Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monogram View Post
    Hi Matrix,
    Thank you for your advise.[LIST][*]If I set the Boost voltage to 30.2V, will it be too high for 24V batteries bank?[*]If I have enough sun time, does increase Boost Time is a better option for the batteries?[*]How to know if I have enough sun time?
    Battery Hydrometer.

Originally posted by monogram View Post
    • The batteries are about 2ft below the controller. I don't remember the wire size but I think it's small wire. What is the correct gauge size for controller to 215A batteries?
    What size is the Controller?

20 to 30 amps = 10 AWG
    40 to 80 amps = 6 AWG

MSEE, PE

Comment

Doubt you have this option on your controller.

Vent your batteries to the outdoors if not already.

As I said, use the largest wire you can fit in the controller.

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
        Doubt you have this option on your controller.
        Yes, my controller does have option to set battery AH. I currently set it to 215AH as battery listed. Do you mean I need to increase that AH number up?

Comment

Setting the ah. of your battery doesn't necessarily set ending amps of absorb, er, Boost stage. You already mentioned it's set at 120 minutes. If you can set ending amps it should be 2 % of your ah. rating ie; 4 amps. If you cant do this you might see if changing your battery ah size changes the 120 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
            Setting the ah. of your battery doesn't necessarily set ending amps of absorb, er, Boost stage. You already mentioned it's set at 120 minutes. If you can set ending amps it should be 2 % of your ah. rating ie; 4 amps. If you cant do this you might see if changing your battery ah size changes the 120 minutes.
            I'm lost on this, would you please explain it again for me?

Since the batteries are inside the house which produced the gas when charging, is it OK for me to have battery 10ft away from controller using solar wire 10AWG ?

Comment

Litleharbor give up.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

If you can set ending amps it should be 2 % of your ah. rating ie; 4 amps. If you cant do this you might see if changing your battery ah size changes the 120 minutes
                Hi Littleharbor,
                I'm lost, would you please explain it in more detail. An example is great.

Comment

I've tried, as Sunking has told you and tried to explain, himself. All I can say is go back and reread what has already been said. Also go and read the stickies at the beginning of the Off-Grid section. Do your best to understand what you've been told. You have been lucky in keeping your loads reasonable. If your controller has info on load control limits, follow it.
                  Good night.

Comment

Hello,
                    I have small question regarding charging flooded lead-acid batteries, I believe in case battery in boost charging mode starts extremely gassing then need to reduce boost charging time and it's mean that battery is full of charge (SOC about 100%), I'm wrong please?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by roma_pop View Post
                      Hello,
                      I have small question regarding charging flooded lead-acid batteries, I believe in case battery in boost charging mode starts extremely gassing then need to reduce boost charging time and it's mean that battery is full of charge (SOC about 100%), I'm wrong please?

Thanks in advance
                      We need to speak on common terms. "Boost" is a marketing term.
                      Please read this page, and study the chart
                      https://www.morningstarcorp.com/lead-acid-batteries/
                      and then we will be able to use common terms to get the answers to your questions.

Common terms for stages:
                      1 = Bulk
                      2 = Absorb (most gassing happens toward the end of this stage)
                      3 = Float
                      4 = monthly Equalize cycle

MS_charge_stages.png
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

We need to speak on common terms. "Boost" is a marketing term.
                        Is that mean "Boost" (marketing term) including both bulk and absorb stages?

Comment

Read the link I posted about charging protocol. Boost is a meaningless word. The 3 stages of charge are Bulk, Absorb & Float. Equalization is a remediation condition, not a "charge".
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I just read your Battery/Charge Controller stages. I realized my inverters over voltage setting is 14.4. My CC needed to be reset. What a weight off my shoulders. Thanks again. Dayrobber out. Later.

Comment

Working...
                            X