X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmanInPA
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
    As long as you understand the disadvantages of batteries (they are not the magic cure for everything) and are willing to pay the price, we're happy for you.
    Thanks Mike90250 - Yes, there are plenty of disadvantages involved - and plenty I'm sure I'm not even aware of at present! I totally agree that batteries aren't a magic bullet - as is the case with any system that produces energy. They all seem to have their vulnerabilities and a sober understanding of that is pretty important in setting up these systems. Glad (partially) to see you have an XW inverter - now I know at least one other person who experiences some of the madness that I experience configuring one. Do you have the Combox, or do you use the SCP to manage yours?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

I have the old Gateway, SCP and a combox. I can monitor with the combox display and tweak settings on the SCP very easily. Also, you can use 2 web browsers with the same combox, one to monitor, and one to adjust with,
      And somewhere in the fine print, you can discover that AC breakers 1 & 2 internally apply a 20% derate, along with the Gen Support Amps also has a derate.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Perhaps you should look into how professionals design data centers and other such facilities where outages cannot be tolerated. None use solar. They use a Dual Conversion UPS sized to run the load for 1 hour at most using hybrid UPS AGM batteries. When power goes out, there is No Interruption in power with a Dual Conversion UPS. The UPS is online at all times. The batteries immediately pick up the load without any interruption, the generator comes online and takes over in less than a minute. Generator runs until power is restored.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• gmanInPA
          Solar Fanatic
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
          Perhaps you should look into how professionals design data centers and other such facilities where outages cannot be tolerated. None use solar. They use a Dual Conversion UPS sized to run the load for 1 hour at most using hybrid UPS AGM batteries. When power goes out, there is No Interruption in power with a Dual Conversion UPS. The UPS is online at all times. The batteries immediately pick up the load without any interruption, the generator comes online and takes over in less than a minute. Generator runs until power is restored.
          Sunking - serious, non-smartazz question... if someone has invested in the batteries and inverter for such a system you describe - one that uses the batteries for momentary load support until a generator kicks in - Would it really be all that expensive to add some PV to essentially trickle charge those batteries?

I know PV costs more than grid-power (for most of the population)... but in the case you describe, such a battery could be relatively small (as AH go). If so, a small amount of PV to keep such a battery charged - depending on it's installation parameters wouldn't extend the cost by all that much at the point, would it? I'm not trying to justify the PV element here - you're right - it's unneeded.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gmanInPA

Sunking - serious, non-smartazz question... if someone has invested in the batteries and inverter for such a system you describe - one that uses the batteries for momentary load support until a generator kicks in - Would it really be all that expensive to add some PV to essentially trickle charge those batteries?

I know PV costs more than grid-power (for most of the population)... but in the case you describe, such a battery could be relatively small (as AH go). If so, a small amount of PV to keep such a battery charged - depending on it's installation parameters wouldn't extend the cost by all that much at the point, would it? I'm not trying to justify the PV element here - you're right - it's unneeded.
            To be honest you would have to do the math. Is it less expensive to use solar pv panels and charge controller to keep the batteries charged or to use the grid and a low cost battery charger?

Either way you still need the generator. If cost isn't an issue then go with the solar otherwise why?

If I was in the business to sell solar products I would push someone to getting them. I am here on this forum to help people make wise choices in using solar and when not to if cost and ROI is part of the equation.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

Comment

• gmanInPA
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2016

The only reason I can see for having PV in such a system is to extend fuel. You will still ultimately need fuel regardless if you have PV or not - but it could make the fuel last longer. Still, is it worth it? That's a values question IMO.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

The only reason I can see for having PV in such a system is to extend fuel. You will still ultimately need fuel regardless if you have PV or not - but it could make the fuel last longer. Still, is it worth it? That's a values question IMO.
                I agree the question concerns someones "values" but should also include the knowledge of wisely spending their money.

I support using PV and other renewable energy sources, but people need to understand the financial aspect completely and not let the fuzzyness of being green cloud their judgement and actions.

Go with solar for the right reasons.

Comment

• Logan005
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2015

PV is best when grid tied. if you do have backup batteries, PV still works best grid tied and use some of that power to maintain batteries. If you decided to dedicate panels to maintaining batteries, once battery bank reaches FULL, rest of that days power is wasted. no savings there.
                  4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• gmanInPA
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2016

Logan005 Do you consider Hybrid or Grid-interactive to be ok, or in the same boat as backup? Though there are some very annoying nuances to such - my inverter allows me to sell any surplus back to the 'grid' - which, being a branch circuit would fist be circuits NOT on the inverter loads, and then any excess from there goes to the grid. My main beef with such is that the XW limits my grid output to 18 Amps. To double that, I would need an additional inverter, or to upgrade north from 24v. Nevertheless... if someone plunked down for a 48v system with a hybrid inverter, they could put some power into the grid, but nowhere as much as a grid-tied system.
                    Last edited by gmanInPA; 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• gmanInPA
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

I agree the question concerns someones "values" but should also include the knowledge of wisely spending their money.

I support using PV and other renewable energy sources, but people need to understand the financial aspect completely and not let the fuzzyness of being green cloud their judgement and actions.

Go with solar for the right reasons.
                      If only I could hit the like button more than once!

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

If only I could hit the like button more than once!
                        Thank you . I appreciate your understanding of my feelings on the technology.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Logan005 Nevertheless... if someone plunked down for a 48v system with a hybrid inverter, they could put some power into the grid, but nowhere as much as a grid-tied system.
                          Why? Most hybrid / bimodal systems I have seen/installed are fully capable of feeding in what they produce. Mine is smaller but with a 3kw inverter I could easily handle more solar than I have. The ones we install are able to feed in all the power. Granted bimodal have less efficiency due to the batteries needing to be topped off etc.
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• gmanInPA
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                            Why? Most hybrid / bimodal systems I have seen/installed are fully capable of feeding in what they produce. Mine is smaller but with a 3kw inverter I could easily handle more solar than I have. The ones we install are able to feed in all the power. Granted bimodal have less efficiency due to the batteries needing to be topped off etc.

ButchDeal - I was speaking only from the experience I have with my inverter - it limits the grid sell Amps. I suppose as long as I don't produce more than 18 Amps, it could feed in 100% of the production to the grid - true. Schneider's advice to me was that if I wanted to sell more PV, upgrade my inverter. For me to upgrade to any other Schneider hybrid inverter would necessitate voltage upgrade. Also - you're going to be dedicating some of the power to the batteries - hence the deficit compared to the grid-tied system. In my situation, I cannot produce more than my loads + battery charge + 18 Amps of Grid. I would think that any hybrid inverter would be limited by the Amps of it's AC breaker and even then, would want to stick to a fraction of that.
                            Last edited by gmanInPA; 03-10-2016, 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

If the economics worked, pros would do it. Fact is generator with UPS is far less expensive and more reliable. To do it your way requires a large set of batteries that need constant replacement.The initial cost of a large battery bank, solar, maintenance, and replacement cost are much higher cost and less reliable. Been doing this professionally for over 35 years. As a professional we use the most cost effective and reliable approach.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 03-10-2016, 01:54 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• ButchDeal
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Apr 2014

ButchDeal I would think that any hybrid inverter would be limited by the Amps of it's AC breaker and even then, would want to stick to a fraction of that.
                                All inverters are limited by the AC breaker. Hybrid actually less so as they have two feed outs, though only one goes to the grid. For example my FP1 with a 3kw inverter and 3kw pv has a 60a AC1 and 60a AC2. Allowing me to feed 60a through the FP1 to the critical load panel. The 3kw inverter can only output continuous 25amps so the AC breakers will easily allow it. My PV would not generate that much except on very cold windy days

(page 33) http://outbackpower.com/downloads/do...fp1_manual.pdf
                                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...