X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am trying to install a grid tie / battery back-up residential PV system and I was hoping to get some useful pointers as far as preferred equip.among other things. I was thinking of going w/ the sunny island w/LG Chem batt. The house needs 8kw system to offset current use.(w/ a little room to move) There will be a dedicated loads panel. The loads have not been isolated as of yet. Since this is the first batt / grid-tie I have done I was hoping someone could clarify how, once the backed up loads are isolated in the dedicated panel will these loads get power when not on back up power(batt) if at all?

Comment

Originally posted by JMW77 View Post
      I am trying to install a grid tie / battery back-up residential PV system and I was hoping to get some useful pointers as far as preferred equip.among other things. I was thinking of going w/ the sunny island w/LG Chem batt. The house needs 8kw system to offset current use.(w/ a little room to move) There will be a dedicated loads panel. The loads have not been isolated as of yet. Since this is the first batt / grid-tie I have done I was hoping someone could clarify how, once the backed up loads are isolated in the dedicated panel will these loads get power when not on back up power(batt) if at all?
      There is a built in transfer switch that will ensure the loads are running off the grid if it is available.

Comment

I am in need of guidance to help a friend who lives overseas in a country where grid power outages are quite common. All systems run on 220V AC. He has had a battery backed 8kW PV system with 4 inverters which would switch to backup power when grid supply went down. Recently, the utility has started offering net metering and he wants to know if it makes sense for him. His vendor has proposed a single SMA10000TL inverter with SMA WebConnect module for net metering setup. He is told that his existing system will work as Backup system (UPS) where the PV will be attached to Grid Tied Inverter.
        I'm not sure how it will switch in the existing system as a backup. The single line diagram (attached) they have provided doesn't show any link with the existing inverters and batteries. Is SMA1000TL a hybrid inverter and should the system look something like the second diagram?
        Attached Files

Comment

My hybrid system arose because of need. I have had a 1,000 watt off grid system with an Outback FX3048 inverter. The system is to provide power during our frequent outages. However, I run some circuits off it during the day to decrease my electric bill (0.34/kwh). I finally got permission to install a 3000 watt grid tie with an SMA inverter. Of course the grid tie is down when the grid is down. So, I use a 5000 watt transformer to change the output of the Outback from 120v AC to 240v AC. I put in a manual transfer switch to bring the Outback power into the SMA when the grid is down, and now my 3000 watt panels can be of use during power outages. The only tricky thing is handling the excess power the panels produce. They charge the batteries, but the Outback does not regulate battery charging when the power is going "backwards" through it, so doing this can quickly overcharge the batteries. I have a water heater element as a diversion load, but even that is not enough, and sometimes I just have to turn on enough appliances to use the power. However, I am very happy to have all that power available for use during outages!

Comment

Welcome. Yes, the issues of unregulated battery charging. Is your GT system on 1 string, or 2 ? Perhaps one string can be disabled as the batteries come up to full ?
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

My GT is all one string. I'd like to add another 3kw string, but our utility won't let me.

Comment

Ummm...How do I post a new thread topic? I only see Reply option. Thx much.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVillagesGuy View Post
                  Ummm...How do I post a new thread topic? I only see Reply option. Thx much.
                  Apparently the forum software does not give new members the ability to create a new thread topic. The IT department is looking into it.

Comment

Stickies should be locked down and closed.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Stickies should be locked down and closed.
                      Done and done

Comment

Working...
                      X