X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iandowny
    • Apr 2013

Solar Panel Quote - Texas.

Solar Decision.pdf

Attached above. I am trying to do some research on which is more cost effective quote for me. Can you please look at the proposals that I attached in the PDF and tell me if these proposals pass mustard?

Also, here is my consumption history (kWh).
    2012 Jan 345
    2012 Feb 524
    2012 Mar 482
    2012 Apr 527
    2012 May 778
    2012 Jun 1346
    2012 Jul 1944
    2012 Aug 1696
    2012 Sep 1322
    2012 Oct 655
    2012 Nov 723
    2012 Dec 661
    2013 Jan 689
    2013 Feb 632
    2013 Mar 631
    2013 Apr 849
    2013 May 1304
    2013 Jun 1753

Attached PDF.

PS: My Energy provider (CoServ) might give me a 5K discount for the year 2014 (that's why provider A is discounting that in the final price already).

Thank you for your help.
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Given the equipment specified and the costs they are all too high at over 4.00 a watt
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• iandowny
      • Apr 2013

Also, btw, I am comparing A1 and B3 proposal more closely, since that is the system size I probably will go to.

Comment

• iandowny
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
        Given the equipment specified and the costs they are all too high at over 4.00 a watt
        I must be calculating it wrong.

When I did 'Total Contract Price'/'System Output', I am only getting anywhere from 3.09 - 4.7 (Before rebates (Federal and Energy Provider))

And when I discount those, it comes anywhere from 1.5 to 2.3 per watt? Am I not understanding this right?

Comment

• Naptown
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2011

You didn't include nameplate ratings on the b systems and the production was way off for b3
          That puts b3 in the winner slot.

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

Comment

• iandowny
            • Apr 2013

You didn't include nameplate ratings on the b systems and the production was way off for b3

This is where I am stuck. B gave me datasheet specs for the PV. I don't know if this would suffice.

Conergy PH 230P-255P

Rated power (Pmax) 255W
            Power tolerance +3%
            Module efficiency 15.5%
            Maximum power voltage (Vmpp) 30.68V
            Maximum power current (Impp) 8.33A
            Open circuit voltage (Voc) 38.40V
            Short circuit current (Isc) 8.69A
            Nominal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT)43±2°C
            Temperature coefficient (Pmax) –0.47%/ºC
            Temperature coefficient (Voc) –0.34 %/ºC
            Temperature coefficient (Isc) 0.05 %/ºC
            Maximum system voltage 600v (UL) /1000v (IEC)
            Maximum Series Fuse Rating 15A

At Standard Test Conditions (STC): 1000W/m², 25°C, air mass 1.5

Also, B is offering me installation of Power Optimizer Add-on within that price.

Comment

• Ian S
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

I don't see what you're paying for electricity. You need that info to figure out whether the deal makes sense financially. Simplest approach is to calculate how long it will take to recoup your costs by way of savings on your electric bill. If less than 10 years, it's a good deal. 10-15 it gets dicey. 15-25, you really have to want to go solar. Beyond 25, it makes no sense whatsoever IMHO.

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by iandowny
                This is where I am stuck. B gave me datasheet specs for the PV. I don't know if this would suffice.

Conergy PH 230P-255P

Rated power (Pmax) 255W
                Power tolerance +3%
                Module efficiency 15.5%
                Maximum power voltage (Vmpp) 30.68V
                Maximum power current (Impp) 8.33A
                Open circuit voltage (Voc) 38.40V
                Short circuit current (Isc) 8.69A
                Nominal Operating Cell Temperature (NOCT)43±2°C
                Temperature coefficient (Pmax) –0.47%/ºC
                Temperature coefficient (Voc) –0.34 %/ºC
                Temperature coefficient (Isc) 0.05 %/ºC
                Maximum system voltage 600v (UL) /1000v (IEC)
                Maximum Series Fuse Rating 15A

At Standard Test Conditions (STC): 1000W/m², 25°C, air mass 1.5

Also, B is offering me installation of Power Optimizer Add-on within that price.
                255 watt panels x 31 panels = ?
                The only way to do 31 panels is with the optimizers or a power1 inverter.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

You pay less than 10 cents per Kwh, no Net Metering, and no local incentives. Invest the money for 10 years and retire off it.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• iandowny
                    • Apr 2013

255 watt panels x 31 panels = ?
                    The only way to do 31 panels is with the optimizers or a power1 inverter.
                    Yes, the provider B has the power optimizer in the mix. I didn't understand your question mark. If you are suggesting that regular inverter won't cut it for that size, I wouldn't know at all. The inverter suggested for the 31 panels is SolarEdge SE6000A-US (not sure if that would be enough with the power optimizer.

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Yes, the provider B has the power optimizer in the mix. I didn't understand your question mark. If you are suggesting that regular inverter won't cut it for that size, I wouldn't know at all. The inverter suggested for the 31 panels is SolarEdge SE6000A-US (not sure if that would be enough with the power optimizer.
                      If you put 31 panels in series, you will have too high a voltage for most inverters. (i.e. 31 x 30v =930v, while the maximum input voltage for the inverter is 500v.)
                      And you cannot divide 31 up into smaller equal-length strings.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• iandowny
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                        You pay less than 10 cents per Kwh, no Net Metering, and no local incentives. Invest the money for 10 years and retire off it.
                        This thread that I started before leads me to believe that I have net metering

You want to talk about solar leasing vs. buying a solar energy system or how to finance your system. Talk about rebates, credits, PACE, FIT, SRECs, property tax credits. Post your question here, but remember that incentives are constantly changing!

And I will not jump in if POCO is not discounting the system by 5K like they said they did this year.

Comment

• AirWindSolar
                          • Sep 2012

This thread that I started before leads me to believe that I have net metering

"2) For QF ≤ 50 kW where the Member desires to export power:
                          a) For power produced in excess of on-site requirements, the Member will be compensated by netting the Member’s kWh generation against the Member’s kWh consumption, referred to as “net metering.” The Cooperative shall bill the Member for the excess energy supplied by the Cooperative over and above the energy supplied by the Member during each billing period according to the Cooperative’s applicable retail rate schedule.
                          b) When the energy supplied by the Member exceeds the energy supplied by the Cooperative during a billing period, the monthly charge and/or minimum bill of the retail rate schedule shall be billed by the Cooperative in addition to the monthly metering charge, and the excess energy shall be provided at no charge to the Cooperative.
                          c) The Member shall sign an interconnection agreement in form and substance acceptable to the Cooperative.
                          d) In addition to all other charges, the Cooperative may bill the Member for any additional facilities charges as determined by the Cooperative and appended to the interconnection agreement.
                          e) The Cooperative may, at its sole discretion, purchase power from an NQF as described in this section."

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AirWindSolar
                            http://www.coserv.com/Portals/0/PDFs...ion_Manual.pdf

"2) For QF ≤ 50 kW where the Member desires to export power:
                            a) For power produced in excess of on-site requirements, the Member will be compensated by netting the Member’s kWh generation against the Member’s kWh consumption, referred to as “net metering.” The Cooperative shall bill the Member for the excess energy supplied by the Cooperative over and above the energy supplied by the Member during each billing period according to the Cooperative’s applicable retail rate schedule.
                            b) When the energy supplied by the Member exceeds the energy supplied by the Cooperative during a billing period, the monthly charge and/or minimum bill of the retail rate schedule shall be billed by the Cooperative in addition to the monthly metering charge, and the excess energy shall be provided at no charge to the Cooperative.
                            c) The Member shall sign an interconnection agreement in form and substance acceptable to the Cooperative.
                            d) In addition to all other charges, the Cooperative may bill the Member for any additional facilities charges as determined by the Cooperative and appended to the interconnection agreement.
                            e) The Cooperative may, at its sole discretion, purchase power from an NQF as described in this section."
                            In other words you give the excess power away to the electric company which is all profit for them and you will get a bill no matter what each and every month. they make money from you rmoney and equipment and does not cost them a dime investment. It is all on you.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• AirWindSolar
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                              In other words you give the excess power away to the electric company which is all profit for them and you will get a bill no matter what each and every month. they make money from you rmoney and equipment and does not cost them a dime investment. It is all on you.
                              That's what it sounds like to me. I don't think we've ever had the occasion to deal with CoServ, but most of our customers are buying about 50-75% of their lowest month's usage anyway, so overproduction isn't an issue.

Comment

Working...