Advice for installing storage system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RKCRLR View Post

I tried calling PG&E's SGIP telephone number at the beginning of the process and was never able to get through to a live person. I sent them an email and after a week tried calling PG&Es solar line to see if they could help. They said to expect 3 weeks for the PG&E SGIP representative to respond to an email. Sere enough, PG&E's SGIP representative responded after about 3 weeks but my original question was OBE. I don't want to go through this for this question, especially if it takes a few back and forths.
    Thank you. So, just to be clear in my own mind, the answer to my question is no ? That is, you called about a different matter early in the design process and got a tardy response so haven't asked about the current matter ? I'm not sure what "OBE" means. If it means "overcome by events", Are you saying the original question became irrelevant because the design or something else changed ?

If so, or in any case, I'd start the process for this question. Based on what you write, sounds (reads) like the sooner you ask, the sooner you'll get an informed response. Who knows, you might get lucky with an early response. Even if a late response and contrary to what you've done subsequently, at least you'll a.) not be surprised if the design fails to conform on inspection or, b.) if not inspected yet, be able to change the design.

For what is usually the small effort of a phone call/email, seems worth it to me to do so if for no other reason than covering my ass and being able to say, "I called and emailed you folks and never got a response - what was I supposed to do, stand around with tools in one hand and my best intentions in the other while I watch my bills increase and rebates decrease ? The clock is/was running, ya' know." Or something like that.

Comment

Yes, I meant overcome by events. The question I asked them was related to a different system than the Powerwalls that I decided to go with.

Just for grins I called and left them a another message (there is no option to speak to a live person). They never called me back the first time, I'll see if they call me back this time.
      Last edited by RKCRLR; 05-14-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

What did Tesla say about modifying the application?
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Yes, I meant overcome by events. The question I asked them was related to a different system than the Powerwalls that I decided to go with.

Just for grins I called and left them a another message (there is no option to speak to a live person). They never called me back the first time, I'll see if they call me back this time.
          Thank you for the response.

Situations vary, but why wait ? I've found nothing can replace persistence. If I'm serious about getting an answer rather than simply an excuse for not resolving an issue, or I'm looking for a reason to bitch - which always feels better, to me anyway, than doing the often thankless and PITA work often needed for answers to move a project forward - and if I don't get a response, I begin working my way up the chain of command, always getting a name along the way. Sometimes that means starting anew using the phone number or email address shown on the outfit's website.

While doing so I try to keep in mind that I'll attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Sometimes it's a balancing act.

Getting the answer from whoever/whatever is authoritatively mandating the situation causing the question is usually the best, and in the end, usually the only answer that counts. In a sense, everything else is anecdotal to the task of getting an answer that moves the project forward, and sometimes less than helpful to resolution - including all my opinions.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
            What did Tesla say about modifying the application?
            The Tesla guy that submits the SGIP applications agrees that he should be able to change the answer to Yes. I think he is working on the wordsmithing of the explanation.

Comment

The Tesla guy that submits the SGIP applications agrees that he should be able to change the answer to Yes. I think he is working on the wordsmithing of the explanation.
              As a followup, my application was resubmitted on 5/14 (Thursday). I've also noticed that the PG&E Equity Resiliency budget is down to less than $400K and they've changed the status from open to waitlist.

Comment

I have a question about replacing the inverter on my old 4kW string system. There are no optimizers on it.
                Am I allowed to replace the inverter without complying with the rapid shutdown requirements? They were not in place when my system was installed (2009). I was thinking about going with a Sunny Boy 3.8US.

Comment

As a followup, my application was resubmitted on 5/14 (Thursday). I've also noticed that the PG&E Equity Resiliency budget is down to less than $400K and they've changed the status from open to waitlist.
                  Good luck. Maybe your original application will give your priority on the waitlist if that is where you end up.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I got my PG&E SGIP reservation letter today! I've scheduled the Powerwall install for June 10. Hopefully the system design is adequate or Tesla covers the overrun.

Comment

Working...
                    X