No announcement yet.

Help me with my system design, solar with generator backup without battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might be an easy question to answer, but I can't find the answer. I am planning on getting a clean sine wave 240V generator and connecting it to my main electric panel with a double pole breaker using an interlock kit. My concern is that if the power goes out and the generator turns on, the solaredge might think that the grid is back up and send solar electricity into the panel, and this might send backfeed into the generator, or the generator might send backfeed to the inverter. Is this a possible situation I need to worry about? If so, what can be done to address this?

Comment

• huge
      huge commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm planning on putting a couple of panels in the backyard once everything is done and approved. Would I be able to wire it myself? It would be about half the price if I wire it myself vs having installer do it

• ButchDeal
      ButchDeal commented
      Editing a comment
      an how are you planning to connect these "couple" modules to the already installed system?
      break a string? parallel?

• huge
      huge commented
      Editing a comment
      Parallel? Not sure

Most generators are not stable enough [ 60.00 Hz ] to allow a inverter to backfeed it. Inverter generators are stable enough, but most cannot (too small) be used as a whole house backup.
    As Butch says
    Just put the inverter on the grid side of the interlock.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Gee's, I was wondering why no one told him earlier you simply can not run solar off line without batteries, or in direct contact with a generator. He is trying to make the impossible happen!

Comment

• huge
        huge commented
        Editing a comment
        So are you saying it needs either a battery or direct contact with a generator, or can't run in direct contact with generator?
        What if I get some kind of cheap battery and connect the generator to the battery so there's no direct contact?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or money to change the placement of the Interconnection point. If I get a battery pack down the line, will the solaredge work with the generator?

Can I do a grid zero or off grid application with the solaredge incorporating a generator?
      Last edited by huge; 07-13-2016, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huge View Post
        Unfortunately, I don't have the time or money to change the placement of the Interconnection point. If I get a battery pack down the line, will the solaredge work with the generator?

Can I do a grid zero or off grid application with the solaredge incorporating a generator?

If you have a SolarEdge SE7600 you can upgrade it to a SToreEdge, add a powerwall, add an emergency service panel,
        you would have to contact SolarEdge if there is an easy way to put it into a mode to not back feed the generator. I don't know if there is an easy way to configure it automatically to do this though. You might have to contact SolarEdge directly to see if this can be done or work with your install on the plan.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

You guys were right. I tried to test it this weekend. I turned on the generator then I turned on the solar system. I'll try to post a picture of what happened.

Comment

Took me some time to figure out how to upload
            Attached Files

Comment

You are lucky your inverter didn't sync and burn your geni
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
              X