Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lola
    • Nov 2019

Help Troubleshooting Hybrid System

So I installed a grid-tied solar system with battery bank two years ago and it has been working perfectly. Now I'm having an issue. The AC output has zero interruptions during the night when it's working just on batteries, but during the day there's occasionally a 1-2 second loss of AC output (lights flash, appliances flicker or shut down) when a load is turned on ( or the fridge cycles on). This problem does not occur at all once the sun is down. I've never posted before, but have read a lot of useful post and info on this site, so thank you.
  • maple flats
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

If your system is a typical hybrid set up, you are not running just off batteries after dark, you still use the grid unless the grid goes down. I have a hybrid system (actually dual, one part is just grid tied, a second part is battery back up and grid tied. I get no loss of AC at any time.
    However I have no idea what is malfunctioning.
    6,32 KW solar, net metered, maple syrup producer.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lola
      So I installed a grid-tied solar system with battery bank two years ago and it has been working perfectly. Now I'm having an issue. The AC output has zero interruptions during the night when it's working just on batteries, but during the day there's occasionally a 1-2 second loss of AC output (lights flash, appliances flicker or shut down) when a load is turned on ( or the fridge cycles on). This problem does not occur at all once the sun is down. I've never posted before, but have read a lot of useful post and info on this site, so thank you.
      I am not sure exactly why you are experiencing those flickers but there could be a problem with your inverter software and the specific properties of the grid. Sometimes a slight voltage dip or frequency change can cause a grid tie inverter to balk and fail to work momentarily but I am just guessing without more data.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

What brand and model of inverter are you using?
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...