Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a SolarEdge StorEdge battery interface installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sensij View Post

Electricity in New England is generally more expensive on average than in CA.
    Seems to me that the basic rate for Green Mountain residential is less than $0.15/kWh. While I thought the lower rates for most CA POCO's was in the low $0.20/kWh. I am not sure if that is true but I doubt the powerwall has a quick payback in Vermont.

Even as an emergency power backup I don't believe the cost of a battery is cheaper then the cost of an emergency generator for power outages.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Seems to me that the basic rate for Green Mountain residential is less than $0.15/kWh. While I thought the lower rates for most CA POCO's was in the low $0.20/kWh. I am not sure if that is true but I doubt the powerwall has a quick payback in Vermont.

Even as an emergency power backup I don't believe the cost of a battery is cheaper then the cost of an emergency generator for power outages.
      The big CA POCO's are around $0.20/kW and up to 2X that depending on tariff/tier/T.O.E. Smaller co-ops can be less, but $0.15/kWh ain't that common.

Part of the deal w/mini site storage, similar to residential PV generation, is that without some intelligent way to figure/guesstimate some long term cost/kWh of non POCO means of storing power, such as LCOE analysis, talking about cost effectiveness is all just jaw jacking anyway.

Comment

So, no answer to the OP's question ?

Comment

Originally posted by RShackleford View Post
          After 2 1/2 years, the answer is probably yes by now.

Comment

The OPs question was, "Has anyone here gone from a plain old SE7600A system to a StorEdge with battery?"
            So far I have not seen an example on this forum. There is now the promise of an upgrade in the US to convert a grid tie SolarEdge inverter to have the capability of a StorEdge inverter. That upgrade is available elsewhere but not yet in the US.
            As to the second part of the question, so far the only battery that currently works with the Storedge is the high voltage LG Chem battery. SolarEdge is reportedly coming out with a battery of their own.
            By way of background, the original Tesla Powerwall 1 also worked but I don't know if many were installed. Tesla quickly redesigned the Powerwall to be AC coupled (Powerwall 2). That version has sold over 50,000 units and works with almost any grid tie inverter manufactured in the last few years.
            Last edited by Ampster; 10-04-2019, 06:37 AM.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
              The OPs question was, "Has anyone here gone from a plain old SE7600A system to a StorEdge with battery?"
              So far I have not seen an example on this forum. There is now the promise of an upgrade in the US to convert a grid tie SolarEdge inverter to have the capability of a StorEdge inverter. That upgrade is available elsewhere but not yet in the US.
              SolarEdge has from the beginning had an upgrade program. This thread started in 2017 BTW.
              Originally the upgrade was a trade in and that is still an option.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Yes, I saw that in an earlier post. I wasn't aware of that until I read this thread. Good to know. Do you know anyone who has done that or installed batteries? I know several new installs with batteries that have been well received. One, actually replaced Enphase microinverters, the other was a new install. I am not sure either of them used the SGIP rebates.
                Last edited by Ampster; 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I have a StorEdge 7600 inverter with LG 10 Chem Resu battery installed in July 2018. The original battery was a dud, and it took nearly 6
                  months for LG to own up that it was their problem and not the inverter or electrical installation. Eventually they shipped a replacement and it has been operating fine (backup only) since January 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
                    Tesla quickly redesigned the Powerwall to be AC coupled (Powerwall 2). That version has sold over 50,000 units and works with almost any grid tie inverter manufactured in the last few years.
                    Including micro-inverters ?

Comment

Including micro-inverters ?
                      You can AC couple with most micro inverters just like any other grid tie inverter system.
                      You are not limited to powerwall 2 though, you can AC couple to most bimodal inverters.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
                        You can AC couple with most micro inverters just like any other grid tie inverter system.
                        Makes sense.

You are not limited to powerwall 2 though, you can AC couple to most bimodal inverters.
                        Right, and those inverters tend to be quite expensive, but allow you to use much cheaper batteries like deep-cycle AGM. A trade-off.

Comment

Right, and those inverters tend to be quite expensive, but allow you to use much cheaper batteries like deep-cycle AGM. A trade-off.
                          The powerwall 2 has a cheap small inverter and is integral to the battery (not as flexible).
                          It also does not have all the disconnect and management required for backup and for AC coupling etc, so other added equipment needs to be added, increasing the cost of install.
                          Since it is integral to the battery it will have to be replaced with the battery at end of life ... all trade offs.

Comment

I can add that the another limitation is that the operating modes are limited by Tesla and there is no way to have it charge from the grid unless it is installed without solar. That limitation is apparently to insure that the users can take the Investment Tax Credit. That is another tradeoff. It might work for those who don't need to customize it to fit their circumstances. It does have a good Time Based control mode that some have reported works well. It also wasn't designed for off grid mode.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 10-04-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Any news on the new solaredge products that are supposed to be coming out this quarter?

Comment

Why bother with the StoreEdge? Just get a Tesla 2 AC-coupled.

Comment

Working...
                                X