Float issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vegrider
    • Sep 2017

Since there have be no replies to my last post, I'm wondering if I have gotten on the wrong side of forum etiquette. I've been extremely grateful for the insights that I've been given, even if it will take me awhile to understand them all, and when I move forward again with a solar professional, this info will give me some baselines to work from. In any case, if I have breached forum protocol I apologize, and would appreciate any guidance relevant to my last post. Thanks.

Comment

• NEOH
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vegrider
      I was able to confirm that my battery type is correctly setup as VRLA and 48V nominal voltage, and 245 Ah nominal capacity. The installer had circled a few things in the manual.

With my setup, it's not clear to me how I would determine the change from Bulk to Absorb mode and how long it stays there. It does seem like knowing this, and particularly the question about how long it stays in Absorb mode, could be relevant., but without a Charge Controller I don't know how to get that number.

I'd like to thank all 4 of you for weighing in on my dilemma. It's clear that I need someone with SMA knowledge for next steps. I think my installer does have that knowledge, but he doesn't always respond (He could be doing post Irma work down in the Caribbean right now). In any case, whoever I find to help me get on track with my system will I'm sure find your comments helpful.

If anything else occurs to any of you or anyone else, let's please continue this thread. Thank you!
      I will repeat again ... The Sunny Island is your Battery Charge Controller.

http://files.sma.de/dl/7910/SI_Batte...t-TI-en-21.pdf

The Sunny Island has a Display Menu that will reveal all of the of information about the battery charging settings.
      You need to read the S.I. Owner's Manual and then step through the menu and learn what is going on.
      If you cannot figure out what is going on, then you need to pay someone to explain it to you.

Before you add new batteries to your existing battery bank ( not recommended )
      first you need determine WHY your existing battery bank is being under-charged.

Adding more batteries does not fix your under-charging problem.
      If you do not resolve this under-charging issue first then ...
      The new batteries will be under-charged,
      and then the new batteries will sulfate,
      and then the new batteries will die.

Then you will have more dead batteries.

I asked you these two questions in Message #11 ...

Q1) What is the voltage of the battery bank when the Charge Controller changes from Bulk mode to Absorb Mode?
      It should be ( 4 x 14.4 volts ) = 57.6 volts (approx)
      Does this actually happen?

Q2) How many hours does the Charge Controller ( S.I. ) stay in Absorb Mode before changing to Float Mode?

I am still waiting for answers to those questions.
      If you are going to maintain your Battery Bank then you must be able to answer those two questions.

Do you know how to use a DC Voltmeter?
      Do you know how to measure the Voltage of the battery Bank when it is charging?

The Sunny Island BATTERY CHARGE CONTROLLER has several different Charging Modes:
      1) I-Phase / Bulk Mode
      2) Uo-Phase / Absorption Mode
      2-a) Absorption Time for Boost Mode
      2-b) Absorption Time for Full Mode
      2-c) Absorption Time for Equalize Mode
      3) U-Phase / Float Mode
      4) Silent Mode
      5) U-Phase / Float Mode
      6) Silent Mode
      Note: the last two steps repeat until you drain the batteries which restarts at Step #1
      This can be seen on your display!
      You need to learn these Charging Modes ASAP.
      If not, then hire someone local to teach you.

http://files.sma.de/dl/15216/SI4548-...-BE-en-21W.pdf

10.1 Menu Structure
      =================
      The navigation area includes the "Home Screen" and the Main Menu items:
      #100 Menu = Meters (display values)
      #200 Menu = Settings
      #300 Menu = Diagnosis
      #400 Menu = Failure/Event (lists)
      #500 Menu = Operation (operating functions)
      #600 Menu = Direct Access

The Main Menu is divided into several sub-menus.
      In a sub-menu, you can select a second sub-menu or a parameter

You need to learn the Sunny Island Main Menu & Sub-Menu's, ASAP.
      If not, then hire someone local to teach you.
      Last edited by NEOH; 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

There is no answer for your question, until you respond with required information.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• vegrider
          • Sep 2017

Thanks Neoh. You've been very helpful even if I haven't been the best student. I've looked at the readouts on both the Sunny Boy and Sunny Island and don't see the word Absorb anywhere as they scroll. And I've gone through the Sunny Island manual and also no luck. Bottom line. I'm over my head and I need to accept that I need professional help to get my system dialed in. I've already gone back to my installer and, perhaps seeing my frustration, was more responsive than in the past. He's taken the SD chip from my SI to analyze.

Thank you to everyone who has weighed in with information. I've printed it all out with the idea that as I learn more I'll be able re-read it and it will start to fill in some pieces for me. Truly appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...