Outback Radian questions and suggestions for new grid tie hybrid system.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by df0rster

That makes sense. I am not yet too familiar with all the features of the hybrid inverters. I just wanted it for its battery backup capability and zero export and other features and options, and the salesman recommended it to me. I thought he also told me that it didn't have an automatic transfer capability for backup, but maybe I misunderstood..

A subpanel won't be a big deal for me. I could probably move everything except my water heater and AC unit to the subpanel for backup.

Does the skybox provide all of its 5000w in backup mode also?

The skybox seems very reasonable for all it does..
    The Radian actually had two backup modes, one that took a second to cutover to backup mode and another that was instantaneous but took more overhead because like a UPS it was constantly syncing with the grid. The Radian would require a separate charge controller if you wanted solar. The Radian has a transformer so it can handle larger surges like well pumps or Air Conditioners. I do not remember much about its grid zero mode.

Yes, the Skybox inverter can handle 5000 Watts but I don't think it could power your electric instantaneous water heater.
    Propane would be a much more efficient source of instantaneous hot water. I actually use a Rheem heat pump water heater and while it takes a 30 Amp breaker, I only run it in heat pump mode and it draws about 15 Amps.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• df0rster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2018

Yeah I won’t use the ac or water heater during outages. I don’t plan to have many batteries. Just enough for a couple hours of essentials (coffee and tv!!). And fridge or course.

I could easily reroute my propane tankless for showers if needed. It only draws a few watts to run the exhaust fan.

my next problem will be a good way to get my pv wires into my mechanical room where I want the inverter. I’m thinking of running them up the side of house behind the gutter and over the roof into the ridge vent space. That way I don’t have to cut any new holes.

can I put my fla batteries in the mechanical room? It’s not ventilated so that may be an issue.

thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

FLA batteries need venting, they can create stinky fumes in the later stages of charging, and acid mist can sometimes escape the vent caps and corrode metals and electronics.
        AGM batteries are much the same. When new, and charged properly, no problems, but in age, as they fail, they can vent flammable fumes just like their FLA cousins.

And no sources of ignition (brushed motors, relays, alternators, pilot lights.....) should be in the room
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...