X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejq
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Just talked to my installer again about the SolarEdge warranty. He emailed me a document from SolarEdge about their reimbursement policy for licensed installers. It reads

"REIMBURSEMENT RATES
    For each occurrence of a site visit resulting in equipment replacement under an
    authorized RMA, SolarEdge will authorize payment of $50 per RMA (travel
    reimbursement), plus $25 per item (equipment reimbursement) which is removed and
    replaced. If the installation has a fully functioning internet connection and SolarEdge has
    had the opportunity to diagnose and remedy the problem remotely, the travel
    reimbursement increases to $100.

So basically my installer will get $100 for travel and $25 for replacing each item. So they won't charge me anything as long as this policy doesn't change later on or their labor suddenly become more expensive. BTW, I can't find this document on SolarEdge's website, so it must be between them and the installer only, aka not for DIY. He also mentioned that Enphase has a similar policy, which is why most of the installers told me they cover the replacement labor also.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• zhyue2003
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by thejq
      Just talked to my installer again about the SolarEdge warranty. He emailed me a document from SolarEdge about their reimbursement policy for licensed installers. It reads

"REIMBURSEMENT RATES
      For each occurrence of a site visit resulting in equipment replacement under an
      authorized RMA, SolarEdge will authorize payment of $50 per RMA (travel
      reimbursement), plus $25 per item (equipment reimbursement) which is removed and
      replaced. If the installation has a fully functioning internet connection and SolarEdge has
      had the opportunity to diagnose and remedy the problem remotely, the travel
      reimbursement increases to $100.

So basically my installer will get $100 for travel and $25 for replacing each item. So they won't charge me anything as long as this policy doesn't change later on or their labor suddenly become more expensive. BTW, I can't find this document on SolarEdge's website, so it must be between them and the installer only, aka not for DIY. He also mentioned that Enphase has a similar policy, which is why most of the installers told me they cover the replacement labor also.
      Thanks very much for sharing. I will ask the installers I have been interacting with about this.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy
        However, I was not trying to take this thread off course - I was just trying to counter the 'no-labor-warranty' comment that was made - not all feel replacing a microinverter to be a difficult item.
        OK - You just placed yourself in the 1% but seem to want to speak for the 99%?

On the roof most anything under a panel probably won't be easy to work with.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CraziFuzzy
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by russ
          OK - You just placed yourself in the 1% but seem to want to speak for the 99%?

On the roof most anything under a panel probably won't be easy to work with.
          Its amazing hardware stores stay in business when only 1% of the population are capable of climbing a ladder and removing 5 bolts and 3 wire connections.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Its amazing hardware stores stay in business when only 1% of the population are capable of climbing a ladder and removing 5 bolts and 3 wire connections.
            True. But if those bolts and wires are under a 72 cell 4' x 6' panel in the middle of a solar array, it will require someone that will have to remove some large and heavy equipment using a ladder and not damage anything while doing so. Not something most home owners will want or even try to do.

If you have full access to the micro-inverter between each row of panels without having to remove good ones to get to the bad one then you will get more participation for DYI.

Dismantling the array to get to a bad device in the middle is not for the weak of mind or back.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Get real - it is not that easy in most cases and 6" above the roof normally - the inverter being under the panel.

Besides, DIY stuff at home is like most people buying plants - the suppliers generally don't (didn't 40 years back) worry if the tree is the correct variety or not - virtually all die or the owner moves before the first flowers or fruit come.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• CraziFuzzy
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by russ
                Get real - it is not that easy in most cases and 6" above the roof normally - the inverter being under the panel.
                That's why I said 5 bolts instead of 1. Look, I already said I didn't want to take this thread off course, and you, the moderator, are the one escalating it.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

That's why I said 5 bolts instead of 1. Look, I already said I didn't want to take this thread off course, and you, the moderator, are the one escalating it.
                  Get real and stop whining.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• darkhelmet
                    • Jul 2014

Quick update:

I went back to a previous quote and they have agreed to price match the $3.25 per kw. This company is a large private installer working with Costco.

Here are the specifics:

5.2 kw system
                    20 REC Solar 260 Panels
                    20 Solaredge optimizers
                    Solaredge SE5000 inverter
                    $16900

They claim to cover labor and parts for 10 years but I am trying to get very specific wording to make sure they will replace those optimizers for free for 10 years.

Now the question is do I go with Suniva Panels/Enphase Microinverters from the smaller local company or Rec Solar/Solaredge from the large company?

Comment

• thejq
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by darkhelmet
                      Quick update:

I went back to a previous quote and they have agreed to price match the $3.25 per kw. This company is a large private installer working with Costco.

Here are the specifics:

5.2 kw system
                      20 REC Solar 260 Panels
                      20 Solaredge optimizers
                      Solaredge SE5000 inverter
                      $16900

They claim to cover labor and parts for 10 years but I am trying to get very specific wording to make sure they will replace those optimizers for free for 10 years.

Now the question is do I go with Suniva Panels/Enphase Microinverters from the smaller local company or Rec Solar/Solaredge from the large company?
                      Both systems are comparable. If you pick system 1, it's better to get the M250 since M215 will clip once a while. If system 2, it's better to get SE6000, since the price difference is only about $50. SE5000 max'd out at 5.4KW which is really close to your output. $50 for some safety margin is well worth it. Unless the local company is very diversified and financially stable, I'd go with REC solar. Don't forget Costco rebates if you pay through Costco.
                      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• silversaver
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by thejq
                        Both systems are comparable. If you pick system 1, it's better to get the M250 since M215 will clip once a while. If system 2, it's better to get SE6000, since the price difference is only about $50. SE5000 max'd out at 5.4KW which is really close to your output. $50 for some safety margin is well worth it. Unless the local company is very diversified and financially stable, I'd go with REC solar. Don't forget Costco rebates if you pay through Costco.
                        That is a good suggestion, but I'll add some inputs. It will leave room for you to expand, but you must expand from original installer if you want to keep your warranty. When you expand at later time, it will cost you $$$$$$ and lots of them. I just recently add 2 more panels to my solar array and they are EXPENSIVE. You don't have any chance to negotiate the deal.

If you want to go larger, do it NOW.

Comment

• darkhelmet
                          • Jul 2014

Quick update..

About to sign with Sunrun, they sweetened the deal to $3.15 per kw but ran into some language in the contract I didn't like. The first thing is they don't paint the conduit, which I would like them to do.

The second thing was more of a problem. Throughout the process they've been saying they cover all repairs and labor for 10 years, which sounds good to me. The problem is their contract seems to contradict this.

Case in point. Here is the section about the warranty:

8.10.1 LIMITED WARRANTIES. We provide a limited warranty of ten (10) years (the “Warranty Period”) counted from the date the permit is signed by the building inspector. We warrant that the electrical generation output of the System will not be less than 85% of the output measured upon completion of our installation as a result of defects in material we supplied or work we performed to install the System (the “Limited Warranty”). We also warrant that seals we make on any roofing penetrations will not fail during the Warranty Period (the “Limited Roofing Warranty”). Further, we warrant correct workmanship in installing panel upgrades for a period of one year after installation. Collectively, the foregoing are the “Limited Warranties”.
                          During the Warranty Period, we will at our expense repair or replace any material or workmanship covered by the Limited Warranties. The modules and inverters installed as part of the System are covered by separate manufacturer warranties. We will provide you reasonable assistance in contacting manufacturers. If a manufacturer fails to pay us for services to correct the deficiency, we will bill you for that service at our standard rate for time and materials.

I bolded the relevant parts. Two problems with this. 1. I am buying the Panels, inverter and optimizers directly through Coscto as part of this deal. 2. Based on my reading of Solaredge's warranty, they do not cover labor to replace their failed equipment.

This next section of the warranty is another problem for me:

8.10.3 WARRANTY EXCEPTIONS AND EXCLUSIONS. The Limited Warranties do not apply to (1) work performed with materials not purchased by us;

Again, I am purchasing the Panels, inverter and optimizers directly through Costco. Since Sunrun didn't purchase the equipment it sounds like it is excluded from warranty.

Anyone have any experience with Sunrun warranty claims? I've sent an email saying they will need to modify the contract to specifically cover labor to repair the Panels, Inverter and Optimizers so we will see what they say.

Am I being to paranoid?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Quick update..

About to sign with Sunrun, they sweetened the deal to $3.15 per kw but ran into some language in the contract I didn't like. The first thing is they don't paint the conduit, which I would like them to do.

The second thing was more of a problem. Throughout the process they've been saying they cover all repairs and labor for 10 years, which sounds good to me. The problem is their contract seems to contradict this.

Case in point. Here is the section about the warranty:

8.10.1 LIMITED WARRANTIES. We provide a limited warranty of ten (10) years (the “Warranty Period”) counted from the date the permit is signed by the building inspector. We warrant that the electrical generation output of the System will not be less than 85% of the output measured upon completion of our installation as a result of defects in material we supplied or work we performed to install the System (the “Limited Warranty”). We also warrant that seals we make on any roofing penetrations will not fail during the Warranty Period (the “Limited Roofing Warranty”). Further, we warrant correct workmanship in installing panel upgrades for a period of one year after installation. Collectively, the foregoing are the “Limited Warranties”.
                            During the Warranty Period, we will at our expense repair or replace any material or workmanship covered by the Limited Warranties. The modules and inverters installed as part of the System are covered by separate manufacturer warranties. We will provide you reasonable assistance in contacting manufacturers. If a manufacturer fails to pay us for services to correct the deficiency, we will bill you for that service at our standard rate for time and materials.

I bolded the relevant parts. Two problems with this. 1. I am buying the Panels, inverter and optimizers directly through Coscto as part of this deal. 2. Based on my reading of Solaredge's warranty, they do not cover labor to replace their failed equipment.

This next section of the warranty is another problem for me:

8.10.3 WARRANTY EXCEPTIONS AND EXCLUSIONS. The Limited Warranties do not apply to (1) work performed with materials not purchased by us;

Again, I am purchasing the Panels, inverter and optimizers directly through Costco. Since Sunrun didn't purchase the equipment it sounds like it is excluded from warranty.

Anyone have any experience with Sunrun warranty claims? I've sent an email saying they will need to modify the contract to specifically cover labor to repair the Panels, Inverter and Optimizers so we will see what they say.

Am I being to paranoid?
                            As always, absolutely regardless of what someone tells you, IF IT ISN'T IN WRITING, IT DOES NOT EXIST. If you do not get WRITTEN clarification to your satisfaction, don't sign. If you still have doubts, you can seek legal advice.

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Am I being to paranoid?
                              You are not being paranoid at all - the salesman is blowing smoke at you. They are not offering you much except telling you they will be billing you for most.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

They will send a team of 2 guys and charge you $125+ per hour per man, and that will be 2 X $125 @ $250 min. per hour. You will see them play around and charges you over $1000 just for labor. I have been dealing with a well known Socal Solar Company with A rating, and they still play this damn game.

Why do most installers using PVWatt with 0.77 factor? Not just they can sell you a larger system AND they can also decline your warranty since your estimated annual production were low and your production has to be -12% than that low number. For example, if your estimate annual production were 10,000kWh and your actual production has to be lower than 8800kWh to be considered having problem. In real life, your system probably can generate more than 11,000kWh per year. Great trick from this solar company.

Comment

Working...