This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NothingInCommon View Post

Well I was asking because i read one of the shortcomings of grid tie inverter was that you cant use the PV array to power your home if the grid went down. I just wanted to know if the one you mentioned would continue to operator absent of batteries AND should the grid power go out? (during the day of course)
    No. As far as I know there is no bimodal inverter that will provide wired in power to the home without a battery. The Storedge will only do that once a battery is added.

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Well I was asking because i read one of the shortcomings of grid tie inverter was that you cant use the PV array to power your home if the grid went down. I just wanted to know if the one you mentioned would continue to operator absent of batteries AND should the grid power go out? (during the day of course)
      You might take a look at what CyboEnergy is making. Their products are not very straight forward but I believe they will power resistive loads without battery via their modular system. Not a lot of information out there on how these are working out.

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post

You might take a look at what CyboEnergy is making. Their products are not very straight forward but I believe they will power resistive loads without battery via their modular system. Not a lot of information out there on how these are working out.
        So I looked up this brand and they only have 1.2kw "on/off" grid inverters.. I wanted something more powerful.

From your advice i found out about this term "on/off grid inverter" and did a search -> http://www.mustpower.com/ph3000-thre...verter-9-12kw/

This claims to support up to 12kw ( I plan to get 11kwh in panels)

With an inverter like this.. could I avoid power interruptions during the day if I DID NOT have any batteries?

Comment

So I looked up this brand and they only have 1.2kw "on/off" grid inverters.. I wanted something more powerful.

From your advice i found out about this term "on/off grid inverter" and did a search -> http://www.mustpower.com/ph3000-thre...verter-9-12kw/

This claims to support up to 12kw ( I plan to get 11kwh in panels)

With an inverter like this.. could I avoid power interruptions during the day if I DID NOT have any batteries?
          This is a sticky thread. Just a little hint though both of those inverters require batteries to work off grid. They are still bimodal inverters though.
          the other ones mentioned before can do resistive loads like water heater without a battery but not wired in household loads.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

As you learn more about photovoltaics, you will eventually understand why no PV inverter, ever, will be able to offer uninterrupted household power without some kind of storage. It is just not possible.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

As you learn more about photovoltaics, you will eventually understand why no PV inverter, ever, will be able to offer uninterrupted household power without some kind of storage. It is just not possible.
              What if you got just a couple of batteries then? Or would you have to have a bank that is proportional with the size of your PV array?

ie: if I have 11kwh in panels , an on/off grid inverter, and a small bank of batteries (less than 11kwh) - would I be able to draw from the full array on a sunny day or would i be "bottlenecked" by the size of the bank?

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

This is a sticky thread. Just a little hint though both of those inverters require batteries to work off grid. They are still bimodal inverters though.
                the other ones mentioned before can do resistive loads like water heater without a battery but not wired in household loads.
                sorry - should i not be updating this thread?

Comment

What if you got just a couple of batteries then?
                  1) Large inverters will not work with "a couple of batteries." The first time you had a starting surge the batteries would sag, the LVD would trip and the system would shut down.
                  2) "A couple of batteries" will be destroyed by 11 kW of solar. You have to keep charge rates down to C/8 which would be an enormous battery bank at 11kW input.
                  ie: if I have 11kwh in panels , an on/off grid inverter, and a small bank of batteries (less than 11kwh) - would I be able to draw from the full array on a sunny day or would i be "bottlenecked" by the size of the bank?
                  Some unit problems there.

First you likely have 11kW of solar, not 11kWhr. Secondly, for standard batteries you'd need 88kwhr worth of batteries - or ~64 golf cart batteries - to accept that much charge. And there's no way that 64 golf cart batteries make sense (they wouldn't last long) so you are looking at something like Surette 2V jugs, which are pricey.

If you want to go exotic you could look into things like ultracapacitors - but now you are well beyond anything practical/reliable and into science experiments. They also have next to no energy storage, so you'd have something like 30 seconds of standby at full load.

Comment

OK guys I keep watching videos that contradict some of the information I got here. According to this guy, you can do grid-tie and STILL use the PV array for power in a grid down scenario WITHOUT batteries using an SMA inverter. PLEASE clarify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izjZBCRyCK8&t=11m45s
                    Last edited by NothingInCommon; 06-07-2017, 10:44 PM.

Comment

So wat is better for a home system a hybrid or get everything alone (cc)

n if u want to get a hybrid wat do u look for the most to make sure u buying a gud hybrid system?

I have Tristar mppt 60a n 1k inv. n sum1 telling me I should sell it n get a hybrid
                      http://neosunenergy.com/product/sola...er-neosun-pvh/

wat u think I should do sell or keep mines ?
                      wat u think of that band hybrid?

Comment

OK guys I keep watching videos that contradict some of the information I got here. According to this guy, you can do grid-tie and STILL use the PV array for power in a grid down scenario WITHOUT batteries using an SMA inverter. PLEASE clarify.

The reason those inverters will work if the grid goes down is because they have the Secure power option. That allows you to harvest between 1500 and 2000 watts of power from your panels if there is sunlight. You still do not get the full output from your panel wattage due to the inverter limitations.

The other drawback with the secure power option is that you have to manually imitate it to work and then manually shut it down and then start the inverter back up again when the grid comes back.

Another drawback is that the secure power source can work intermittently depending on how much sun (if any) hitting the panels.

The way I look at it is that the majority of the times I lose grid power is either during the night or during a storm. The secure power option will not provide me anything in those situations. But for others is may provide enough power to charge something up.

Just remember that what is posted on Youtube is not necessarily 100% truthful.

Comment

The secure power feature on SMA inverters is a way to use SOME of the array's output, yes. The problem is you will at best get 2000 watts from an added receptacle at the inverter which, in the event of a grid down scenario, you will have to manually switch it on. If your array isn't potting out 2000 watts you wont get full power. Say there are thunder storms in the area or a wide spread storm that knocks the grid out. If your array isn't in good full sunlight you may not get much usable power. Then when the grid comes back up you need to manually switch the inverter back, otherwise your inverter is only powering the single secure power circuit.
                          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

The secure power feature on SMA inverters is a way to use SOME of the array's output, yes. The problem is you will at best get 2000 watts from an added receptacle at the inverter which, in the event of a grid down scenario, you will have to manually switch it on. If your array isn't potting out 2000 watts you wont get full power. Say there are thunder storms in the area or a wide spread storm that knocks the grid out. If your array isn't in good full sunlight you may not get much usable power. Then when the grid comes back up you need to manually switch the inverter back, otherwise your inverter is only powering the single secure power circuit.
                            In other words it is not really that useful for short outages OR maintaining an average standard of living. However, it IS a way to extract SOME energy from the resource you have already invested in in the event of some major grid disruption you may or may not believe could happen. The more panel wattage you have, the more likely you are to see that secure power outlet providing that 2kW during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by adoublee View Post

In other words it is not really that useful for short outages OR maintaining an average standard of living. However, it IS a way to extract SOME energy from the resource you have already invested in in the event of some major grid disruption you may or may not believe could happen. The more panel wattage you have, the more likely you are to see that secure power outlet providing that 2kW during the day.
                              If the cost for that secure power option is low then for some it is worth while to get it. Unfortunately most people that install a large grid tie system get pissed off when they find out it will not work when the grid is down or only a very small portion may work if the sun is out.

We just want people to make good decisions on good information. Sometime YouTube is not a good or reliable source of information. Best place to get it is by research, reading and learning all about the solar technology hardware and what it can really provide.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

If the cost for that secure power option is low then for some it is worth while to get it. Unfortunately most people that install a large grid tie system get pissed off when they find out it will not work when the grid is down or only a very small portion may work if the sun is out.

We just want people to make good decisions on good information. Sometime YouTube is not a good or reliable source of information. Best place to get it is by research, reading and learning all about the solar technology hardware and what it can really provide.
                                Once there was the Reader's Digest. Now there's U-tube.The new idiot's bible.

Comment

Working...
                                X