sunny boy inverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudhole View Post
    the permission is based on our local emc, they have a guideline book for interconnecting, our local municipality has only codes for solar farms.
    I would guess that code draws from some version of the NEC.Do you know if they follow the most recent version that includes Rapid Shutdown?
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

these are the local emc requirements...just in case you are really bored
      In my jurisdiction there are two phases to interconnection. One, the building permit from the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Those rules generally follow the NEC and deal with issues behind the electrical meter, including rapid shutdown. Two, the interconnection with the utility which only concerns itself with the capacity of the system and whether the inverter complies with UL and any local requirements.

In some cases of a municipal utility they are the same entity and that may be the case in what you describe as an emc. In that case there may be another code section that follows the NEC run by a different department.

Comment

it calls for an air gap disconnect, nothing about a rapid disconnect, but i think i would install a rapid disconnect anyway

Comment

it calls for an air gap disconnect, nothing about a rapid disconnect, but i think i would install a rapid disconnect anyway
          The form of Rapid Shutdown Device required in the NEC is a system that ensures that there is no high voltage DC on the roof that could pose a danger to firefighters. Simply disconnecting the DC rapidly does not do that. Even disconnecting the DC slowly does not turn off the panels ability to shock a firefighter.

Comment

https://www.jacksonemc.com/sites/def..._-_9.12.19.pdf

these are the local emc requirements...just in case you are really bored
            I am not bored I just want to make sure you are getting all of your ducks in a row before an AHJ or POCO shuts you down. I am very much in support of a DIY installation as long as all parties understand what they need to provide for approval before energizing it.

So that said I presume you have or will send in the application to get approval from JEMC on the installation drawings or plan on going that route.

Comment

suneagle- yes i definitely plan on turning in the paperwork to our emc, that is why i am on this forum , trying to figure it all out...our emc will reimburse $450 per kw, but to get that you have to use an nabcep electrician, all those in my area are charging close to 3$ per watt(well the 2 i called), i am pretty sure i can do it for close to $1-1.50 per watt, so i will have to forgo their incentive...

ampster- ya, the emc requires an air gap disconnect that can be visibly seen and can be locked open.

Comment

ampster- ya, the emc requires an air gap disconnect that can be visibly seen and can be locked open.
                An airgap disconnect is not a Rapid Shutdown Device. I don't know if you will need a RSD. I am just saying it is not an explicit issue with your utility. What I am saying is it is implicit that your installation complies with NEC. Whether your jurisdiction has adoped the latest version of the NEC is the critical issue. The latest version is the one that requires RSD, Some jurisdictions have been slower to adopt the latest version of NEC. The checklist does refer to a Certificate of Completion. The important question is where do you get the Certificate of Completion. Does it come from JEMC or from the local building department? Is it the normal conclusion of obtaining an electrical permit from the City or County unrelated to JEMC?
                The only reason I am mentioning this is because it will influence your choices of inverters and other system parts.
                Last edited by Ampster; 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

thanks ampster, i tried today to see if the jurisdiction is jemc or local govt, govt is pretty much shut down, nobody to talk to , i will reach out to my jemc point of contact

Comment

thanks ampster, i tried today to see if the jurisdiction is jemc or local govt, govt is pretty much shut down, nobody to talk to , i will reach out to my jemc point of contact
                    The critical question is, who provides the Certificate of Completion.
                    FYI NEC 2017 is the version of that code that began the requirement of RSD. As I mentioned, not all jurisdictions have adoped that version when I checked a year ago.

Comment

suneagle- yes i definitely plan on turning in the paperwork to our emc, that is why i am on this forum , trying to figure it all out...our emc will reimburse $450 per kw, but to get that you have to use an nabcep electrician, all those in my area are charging close to 3$ per watt(well the 2 i called), i am pretty sure i can do it for close to $1-1.50 per watt, so i will have to forgo their incentive...

I understand your direction. I also have had a problem finding a low cost installation but I am a little old to be doing it myself.

I wish you luck and good will with your system. And as always stay safe.

Comment

the jemc lead said that our area uses the latest edition of the NEC codes for solar.

Comment

the jemc lead said that our area uses the latest edition of the NEC codes for solar.
                          Are they the one issuing the Certificate of Completion? I ask that because the document said something like, when the JEMC receives the Certificate of Completion. To me that implied that it was like my jurisdiction where the County Building Department issues the building permit and when completed the final inspection report is submitted to the utility.
                          I don't mean to pepper you with questions but in the future, others will read this thread and may act on the knowledge shared in this thread.
                          Last edited by Ampster; 03-28-2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

ampster, i really appreciate you going the extra mile!!!, i looked at the JEMC document and it does ask for it, the lead said they dont issue them but "Typically, I might receive certificate of compliance in regard to the equipment being used", from everything i have read about our county codes and inspection (offices are closed due to covid), they only deal with new home construction and additions over a certain size.

on monday i will as jemc how it is dealt with at my location since they deal with many municipalities

Comment

..........."Typically, I might receive certificate of compliance in regard to the equipment being used", from everything i have read about our county codes and inspection (offices are closed due to covid), they only deal with new home construction and additions over a certain size.
                              That would be good news. However, I would only trust the answer from the County building department or a knowledgeable professional who has installed systems in your County. My County jurisdiction requires an electrical permit if I add just one circuit. You can't add a solar system without adding a circuit. In addition they also check with the fire department who imposes setbacks on roofs which can give a substantial haircut to available space on a roof for panels. An important question is whether this will be a roof mount, because the RSD requirements don't apply to ground mount or in my case to the panels on my patio cover. They did apply to my other system on my roof.

My experience in construction, especially when dealing with multiple agencies, is that very few of them give you all the information you need for your project because they operate in silos. Sadly, even within a few cities I have seen a complete disconnect between public works and the building and planning departments, causing developers who don't know those requirements to be faced with unnecessary delays and cost over runs.

I think the value of forums like this is the knowledge sharing and problem solving that comes from multiple perspectives. You don't usually get that from entities that provide approval for a project.
                              Last edited by Ampster; 03-28-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

you are exactly right ampster, and this install is over a patio/porch area.

Comment

Working...
                                X