X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AirWindSolar
    That's what it sounds like to me. I don't think we've ever had the occasion to deal with CoServ, but most of our customers are buying about 50-75% of their lowest month's usage anyway, so overproduction isn't an issue.
    That is what I have been trying to tell him and others around TX. They do not want to hear it. Letem learn the hard way with their lost cash. No better teacher than loosing money.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• iandowny
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      In other words you give the excess power away to the electric company which is all profit for them and you will get a bill no matter what each and every month. they make money from your money and equipment and does not cost them a dime investment. It is all on you.
      That was what I could understand from the document. Although, that is not the impression the installers gave me when discussing about it. But, so far as net metering goes, does it mean that I get to use up all the electricity I generate over a billing period?

If so, I should come out ahead if I size my equipment where I will consistently generate less than what I consume in any one billing period. Right?

Comment

• iandowny
        • Apr 2013

Looks like you just answered my questions in the previous post.

Size it to generate less than 70 percent of your least month's usage.

Comment

• Ian S
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by iandowny
          Looks like you just answered my questions in the previous post.

Size it to generate less than 70 percent of your least month's usage.
          Wouldn't it be better to compare your monthly production (using PVWatts calculator) with your monthly usage and adjust nameplate power in the calculator to get to the point where there is only one month in the year that production rises to a level that fully offsets usage. You would probably want to use a higher derate factor than the default for the PVWatts calculator.

Comment

• iandowny
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Ian S
            Wouldn't it be better to compare your monthly production (using PVWatts calculator) with your monthly usage and adjust nameplate power in the calculator to get to the point where there is only one month in the year that production rises to a level that fully offsets usage. You would probably want to use a higher derate factor than the default for the PVWatts calculator.
            So, what you mean is to go here:

and then, put a DC rating of 4.0 (for Eg and put the 'DC-to-AC Derate Factor' as somewhere like 0.8 and then see if the maximum 'AC' energy generated PER month is closest to my monthly usage? And then adjust the DC rating accordingly?

Comment

• Ian S
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by iandowny
              So, what you mean is to go here:

and then, put a DC rating of 4.0 (for Eg and put the 'DC-to-AC Derate Factor' as somewhere like 0.8 and then see if the maximum 'AC' energy generated PER month is closest to my monthly usage? And then adjust the DC rating accordingly?
              Because PVWatts gives you production each month, start with a low DC power so that for every month, your usage is higher than estimated production - and gradually increase DC power until you get to the first point where one of the months of the year, the production matches the usage. My point I guess is your minimum usage wouldn't necessarily correlate with the appropriate point on your production curve. I would also say that you might consider increasing the power even to the point of a little overproduction in one month if that meant you could utilize that extra power/production for the other 11 months.Hope that makes sense.

Comment

• iandowny
                • Apr 2013

Ok, back after fixing on the solar provider. Here is the final proposal.

The size is around 30 percent of my total usage (I have a Nissan Leaf now), so, no over production.

System Size (kW DC) 2.94kW
                System Sell Price 11,671.80
                Estimated CoServ 2014 Solar Rebate 5,000.00
                30% Federal Investment Tax Credit 3,501.54
                TOTAL System Investment: (After estimated ITC and Utility Rebate) 3,170.26
                Total Due Axium Solar 11,671.80

Of course, this whole proposal is contingent upon CoServ giving 5K rebate. Assuming there are no surprises, this is coming to about: $1.07/watt DC.

SCOPE OF WORK: 2.94 kW Solar PV System:
                1. Grid – tied photovoltaic system
                2. Twelve (12) Talesun TP-660M 245 watt polycrystalline solar modules
                3. Twelve (12) Enphase M215 micro-inverters
                4. Snap n Rack solar mount racking system
                a. Flashed L-feet, for water tight installation
                b. Mid clamps, end clamps, splice kit, rail covers, rail ends
                5. Installation of electrical wiring and conduit according to the National Electric Code
                6. Engineering, permits, installation, and inspections
                7. Operation and Maintenance manual
                8. Soladeck flashed junction box for roof penetration
                9. Five-year warranty on Axium Solar's installation labor
                10. Twelve-year manufacturer's warranty on SolarEdge inverter
                11. Twenty five-year warranty on Enphase micro-inverters
                12. Twenty five-year production warranty on the solar modules, up to 20% degradation
                13. Use taxes INCLUDED

Too much?

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

Why solar edge and Enphase?
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• iandowny
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
                    Why solar edge and Enphase?
                    The Original proposal changed from being SolarEdge to EnPhase. No SolarEdge anymore. Due to group procurement the installer is doing, I guess.

Comment

Working...