New APS rate plans are good for solar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reply. Epr-6. Plan.
    Last edited by Dave1958; 08-22-2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1958 View Post
      I live in Litchfield Park AZ. We had 12.5 KW solar system installed last year in order to meet grandfather clause. After many design delays from APS, we finally went live in December of 2017. My monthly bill as been running between $22.00 and $25.00 a month. Currently I have almost 6000 kwh's banked and on track to have over 10,000 kwh's by the end of the year. I am on APS's standard plan. Can anyone give me a rough amount one that I would receive back from APS for 10,000 kwh's? On the face it would appear that we installed a larger system than we needed. This house is a second home, which will become our main home when we retire in a few years. So right now we are only there every 4 to 6 weeks thus the excess power. Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.
      I'm on APS and I get reimbursed at a rate of $0.029 per kWh.That calculates to $290 for your 10,000 watts I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post

I'm on APS and I get reimbursed at a rate of $0.029 per kWh.That calculates to $290 for your 10,000 watts I think.
        Yes, but that is on the old "grandfathered in system" right? On the old net-metering system, APS credited you for excess kWh generated and only at the end of the December bill did any excess credit get turned into dollars at that 2.9cent rate. For the great majority of your solar generation, you are getting full retail value. On the new "RCP" system, APS simply pays you 12.9cents for every kWh you push out onto the grid. Doesn't matter what rate plan you have or anything.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Hey Ian: That's $290 for 10,000 kWh, right ?

Sell your place yet ?

Regards,

J.P.M.

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post

Yes, but that is on the old "grandfathered in system" right? On the old net-metering system, APS credited you for excess kWh generated and only at the end of the December bill did any excess credit get turned into dollars at that 2.9cent rate. For the great majority of your solar generation, you are getting full retail value. On the new "RCP" system, APS simply pays you 12.9cents for every kWh you push out onto the grid. Doesn't matter what rate plan you have or anything.
            Yes, I'm grandfathered. While the 12.9 cents per kWh sounds nice, because they shifted the peak time to later in the day, I would rack up a lot of peak kWh which in my rate schedule is 25 cents per kWh during the summer. IMHO, APS probably analyzed everything thoroughly and came up with a plan that penalizes solar at the individual level but made the changes complex enough to make it difficult for the average person to understand the full effect. Right now I produce just enough peak time energy to avoid any peak electricity charges. I will stay on the grandfathered plan and let the next owner decide what they want to do. Not worth fussing with at this point since I hope to be in Sedona by Xmas 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Hey Ian: That's $290 for 10,000 kWh, right ?

Sell your place yet ?

Regards,

J.P.M.
              Yes kWh whatever was I thinking?!!! That's a newbie mistake that an engineer like me should never make!

No house won't be listed for another year. There are some things I have to take care of first. I fell recently and hurt my other shoulder but the doc is optimistic I won't have to have rotator cuff surgery on that one. Hey you fall forward and your arms reflexively reach out to break your fall! Thankfully, my repaired shoulder seems to be unscathed.

Comment

Yes kWh whatever was I thinking?!!! That's a newbie mistake that an engineer like me should never make!

No house won't be listed for another year. There are some things I have to take care of first. I fell recently and hurt my other shoulder but the doc is optimistic I won't have to have rotator cuff surgery on that one. Hey you fall forward and your arms reflexively reach out to break your fall! Thankfully, my repaired shoulder seems to be unscathed.
                Glad to hear you're sitting up/taking nourishment.

I've had both rotator cuffs done. Too many years of too much swimming and pitching. The best thing I can say about the surgical experiences it is I'm glad I only have two shoulders.

Comment

Hey all, I'm wondering what I should do. I recently had a 9kW PV system installed, but I haven't switched plans to a more renewable-friendly one yet. I'm currently on the "Combined Advantage 7pm-Noon" plan, where I'm paying $0.10256 / $0.04750​ per kW for on-peak/off-peak. Demand is $15.61 per kW. I just got my latest bill and it's around $160. So my question is, is there a more solar-friendly plan I should be on to bring my bill down a bit?

Comment

Worst: If your solar system was installed since Sept 1 of 2017, APS should have already forced you onto their new plan. Stay on the Combined Advantage plan if you can as it is "net-metered" for solar where you get retail value for all the solar power you produce. If you make any changes to your plan, you will lose this "grandfathered" status and have to switch to one of the new plans - (which are not that bad either)
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Thanks Solarix. Do all the new plans have a "demand" fee?

Comment

Look at all the plans and run numbers.. really depends on how you use power and when.all are 3-8 pm now. And like said , if you're grandfathered with net metering you probably shouldn't change without analyzing it all.

Saver choice- high base rates, no demand,grid access charge.
                        Choice plus - mid rates, mid demand,no grid charge.
                        Choice max. - super low rates, high demand. Similar to your current plan, no grid charge.

Also look athe their peak event pricing rider. Cpp-res.
                        June thru Sept, exchanges a few days of higher peak rates for like a 1.2c discount on off-peak. Given how much night time ac most of us use, it's probably gonna be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                        X