X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mudhole

..LOL I basically wanted it to keep a chest freezer frozen...I guess i could just sit next to it and cut it on and off as clouds pass, LOL...
    If you don't access the chest freezer much the intermittent power of passing clouds should not be a problem. After the clouds pass I do not know if that outlet on the inverter needs to be reset. I have a vague memory of something like that but it may have had to do with resetting the inverter when power comes back. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

The SPS (secure power system) must be manually (re)activated at the inverter either when the Grid fails, or shutdown from inadequate solar
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
        The SPS (secure power system) must be manually (re)activated at the inverter either when the Grid fails, or shutdown from inadequate solar
        That should be easy enough to do. It is also a simpler and safer solution than the yet to be documented scheme offered by Solardreamer. I have asked him several times for details and none have been provided. AC coupling is not a trivial exercise but it can be done with the right equipment.

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Ampster

I misinterpreted your statement when you said, "Not all GTI enforce UL GTI specs so it depends on the GTI."
          Have you actually AC coupled a GT inverter to to a non UL inverter off grid or are you speculating on the possibility? If so what make and model? What profile did you use?
          For UL GTI I have successfully used with several different non-UL off grid inverters. The split-phase low frequency inverters are more convenient and a bit robust to work with. As example, AIMS and SunGoldPower both sell inverters with similar specs to the 4KW low frequency inverter I used. I actually didn't end up having to change the GTI profile to get it to work as decent non-UL inverters provided surprisingly good quality power (power, frequency, power factor, thd, protection, etc.). It's really not difficult to find inverters that would work with UL GTI. The much more challenging part is managing and maintaining the interaction between them as I believe you are aware of. Again none of this is for uninformed readers.

Comment

• mudhole
            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Mike90250
            the literature on the sps is really lacking, basically what i did was wire per their diagram, i am not sure where you would manually switch it back on, unless you are talking external to the inverter, just the switch i wired per the diagram.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by solardreamer

For UL GTI I have successfully used with several different non-UL off grid inverters......
              I will take that as a NO. You have not demonstrated or proven that you have AC coupled a GT inverter with a non UL off grid inverter. I did not ask for a history of all the different inverters that you have "used with" other inverters. A simple example of any GT inverter AC coupled to a non UL inverter would suffice.
              A true AC coupled demonstration would include operations through several days with varying loads so the control of the GT inverter by the non UL inverter would demonstate that AC coupling actually happened and both inverters performed as a system. As I suspected, we probably have different definitions of what the term "AC coupled" actually means. The uninformed will not be further informed by the information provided. The informed will be unimpressed by the attempt to call any thing described above as AC coupled.

We are back to the beginning of this conversation where the term "fake", hijacked this thread. My apologies to the OP.
              Last edited by Ampster; 03-07-2021, 01:29 PM. Reason: Add conclusion

Comment

• solardreamer
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

Originally posted by Ampster
                I will take that as a NO. You have not demonstrated or proven that you have AC coupled a GT inverter with a non UL off grid inverter. I did not ask for a history of all the different inverters that you have "used with" other inverters. A simple example of any GT inverter AC coupled to a non UL inverter would suffice. A true AC coupled demonstration would include operations through several days with varying loads so the control of the GT inverter by the non UL inverter would demonstate that AC coupling actually happened and both inverters performed as a system. As I suspected, we probably have different definitions of what the term "AC coupled" actually means. We are back to the beginning of this conversation where the term "fake", hijacked this thread. My apologies to the OP.
                Once again you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Comment

• RottenMutt
                  • Jul 2020

i would only use the secure power socket to charge a battery and a AC inverter to power you refrigerator.
                  or to charge a car..

Comment

Working...