I'm absolutely amazed at how well Sunny Island inverters work.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LeeLewis
    I'm trying to find a device similar to what you're talking about that would 'simulate' the grid so the solar system would keep running without connection to the grid.
    I think we really need this in a FAQ because it's a question that gets asked very often and the answer is usually "no."

You could replace your string inverter with a Sunny Boy with the Secure Power feature. That would give you ~2000 watts of power when the grid is out AND the sun is out. Add a cheapo UPS to that and you'd get a little power at nighttime as well.

You could replace your string inverter with a real hybrid inverter with a battery (doesn't have to be big) and wire "its own breaker box" to the output. Then that breaker box would be backed up. For example, the Sol-Ark series will likely tie directly into your existing solar strings and do exactly what you want.

But if your goal is to take an everyday cheapo grid tie inverter and "trick" it into running when the grid goes away - there's no good way to do that cheaply.

Comment

• Maitake
      • Mar 2022

Salt,
      Does your system have a communication cable between Sunny Island and Sunny Boy?
      I'm putting in a similar system, and have heard a rumor they eliminated the cable, and that Rule 21 setting must be used in order to avoid smoking the inverters.

thx

Comment

• LeeLewis
        • Feb 2018

Sorry for seemingly never coming back. I don't get emails about updates to the conversations.

What I'd like to do at this point is to test each of my inverters, sell them used and use those funds to help pay for the new setup I would go for.
        I really don't care about getting grid returns, it's not adding up to much. I would be better off using the power, charging battery banks etc.

The problem is always the same. I cannot find any information on how to test those inverters.
        This is what I think needs to happen.
        1. Connect 240VAC to the inverter.
        2. Measure the current.
        3. Introduce a DC input from a panel to the inverter.
        4. Unless the inverter is software output disabled, I should see an increase in current.

Comment

Working...