X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Climate's what you expect. Weather's what you get.
    +1. well said.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Static Inverter Reset

New operational issue. The Fronius inverters have performed well for a couple years, running at
      clipping level much of every sunny day. The lower doors have a manually operated readout, and
      access a DC cutoff switch and some other stuff while running.

The other day I opened a door, and the inverter went into reset and power up cycle. It
      happened again, I don't need this. Lets see, the case is made of extruded aluminum, and
      the door is the same. A clever mechanical design allows the 2 to slide together without a
      separate hinge assembly. Well that is fine, except that aluminum likes to form a non
      conducting oxide coating. I theorize the door and case are no longer electrically connected,
      and static charge/discharge between them is disturbing the electronic controls.

Cure, I drilled & tapped some holes. Short wire jumpers were added at the top and bottom
      of the door hinge area, to keep the door securely connected to the case. Problem cured. I
      hope this doesn't mean radiation of radio interference will also be on the increase; it was in
      good shape initially. Otherwise, I will be adding more jumpers. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Hmm, there are 10 full grown turkeys wondering just outside the window now. This summer my
        PATHFINDER and I have been surveying my PV populated south acre. Earlier, I had often seen one
        PV half running at considerably less power than the other, because of shading. The relation between
        some of my panels and the trees is suboptimal.

Neither my southern lot line or anything else was square back there, as the satellite view shows.
        I spent a week surveying the area, and now can draw accurate N-S or E-W lines, and find things
        within an inch or so. A clump of trees in the NW corner was badly shading many strings from the
        setting sun. But there isn't much point trimming them unless they ALL are trimmed, and I wasn't
        sure whose land the 2 biggest trees were on. Well the new survey showed they were both on my
        lot by a couple inches, so now they are firewood. The extra sun is immediately obvious. Half a
        dozen other trees, small enough for me to control, will be trimmed.

Meantime the south border fence was rusting away and being replaced by weeds turning into real
        trees. That is stopping now, most of the 280' run is cleaned and a new fence is going up. Small
        mesh 6' high and electric fence up to 8' ought to keep out dogs, deer, and anything trying to climb
        over it. When all this is in order, relocation of existing panels can be accurate, shade free, and
        perhaps much easier to tilt for snow season. Won't be done this year. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
          Hmm, there are 10 full grown turkeys wondering just outside the window now. This summer my
          PATHFINDER and I have been surveying my PV populated south acre. Earlier, I had often seen one
          PV half running at considerably less power than the other, because of shading. The relation between
          some of my panels and the trees is suboptimal.

Neither my southern lot line or anything else was square back there, as the satellite view shows.
          I spent a week surveying the area, and now can draw accurate N-S or E-W lines, and find things
          within an inch or so. A clump of trees in the NW corner was badly shading many strings from the
          setting sun. But there isn't much point trimming them unless they ALL are trimmed, and I wasn't
          sure whose land the 2 biggest trees were on. Well the new survey showed they were both on my
          lot by a couple inches, so now they are firewood. The extra sun is immediately obvious. Half a
          dozen other trees, small enough for me to control, will be trimmed.

Meantime the south border fence was rusting away and being replaced by weeds turning into real
          trees. That is stopping now, most of the 280' run is cleaned and a new fence is going up. Small
          mesh 6' high and electric fence up to 8' ought to keep out dogs, deer, and anything trying to climb
          over it. When all this is in order, relocation of existing panels can be accurate, shade free, and
          Too bad GE still shows a photo from Sept 2013. I would like to see the total array as it stands today.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
            Too bad GE still shows a photo from Sept 2013. I would like to see the total array as it stands today.
            Guess you mean, satellite view? Bruce
            Attached Files

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Guess you mean, satellite view? Bruce
              Impressive picture of your system but yes I meant a satellite view.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

....... a new fence is going up. Small
                Deer will not even notice a 6' fence. Week old fawns can make a standing hop over a 3' fence, an adult at trot can easily clear 8'

We use 6' fencing, with 2 tension wires above it at 7' & 8' with flags on both wires so the deer can see the wires.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Deer will not even notice a 6' fence. Week old fawns can make a
                  standing hop over a 3' fence, an adult at trot can easily clear 8'

We use 6' fencing, with 2 tension wires above it at 7' & 8' with flags on both wires so the deer can see the wires.
                  Yes I know that those really wild area deer do such numbers. But experimentation here with
                  these zoned AG deer indicates they generally will not attempt a 7', let alone an 8' fence. And
                  the doe isn't going to go where the fawns can't follow. I'm thinking the first electric will be just
                  barely above the 6' mesh, so anything trying to crawl over won't get under it. 3 more runs
                  extending up to 8'. Not sure it really matter if the top are electric since the deer would be off
                  the ground anyway. Not so a climber though.

I'm not so concerned if the deer see the wire or not. If they end up breaking it, I'll probably
                  try barbed wire instead.

There are 10' T posts sticking up 8'. If those aren't enough, I have been known to clamp on a
                  piece of rebar to add a couple more feet. Bruce

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

New operational issue. The Fronius inverters have performed well for a couple years, running at
                    clipping level much of every sunny day. The lower doors have a manually operated readout, and
                    access a DC cutoff switch and some other stuff while running.

The other day I opened a door, and the inverter went into reset and power up cycle. It
                    happened again, I don't need this. Lets see, the case is made of extruded aluminum, and
                    the door is the same. A clever mechanical design allows the 2 to slide together without a
                    separate hinge assembly. Well that is fine, except that aluminum likes to form a non
                    conducting oxide coating. I theorize the door and case are no longer electrically connected,
                    and static charge/discharge between them is disturbing the electronic controls.

Cure, I drilled & tapped some holes. Short wire jumpers were added at the top and bottom
                    of the door hinge area, to keep the door securely connected to the case. Problem cured. I
                    hope this doesn't mean radiation of radio interference will also be on the increase; it was in
                    good shape initially. Otherwise, I will be adding more jumpers. Bruce Roe
                    Bruce, I have the exact same issue with the older of my two Fronius inverters. The older model has the hinged door but the newer model is bolted closed and they moved the DC cutoff switch is mounted on the bottom externally, thus no need to oped up the swinging door.

Well I called Fronius and they will, under warranty of course, replace the door and include a plug in module. Maybe I'll try your fix first.

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
                      Bruce, I have the exact same issue with the older of my two Fronius inverters. The older model has the hinged door but the newer model is bolted closed and they moved the DC cutoff switch is mounted on the bottom externally, thus no need to oped up the swinging door.

Well I called Fronius and they will, under warranty of course, replace the door and include
                      a plug in module. Maybe I'll try your fix first.
                      Do put those holes close to the hinge so the jumper is short. And make sure nothing inside
                      is at risk. Some risk of voiding the warrantee I suppose, don't worry about such things here.
                      I tapped for 6-32 so it could be serviced from the outside, but nuts & bolts work with some
                      of those star contacts to help cut through, and clean the spots on the aluminum.

If I am right, replacing parts is only a temporary fix. Someone else suggested it could be
                      a loose door cable, but I didn't touch that and its cured. Let us know. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2011

Do put those holes close to the hinge so the jumper is short. And make sure nothing inside
                        is at risk. Some risk of voiding the warrantee I suppose, don't worry about such things here.
                        I tapped for 6-32 so it could be serviced from the outside, but nuts & bolts work with some
                        of those star contacts to help cut through, and clean the spots on the aluminum.

If I am right, replacing parts is only a temporary fix. Someone else suggested it could be
                        a loose door cable, but I didn't touch that and its cured. Let us know. Bruce Roe
                        Well I looked very closely at the connection on the display. The insulation on the cable where the connection is made to the display is dis colored which makes me believe it is a loose connection. Heat or arcing maybe going on. I have reconnected and reseated the connection but still have the same problem.

My diagnosis is that the connectors do not make a proper connection do to a manufacturing defect. I am going to replace door, display, connector and plug in panel.....all under warranty.

I do not believe your jumper wire will fix the problem I see. Inspect your connection very closely and see if there is indications of heat.

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
                          Well I looked very closely at the connection on the display. The insulation on the cable where the connection is made to the display is dis colored which makes me believe it is a loose connection. Heat or arcing maybe going on. I have reconnected and reseated the connection but still have the same problem.

My diagnosis is that the connectors do not make a proper connection do to a manufacturing defect. I am going to replace door, display, connector and plug in panel.....all under warranty.
                          I do not believe your jumper wire will fix the problem I see. Inspect your connection very closely and see if there is indications of heat.
                          Probably my problem isn't your problem. I looked at the display cable on my 7.5, but nothing was loose
                          or burned. But wires should not be discolored from heat. Lets see what develops with your repair.
                          Bruce Roe

Comment

• Leon_chow
                            • Sep 2015

I was just thinking about the definition of SUN HOURS. Like, with my sun rise to sunset being
                            10:50 hours now, the total energy hitting a given panel might be equivalent to 5 hours of perfect
                            sun noon. So then its 5 SUN HOURS that day, location, and alignment.

Working this backwards, harvesting 110 KWH divided by 15 KW inverter maximum (clipping)
                            level, gives 7.33 equivalent SUN HOURS. The idea of course is to stretch the sun day by adding
                            panels directly facing the rising & setting sun. Comparing this to the basic sun hours could be
                            a multiplying factor for the panel arrangement. Probably the factor doesn't have a name? I'm
                            still looking for a tool to use, to predict this factor. Bruce Roe
                            Why don't u try type the longitude and latitude on NASA website, u can see the data for past years.
                            * sunsolarled *

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

Winter inclination

Its getting late, but I may yet manage to get my south facing panels vertical for this snow season. The
                              24 braces to hold them are done; the issue is how to raise & lower each platform having two braces.

I ordered a couple linear actuators with a 52 inch stroke (about enough) and a 5000 lb capacity (overkill).
                              They run on 24 VDC, should be able to fine control them with adjustable voltage.

But they haven't arrived yet, so the mechanical design is still in doubt. Worst case the whole thing will
                              fall on me. IREA tour this Sat. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Its getting late, but I may yet manage to get my south facing panels vertical for this snow season. The
                                24 braces to hold them are done; the issue is how to raise & lower each platform having two braces.

I ordered a couple linear actuators with a 52 inch stroke (about enough) and a 5000 lb capacity (overkill).
                                They run on 24 VDC, should be able to fine control them with adjustable voltage.

But they haven't arrived yet, so the mechanical design is still in doubt. Worst case the whole thing will
                                fall on me. IREA tour this Sat. Bruce Roe
                                I just saw a flyer yesterday about a new type of panel tracker made by HAS. I don't know the cost but it looked pretty impressive.

Solar Panel Tracker_HAS-Flyer_091115.pdf

Comment

Working...