X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bikerscum
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Finally signed the deal here in the SF Bay area

Thanks to all for steering me through the maze!

I ended up with...

6.05 kw - 22 Solarworld 275 mono black panels
    22 Solaredge P300 optimizers
    Solaredge 6k inverter

$3.55/w = $21,478 before credit
    $2.48/w = $15,034 after credit

The company is well established, with an actual showroom with panels on display, mounting systems, etc. 44 all positive reviews on Yelp, "A" rating from BBB.

I feel a lot more comfortable than with some of the other places I've been dealing with.

Thanks again!

Now the waiting...
    6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000
  • Dumbcluck
    • Jul 2014

congrats

congratulations bikerscum. sounds like you made out better than originally planned.
    but will there be no refund from the state? has pg&e run out of solar dough?
    it looks as though you are only calculating in the federal 30%

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Bikerscum

I ended up with...

Solaredge 6k inverter

The company is well established, with an actual showroom with panels on display, mounting systems, etc. 44 all positive reviews on Yelp, "A" rating from BBB.

I feel a lot more comfortable than with some of the other places I've been dealing with.

Thanks again!

Now the waiting...
      Take a deep breath and go have a beer. Congrads.

Comment

• Bikerscum
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Dumbcluck
        congratulations bikerscum. sounds like you made out better than originally planned.
        but will there be no refund from the state? has pg&e run out of solar dough?
        it looks as though you are only calculating in the federal 30%
        No more state $$.... they ran out. You can get on a list I think in case it gets funded again.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
          • Jul 2014

oh. didn't realize the state ran out too. I thought it was just pg&e that used up all their dough. I guess its the same thing though.

Comment

• mdpo
            • Aug 2014

re:

Originally posted by Bikerscum

I ended up with...

Solaredge 6k inverter

Thanks again!

Now the waiting...
            Wow great price. Do they serve LA? I have been looking around and lowest so far is $4/w.

Comment

• Bikerscum
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2014

I'm pretty sure they only do the SF Bay area.

From what I've seen though, LA is cheaper than up here. You should be able to match that price I would think.

Good luck!

Comment

• Whyamihere
                • Aug 2014

Looks like I need to keep shopping....thats a great deal!

Comment

• thejq
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Whyamihere
                  Looks like I need to keep shopping....thats a great deal!
                  In San Diego I was be to get $3.4/w for the solar world with Enphase m250 or solar edge without even trying really hard. Go to solarreviews.com and yelp find all those all good reviews and start calling. Some installers will price match so you can get a cheap quote from a small installer but have a more reputable installer match it. It doesn't hurt to get 10 quotes if you have the time to call.
                  16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• Tyler
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by thejq
                    In San Diego I was be to get $3.4/w for the solar world with Enphase m250 or solar edge without even trying really hard. Go to solarreviews.com and yelp find all those all good reviews and start calling. Some installers will price match so you can get a cheap quote from a small installer but have a more reputable installer match it. It doesn't hurt to get 10 quotes if you have the time to call.
                    The first quote or two are the worst as your knowledge base is limited and there is usually a presentation to go along with them as well. At this point you should be more knowledgeable and or know what questions you want to ask. To save yourself time, write down the questions you want to know and the specifics you want. When calling have a check list and go through it. They will realize you know more than the average person and usually cut through the BS rather quickly. I got 8 quotes and by the end it was a short conversation and told them what they needed to beat to get my business.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tyler
                      The first quote or two are the worst as your knowledge base is limited and there is usually a presentation to go along with them as well. At this point you should be more knowledgeable and or know what questions you want to ask. To save yourself time, write down the questions you want to know and the specifics you want. When calling have a check list and go through it. They will realize you know more than the average person and usually cut through the BS rather quickly. I got 8 quotes and by the end it was a short conversation and told them what they needed to beat to get my business.
                      I'd add to that:

I'd suggest that before considering solar, understand that solar electricity is almost always the least cost effective way to reduce an electric bill. Learn and consider ways to reduce your usage as much as possible with the more cost effective methods first (in some loose order of cost effectiveness: lifestyle changes, conservation, other equipment upgrades).

After that:

1.) Don't put the cart before the horse. Do your homework before you get quotes.
                      - Start by figuring out how much electricity you use, how much of your annual load offset with solar is the most cost effective, and then decide how much of your annual load you want to replace, which may or may not be the most cost effective choice.
                      - As an opinion - Knowing the most cost effective choice(s) in no way prohibits you from other, equally valid (as you see your priorities), but less cost effective choices, but it does no harm to have more information as input to the decision making process.
                      - Understand the basics of solar electric before you call vendors. Also, as Tyler writes, and as a bonus, you'll cut through the B.S. quicker.

2.) As much as you are able, try to know the answers to your questions before you ask them of the vendors. Ask vendors questions not to obtain answers, but to gauge, among other things, their knowledgeability and honesty. Be proactive with questions, not reactive to vendor spun answers couched to close a sale. You're the buyer, put yourself in the driver's seat.

3.) Low price is good, but a fair, competitive price from a reputable, established vendor is, IMO, better, and is cheap insurance. This is one of the last places to cheap out, but unfortunately, often one of the hardest to judge.

Comment

• Whyamihere
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                        I'd add to that:

I'd suggest that before considering solar, understand that solar electricity is almost always the least cost effective way to reduce an electric bill. Learn and consider ways to reduce your usage as much as possible with the more cost effective methods first (in some loose order of cost effectiveness: lifestyle changes, conservation, other equipment upgrades).

After that:

1.) Don't put the cart before the horse. Do your homework before you get quotes.
                        - Start by figuring out how much electricity you use, how much of your annual load offset with solar is the most cost effective, and then decide how much of your annual load you want to replace, which may or may not be the most cost effective choice.
                        - As an opinion - Knowing the most cost effective choice(s) in no way prohibits you from other, equally valid (as you see your priorities), but less cost effective choices, but it does no harm to have more information as input to the decision making process.
                        - Understand the basics of solar electric before you call vendors. Also, as Tyler writes, and as a bonus, you'll cut through the B.S. quicker.

2.) As much as you are able, try to know the answers to your questions before you ask them of the vendors. Ask vendors questions not to obtain answers, but to gauge, among other things, their knowledgeability and honesty. Be proactive with questions, not reactive to vendor spun answers couched to close a sale. You're the buyer, put yourself in the driver's seat.

3.) Low price is good, but a fair, competitive price from a reputable, established vendor is, IMO, better, and is cheap insurance. This is one of the last places to cheap out, but unfortunately, often one of the hardest to judge.

The best "deal" doesn't mean it's the least expensive....

Comment

• csriram45
                          • Apr 2011

Pls share details of the installer

I am in SF Bay area. While I have few quotes, would like to get to know who you installed with etc. Can you please PM me the info?

Comment

• Bikerscum
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2014

PM sent.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Whyamihere
                              The best "deal" doesn't mean it's the least expensive....
                              Pretty much exactly and precisely.

Comment

Working...