Hybrid car/home battery bi directional chargers only for sale in Europe or Japan?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwdiver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Thats nice to have 2X energy in spring and fall and common with off grid but you can only use it if you charge your vehicle during the day time AT HOME.
    Also in the winter time you have 1X or less power so where do you charge your EV??? also EVs use more power in winter to heat, defrost etc.
    not everyone can drive less in winter??
    off grid people are often not near public chargers as well.
    If you're off-grid and in the position that you describe.... would it not still make more sense to have an EV that you could use to soak up extra kWh in the spring and fall? Even if you occasionally need to run a generator to charge an EV you'd need to use gas or diesel 100% of the time if you don't have an EV. Or... just get a volt and have the best of both worlds

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

I thought the CA government was looking into using home batteries (wall mount or EV) to help regulate their Grid. That would allow them to use your energy storage to help reduce the duck curve.

Is that not on the books for CA?
      Yeah, I don't know how many have been installed under the Self Generation Incentive Program. They have gone through millions in funds and I think reduced compensation is still available. The incentives include Investment Tax Credit. Many Tesla Powerwalls were installed that way for a net cost of $4,000 during step one of the program. Globally I think at last count Tesla has sold 50,000 powerwalls and LG Chem, Sonnen, and Enphase have products for that market.
      EDIT:
      Here is a link with more data.The total is 2 gigaWatts. I had forgotten that a number of large systems were also incentivized by the program.
      Last edited by Ampster; 08-28-2019, 05:05 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by nwdiver

If you're off-grid and in the position that you describe.... would it not still make more sense to have an EV that you could use to soak up extra kWh in the spring and fall? Even if you occasionally need to run a generator to charge an EV you'd need to use gas or diesel 100% of the time if you don't have an EV. Or... just get a volt and have the best of both worlds
        Running a generator to charge and EV or charging and EV from battery is very inefficient and a lot of battery cycling.
        You would be spending more on fuel, batteries, and vehicle and most likely solar

A plug in hybrid is different from an EV
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• khanh dam
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

the mitsibushi is a PHEV the orginal link goes over that.

Comment

• nwdiver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Running a generator to charge and EV or charging and EV from battery is very inefficient and a lot of battery cycling.
            You would be spending more on fuel, batteries, and vehicle and most likely solar
            Less fuel overall since using diesel in a generator to charge an EV is actually more efficient than burning diesel directly in an ICE. ICE is pathetically inefficient, ICE in a car even more so since it's rarely operating at its ideal RPM like a generator. AND you obviously wouldn't always be charging off a generator...

Comment

Working...