Hybrid car/home battery bi directional chargers only for sale in Europe or Japan?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • khanh dam
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2019

Hybrid car/home battery bi directional chargers only for sale in Europe or Japan?

Nissan also makes an electric car/home battery system only for sale in Japan.
    If this was available in usa I would buy it!
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

That is a teaser headline. What do you think the likeliehood of that becoming available in the USA soon and at an affordable cost? Vehicle to Grid seems to be vaporware. It is a great concept but when you noodle through it, who would want to wear out their EV battery running their home? To me that is the question that needs to be answered.

Of course, if I were to be compensated with something like OhmConnect for providing grid support it might be worth considering.
    Last edited by Ampster; 08-28-2019, 11:43 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
      That is a teaser headline. What do you think the likeliehood of that becoming available in the USA soon and at an affordable cost? Vehicle to Grid seems to be vaporware. It is a great concept but when you noodle through it, who would want to wear out their EV battery running their home? To me that is the question that needs to be answered.

Of course, if I were to be compensated with something like OhmConnect for providing grid support it might be worth considering.
      I thought the CA government was looking into using home batteries (wall mount or EV) to help regulate their Grid. That would allow them to use your energy storage to help reduce the duck curve.

Is that not on the books for CA?

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

That is a teaser headline. What do you think the likeliehood of that becoming available in the USA soon and at an affordable cost? Vehicle to Grid seems to be vaporware. It is a great concept but when you noodle through it, who would want to wear out their EV battery running their home? To me that is the question that needs to be answered. Of course, if I were to be compensated with something like OhmConnect for providing grid support it might be worth considering.
        Think you answered your own question there. Also keep in mind that (for example) with OhmConnect you are likely to need less than about 1kwhr at a low rate to get to zero on your home. For a typical 60kwhr car battery that is a very small fraction of its capacity.

Comment

• khanh dam
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2019

who would want to wear out their EV battery running their home? .
          PEOPLE that live off grid is my guess.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by khanh dam
            off grid with an EV... now thats funny.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• nwdiver
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by ButchDeal

In some ways I think that actually makes MORE sense than off-grid w/o an EV. If you have an EV you have a way to use excess PV when it's overbuilt. Just drive more in the summer or use public chargers more in the winter.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by nwdiver

In some ways I think that actually makes MORE sense than off-grid w/o an EV. If you have an EV you have a way to use excess PV when it's overbuilt. Just drive more in the summer or use public chargers more in the winter.
                If you charge the car WHEN the sun is up (in other worse don't drive during the day time) and have a huge array to charge the EV, as well as a large generator to charge it other times.
                Seems kind of odd to charge and EV with an ICE...
                but go for it.

Comment

• nwdiver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2019

If you charge the car WHEN the sun is up (in other worse don't drive during the day time) and have a huge array to charge the EV, as well as a large generator to charge it other times.
                  Seems kind of odd to charge and EV with an ICE...
                  but go for it.
                  If you're off-grid you'll have ~2x more energy in the spring and fall than you can use and probably a bit more in the summer also. Having an EV would give you the ability to use some of that surplus. In the winter you can just drive less (I think most people do anyway) or use public chargers more when you're out....

I've been toying with an off-grid system at my house and I'm considering running some #10 to my car for that reason. Having enough solar on the off-grid system to cool the house in the summer means I curtail A LOT in the spring and fall... be nice to be able to use that extra energy instead of wasting it.
                  Last edited by nwdiver; 08-28-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by nwdiver

If you're off-grid you'll have ~2x more energy in the spring and fall than you can use and probably a bit more in the summer also. Having an EV would give you the ability to use some of that surplus. In the winter you can just drive less (I think most people do anyway) or use public chargers more when you're out....
                    Thats nice to have 2X energy in spring and fall and common with off grid but you can only use it if you charge your vehicle during the day time AT HOME.
                    Also in the winter time you have 1X or less power so where do you charge your EV??? also EVs use more power in winter to heat, defrost etc.
                    not everyone can drive less in winter??
                    off grid people are often not near public chargers as well.
                    but again. using an EV off grid where EV tends to use more power than the average off grid system means that the off grid system plus EV has to be 2 or 3 times larger and if you charge at night (drive away from home during the day time like many people) then you will need a huge battery to store the power and then charge the EV from battery.

There could be some odd situation where someone works nights so the car is home all day but I doubt that is typical for off grid, certainly not for most homeowners on grid.

Comment

• jflorey2
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2015

Makes sense to me. You can get a used Leaf for $4000. Realistically there will be about half of the pack's capacity left (call it 12kwhr.) That's a pretty good price for a battery. Plus you can drive it to your house. Plus if there's a battery fire or explosion, the battery is outside. Plus the end-of-life disposal is a junkyard, not a hazardous waste issue.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
                        Makes sense to me. You can get a used Leaf for $4000. Realistically there will be about half of the pack's capacity left (call it 12kwhr.) That's a pretty good price for a battery. Plus you can drive it to your house. Plus if there's a battery fire or explosion, the battery is outside. Plus the end-of-life disposal is a junkyard, not a hazardous waste issue.
                        Using an EV battery for an off grid system is different from maintaining an EV (that you still drive) with an off grid system.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
                          Think you answered your own question there. Also keep in mind that (for example) with OhmConnect you are likely to need less than about 1kwhr at a low rate to get to zero on your home. For a typical 60kwhr car battery that is a very small fraction of its capacity.
                          I was referring to a new and improved OhmConnect that could work both ways to shed load and put load on when needed.
                          I was on Ohm Connect for a couple of years and got a few dividends. During a good portion of that time I also had a hybrid inverter that ran my home during the peak hours. Every time an Ohm Hours came along I had nothing more to reduce since I was already self powered. I kept reading about people that made lots of money with OhmConnect and I found out they purposely ran large loads during the early evening times to get their average consumption up. Then they could drop those loads when an Ohm hour came along and get big dividends. I did refer a few people to OhmConnect and it made them much more aware of their usage. I also liked that my Tesla would stop charging when an Ohm Hour came along. It never happened because I never charged my car during the early evenings at those high rates.

I am now on a similar program called Grid Savvy in which I get paid $5 per month by Sonoma Clean Power to allow them to turn off my EVSE when the grid is stressed. Of course that is ironic because I have that EVSE on a schedule that mirrors my time of use rate. As with my earlier experience, I rarely charge during the early evening. I have been charging at low kW rates in the mornings and during weekends to avoid NBCs,

Actually what I could really use is an EVSE that could interface with one of my monitoring devices (Rainforest, Sense or Neurio) and set the charging rate on my car just below the point where my solar is generating. I have a big NEM credit and don't need to generate more, I need to lower my NBCs, I know it is possible, but I don't have the programming skills to do it. I have been able to turn on my HPWH using IFTTT triggers when the solar is generating.

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by khanh dam
                            Based on the remarks on this forum at least, many people living off grid would not get near a Lithium battery. Of course from a non representative sample of YouTube videos, there are always Preppers . LOL

Comment

• Ampster
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

Using an EV battery for an off grid system is different from maintaining an EV (that you still drive) with an off grid system.
                              Yes, I tried that with my EV conversion. Voltage is the biggest issue. It wan't plug and play and was going to take an elaborate set of large connectors that would take about 10 minutes to reconfigure each time I wanted to drive the car. I am sure I could have found a solution but it was just cheaper to buy a pack from a wrecked Nissan Leaf.

Comment

Working...