Hybrid Installers in WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenLantern View Post
    I’m looking for a hybrid system installer. I’d like my system to essentially be capable of using 100% solar/battery power. Not ready to be actually off the grid, but I’d want my system to be capable of it.

Who is the best hybrid installer out there that will do a job in WI?

You can assume my budget can handle it and the goal is not to save money or have it eventually pay for itself. I just don’t want to be reliant on the power company anymore.

Hi GreenLatern,

Cool name by the way. While I can't help you find a local installer in WI, I can help you with battery options.

Lowest Cost
    I would go with the Enphase Ensemble. When the microinverters detect a grid outage, it automatically switched over to a critical load panel. The downside that id has zero energy storage capacity. Meaning, the only time the critical loads will be powered is during the daytime.

Medium Cost
    For a medium cost solution (and my personal favorite system) I recommend the Generac PWRcell. It is built by a reliable company that can integrate with other Generac products. My favorite part is you the battery banks are module therefore you can add more later better-controlling costs.

Top Shelf
    Tesla Batteries. I think we all are aware of these babies. While I have nothing bad to say, my biggest warning I give to these batteries is about future servicing. Just like any latest tech, you're going to have a hard time finding someone to service it (say your installer goes out of business, which is possible).

I hope this helps.

Best,
    Adam
    Adam | I have worked in solar since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
      I have heard Generac is working on an integrated solution. They did recently purchase Pika, a battery manufacturer, and Nuerio a company that has expertise in measuring and controlling battery systems. The Neurio controller is the data gathering device inside the Tesla Powerwall and I have used one in a standalone application to turn on devices when my solar is producing, What little I have seen about the battery, it seems overpriced but the real value could be if they get the integration correct. Maybe the profit opportunity and and marketing opportunity would be enough for Generac to give an installer and you sufficient support in this emerginng market opportunity. That may give you some comfort. I think in many parts of the country a battery backup that can leverage solar and have a generator available for when the sun doesn't shine would be an attractive option. Strategically Generac seems to have identified that opportunity.
      Hey Ampster.

The battery is out. Here it is on the Generac website.

And here is a review by a local solar installer: Generac PWRCell Battery Review for 2020.

Adam | I have worked in solar since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by muON View Post
        Lowest Cost
        I would go with the Enphase Ensemble. .......

Medium Cost
        .......Generac PWRcell.......

Top Shelf
        Tesla Batteries. .......
        Are you ranking cost per unit or cost per kWhr of battery capacity? Yes, the Enphase solution has the least cost because it is the smallest. The Generac solution is a result of their purchase of Pika which had a reputation as being expensive. I have heard that they are working on their cost structure to be more competitive.. They may have several sizes and one of those may be less expensive than a Tesla Powerwall but not on a per kWhr of storage capacity.
        Last edited by Ampster; 04-24-2020, 05:37 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Sometimes the problem with a larger tank is that the locality wants it buried in the ground. That is one of the drawbacks for me to get a 250 gallon tank as well as the expense of burying it.
          If the tank is an ASME designed and stamped pressure vessel, as required of all propane tanks in the U.S. and most of the developed world, rather than a non pressurized holding tank, in most states and jurisdictions, it cannot be (legally) buried without a lot of extraordinary measures for both design and construction requirements dealing with, for starters, external design pressures, uplift from buoyancy forces, other external loads, and how to design for regular and required inspections. All that can be done, just find a P.E. pay the admission price and get an existing design stamped and recoded, or start fresh. Depending on jurisdiction, you probably can't simply bury a code tank and not jump through some serious hoops.

A bit technical: Sometimes you can get a design through code by using ASME Sec. VIII, Div. 2 design rules instead of Sec. VIII, Div.1, but the cost in time and treasure will remain high.

To my design experience, for large tankage, it's just as cheap and time consuming to start from scratch as it is to modify a tank originally designed for above ground 2 saddle mount. For small tanks, like < 1,000 gal. capacity, it'll cost to bury it.

Besides that, more than a few jurisdictions specifically disallow pressure vessels to be used in buried service, particularly if they contain compressible fluids. In such cases, either a sturdy wall is put around the vessel and made to look pretty, or the vessel is put in an open pit designed for that purpose and the pit surrounded by a fence.

Comment

Originally posted by muON View Post

Hey Ampster.

The battery is out. Here it is on the Generac website.

And here is a review by a local solar installer: Generac PWRCell Battery Review for 2020.

I talked to an agent from Generac earlier today, and was told that their solution is incompatible with an existing solar setup that isn't there own. They said they would put me onto a list to be contacted when they have a future solution that will be compatible with existing systems.

I'm rather shocked this is not in any of the reviews or system information I was able to find. Is this true, or was the Generac rep misinformed?

Comment

Working...
            X