital project management experience in the industrial facility area and I can tell you that while the "low bid" gets in you sometimes have to watch them like a hawk to make sure you are getting what you want. Sometimes the installation details are fuzzy and a Contractor will provide you with an "acceptable" piece of equipment although not what you really asked for. The key is to get clarity on the project before something gets installed. Getting it replaced usually pushes out the completion date so you have to decide to either to be late or use something that you really did not want in the first place.

It just takes some due diligence by the Project manager or the people that work for him to have a clear idea of what is being installed throughout the job and to have contingency plans when (as it always does) something goes wrong.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

This country's infrastructure and maintenance is built on "low bid". We sent a man to the moon and back on "low bid".
                        100% wrong - low bid to specifications - a totally different thing.

Your low bid is a suckers game.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Bikerscum
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

And now on to Plan B

I SWEAR the new code with the 3' setbacks was written exclusively to screw me. It had to be, it did too good a job just to be coincidence. My roof is cluttered with dormers, peaks, ridges, etc. Fitting all of the Solarworld panels just wasn't going to happen. We tried to sneak a few through in the permitting process, encroaching a foot or so into forbidden territory. Nope, the city was having none of it. The next best plan was to put panels on a lower roof with shade from both sides.

I finally just got tired of the whole thing & did what I should have done in the first place, went to LG 300 panels. Now everything fits on the main roof, price went from $3.55/w to $4.00/watt, 6kw system. (With Solaredge optimizers & inverter) After credits it'll be $1800 more out of pocket. And it will be done.

They charged me just the difference in price from the Solarworld panels to the LG, no extra markups, etc. Those LG300's are expensive... about $450 ea. on the web.

So, another permit submission & I wait. Again.
                          6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• golisai
                            • Sep 2014

Can you please PM your installer info to me also - thanks

PM sent, but with only 1 post I don't know if you can read it.

Comment

• golisai
                              • Sep 2014

Got your PM. Will give them a call. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by golisai
                              Can you please PM your installer info to me also - thanks

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

I SWEAR the new code with the 3' setbacks was written exclusively to screw me. It had to be, it did too good a job just to be coincidence. My roof is cluttered with dormers, peaks, ridges, etc. Fitting all of the Solarworld panels just wasn't going to happen. We tried to sneak a few through in the permitting process, encroaching a foot or so into forbidden territory. Nope, the city was having none of it. The next best plan was to put panels on a lower roof with shade from both sides.

I finally just got tired of the whole thing & did what I should have done in the first place, went to LG 300 panels. Now everything fits on the main roof, price went from $3.55/w to $4.00/watt, 6kw system. (With Solaredge optimizers & inverter) After credits it'll be $1800 more out of pocket. And it will be done.

They charged me just the difference in price from the Solarworld panels to the LG, no extra markups, etc. Those LG300's are expensive... about $450 ea. on the web.

So, another permit submission & I wait. Again.

Ouch..... Don't worry, you got nice panels setup and they are worth the extra money. I'll do the same as you instead of using the same panels with a smaller system. You will thank youself later when you spend the additional money for the cool Summer days.

Comment

Working...