X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UCF
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Those are great prices for both fuse holder and fuse. I spent about $10 each for my single pole Bussmann fuse holders and close to $8 each for my 10 amp fuses. Although mine were Class CC made by Littlefuse.

I should have gone to "PV Cables" for my purchase instead of Amazon. Thanks for the tip.
    Np. here is another one , check out zoro tools and their solar stuff and use a readily available 25% off coupon, all with free shipping . Last year they had 40% off coupon around black Friday .

Comment

• t5800512
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2013

What, you really don't need special PV cables. You can purchase your wiring at Home Depot and do just fine. At least that is what I did for my A/C wire (remember microinverters). Just follow the wiring charts for amperage, length and gage. I used 10 gage wire I purchased on spools matching the Enphase trunk cable colors. It was something like $7 per 50 foot spool; not expensive at all. If you are using micro's, you can also get by with PVC electrical conduit. D/C wiring required metal conduit, grounding brushes, etc. Another good reason to go with microinverters.

Comment

• UCF
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by t5800512
        What, you really don't need special PV cables. You can purchase your wiring at Home Depot and do just fine. At least that is what I did for my A/C wire (remember micro inverters). Just follow the wiring charts for amperage, length and gage. I used 10 gage wire I purchased on spools matching the Enphase trunk cable colors. It was something like $7 per 50 foot spool; not expensive at all. If you are using micro's, you can also get by with PVC electrical conduit. D/C wiring required metal conduit, grounding brushes, etc. Another good reason to go with microinverters.
        Also another thing to consider when choosing type of inverter is to research the inverter manufacturer, how long they have been in business, have they already turned any profit, this may give you some idea if they will be in the business years from today.
        Warranty issues aside, when equipment manufacturer goes bankrupt what happens when the product is no longer made and there is nothing compatible to replace it with ? I guess you can always run out to Home Depot for some more wire to run another branch circuit with a different inverter

Comment

• Expat
          • Sep 2013

UCF - If you were going to use microinverters, do you have a preference for what cost effective panel you would go with (since the 72 cell Canadian Solars wont work) ?

The LG Mono X still a good choice?

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Expat
            UCF - If you were going to use microinverters, do you have a preference for what cost effective panel you would go with (since the 72 cell Canadian Solars wont work) ?

The LG Mono X still a good choice?
            Power 1 makes a micro comparable with a 300w 72 cell panel I believe.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• thastinger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2012

Man, I had not opened this thread but just read all 9 pages. I'm glad to see people helping in all the different ways, some welcomed and some not. I think it is important to understand that help comes in many different forms, if it keeps you from getting hurt or burning down your house then that is certainly help, if it saves you money and gives you guideance to accomplish your goal that is also help.

I recently finished my off-grid self install. It is all permitted and inspected but it took me a long time to study all of the applicable codes and do my own research on it, I've got a project binder with about 500 pages of materials in it and I got alot of "help" from people here and in the end the system works great. I did subcontract the racking installation because falling off a 37.5 pitch roof just wasn't worth the risk to me. Subcontracting and dealing in cash can be your friend. There are skilled trades people out there who are looking for work, especially roofers.
              1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by thastinger
                I did subcontract the racking installation because falling off a 37.5 pitch roof just wasn't worth the risk to me. .
                It's not the fall that hurts. It is the sudden stop at the end.

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

Man, I had not opened this thread but just read all 9 pages. I'm glad to see people helping in all the different ways, some welcomed and some not. I think it is important to understand that help comes in many different forms, if it keeps you from getting hurt or burning down your house then that is certainly help, if it saves you money and gives you guideance to accomplish your goal that is also help.

I recently finished my off-grid self install. It is all permitted and inspected but it took me a long time to study all of the applicable codes and do my own research on it, I've got a project binder with about 500 pages of materials in it and I got alot of "help" from people here and in the end the system works great. I did subcontract the racking installation because falling off a 37.5 pitch roof just wasn't worth the risk to me. Subcontracting and dealing in cash can be your friend. There are skilled trades people out there who are looking for work, especially roofers.

That's a great advise. I did plan on buying all the parts and have skill subcontractor doing the installation. Yes, I will save few thousand dollars, but there is no one looking after your system for the next 10 years. When you factoring in the Fed incentive, the difference between self vs solar company became less and less. So, I took the route by finding the best price/installer.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

It's not the fall that hurts. It is the sudden stop at the end.
                    A year back I discovered that with my bicycle. The flying was quite easy but the sudden stop and the two point landing (nose & chin) really smarted!
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• thastinger
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by silversaver
                      That's a great advise. I did plan on buying all the parts and have skill subcontractor doing the installation. Yes, I will save few thousand dollars, but there is no one looking after your system for the next 10 years. When you factoring in the Fed incentive, the difference between self vs solar company became less and less. So, I took the route by finding the best price/installer.
                      Are you saying that you can't take the 30% FED credit for a self install?
                      Given the track history of business in PV, I wouldn't hold my breath for any company to be around 10 years from now. If they are, they will likely have been restructured and renamed and not honor any of the warranties from the original company.
                      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• Naptown
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2011

Could be true about the 10 years
                        If you self install you cannot claim any of your own labor.
                        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                          Could be true about the 10 years
                          If you self install you cannot claim any of your own labor.
                          What if you make your children do the work? You can claim them.

Oh wait that would be child abuse.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

What if you make your children do the work? You can claim them.

Oh wait that would be child abuse.
                            Not if they do not have SS numbers. Call it contract labor.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• silversaver
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

Are you saying that you can't take the 30% FED credit for a self install?
                              Given the track history of business in PV, I wouldn't hold my breath for any company to be around 10 years from now. If they are, they will likely have been restructured and renamed and not honor any of the warranties from the original company.
                              You can claim your 30% Fed incentive on over all cost, but not your own labor (you can claim 3rd party license installer) (Be sure you save all the receipts)

That is why you need to do your own search finding a reputable installers who is plan on stay in business.

It is simple the way I look at it. A good installer will only use quality panels and have their own workers doing the installation. If I find an installer will pretty much install any panels you like, I will avoid them. Why? The cost of staying in business!!

The installer is offering you a good 10 years warranty on the solar system + roofing. Do you think they want to use a bad quality panel? On the other hand, if they just want to make quick money, they will install anything for you. It cost them money to visit you everytime. Agree? You will find few installers avoiding using micro inverter, because they knew those micro inverters will cost them money in the long run and I'm kind agree with them. Ground level service is much cheaper than on the roof. 1 or 2 inverters at ground level is cheaper than multiple inverters on the roof if service needed. The solar panel don't fail, but inverters do!!

Comment

• inetdog
                                Super Moderator
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by silversaver
                                You can claim your 30% Fed incentive on over all cost, but not your own labor (you can claim 3rd party license installer) (Be sure you save all the receipts)
                                Some State credits or other incentives, on the other hand, do require a professional installer to do the paperwork.
                                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...