PG&E E-6 TOU, NEM 1 and NEM 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG&E E-6 TOU, NEM 1 and NEM 2

So I'm trying to figure out how exactly to value a particular kWh produced/consumed for me which just grandfathered into E-6 (closing end of month) and NEM 1 (closing by October).

Here's a good page on figuring out what energy is worth with this complicated setup they give us

First my question then a summary of how I believe it works. When you 'sell' (get credit) for exporting kWh, those are at the non tiered current customer price, correct? So if I am exporting 1kWh at a time where buying a kWh is 20 cents, then I'm getting a 20 cents credit, and that exporting is always at baseline price (not tiered)? But I buy at my tiered rate.

Otherwise here's the short version of my understanding
    • You buy at your tiered rate, but if you have a well-sized system your tier is always baseline
    • You always sell at your baseline rate (I believe)
    • However E-6 TOU is best because you sell at highest rate during day and buy at lowest rate at night (>2X)
    • PG&E holds on to about $10 every month from you until True Up
    • However if you’re running a deficit, as you usually are when system is sized to 80%, you owe more than that anyhow
    • Getting to roll over credit really pays off, you generate excess in the summer and use that in the winter
    My rates at the moment decoded and attached

Now that NEM1 cap has been reached in California, the same question can be asked about TOU rates under NEM2.
    What rate will PG&E credit for solar production during the day for summer and winter?

It would be really helpful for all who'll be considering going Solar from this point forward. Does California NEM2 make it so much less attractive to discourage new installations? How is this going to impact cost/DC watt installed?
    Last edited by rmk9785e; 12-19-2016, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I realize this thread is a few months old. Maybe this info will help others.

I am also learning about solar and looking into the cost benefits as a PG&E a customer. I spoke with PGE two times regarding NEM2. One person knew some things, the other person knew many. It is definitely confusing for me as my current rate is E1 and is a simple .20 per kw at Tier 1, .28 Tier 2. I never used enough to hit Tier 2 rates.

Here are NEM2 components.

- $145 service/connect fee
      - Non-bypassable charges, NBC, of .02-.03 for every kw PGE delivers to your house. This included the kw's reimbursed, credited back, to you
      - .32 daily service charge. ~$10 monthly bill
      - kw's supplied to PGE are credited in kw's. Not a monetary price credit per TOU schedule.
      - Twice a year a $17.50 refund is provided to all PGE customers
      - PGE pays wholesale rates for any kw's you over supply to PGE. About .025 per kw. This happens at the annual "TrueUp" billing.
      - PGE has an annual "TrueUp" every year. This is when all the credits, charges, are calculated and a bill is produced. I am not clear if this happens at the end of year or starts and ends with the solar install date with PGE.
      - TOU Rates:

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residentia...-use-plan.page

https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/...HEDS_E-TOU.pdf

Initially, NEM2 was discouraging and made solar less appealing for me. However, solar prices are coming down and larger, more efficient, systems can be installed for less then a year or two ago. Especially for the dyi'er. And from everything reported, this will continue. If I were to move forward with solar, it makes more sense to oversize the system to ensure the use of solar only. And to be sure that the solar power is ample during "peak times". Although, during the winter months this seems unrealistic given the peak time is 3pm-8pm. Also, the solar sizing would take into account solar panels efficiency degradation of 20% 20 years from now. I believe that in the past many systems were designed to "offset" PGE supplied power. For me, this approach with NEM2 would not be appealing given the reasons mentioned. And, PGE seems to hint at this as well:

"Prior to the implementation of TOU rates, many solar installers in PG&E

Comment

Working...
      X