Stacking non-identical trace/xantrex sw/swplus 5548 inverters ??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briank
    • Dec 2011

Stacking non-identical trace/xantrex sw/swplus 5548 inverters ??

I just found an awesone deal on a trace sw5548 and a xantrex swplus5548
    I want to stack these units for 240volt opereation.
    Instructions on stacking specifies identical units.
    Does anyone have info on stacking non- identical sw5548's?
    Should it still work fine or is the stacking interface on these two units not going to sync?

Thanks for any info.
    Brian
  • RCinFLA
    • Aug 2011

I have two SW+5548's and two SW4048's both stacked.

I can tell you the stacking cable in the same for both. (attached schematic)

The SW+ and SW may have different lock times depending on SW rev of non-plus unit. My two 4048's that are stacked have different SW rev's and the newer unit takes about a minute longer to re-engage when grid returns. Other then that quirk there is no problem. I have never tried connecting the plus to non-plus units. I can tell you the plus units hang on a bit longer for a startup surge current so they are good when you have a tough motor to start.

My guess is the stacking will probably work. Other then controlling simultaneous shutdown/activation and off grid phase sync, stacked units operate pretty much independently.
    Attached Files

Comment

• wasif
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by RCinFLA

The SW+ and SW may have different lock times depending on SW rev of non-plus unit. My two 4048's that are stacked have different SW rev's and the newer unit takes about a minute longer to re-engage when grid returns. Other then that quirk there is no problem. I have never tried connecting the plus to non-plus units. I can tell you the plus units hang on a bit longer for a startup surge current so they are good when you have a tough motor to start.

My guess is the stacking will probably work. Other then controlling simultaneous shutdown/activation and off grid phase sync, stacked units operate pretty much independently.
      Thank you for your helpful response, I am doing the same thing with two SW4024, need a stacking cable or diagram, so far your response was the best.
      Wasif

Comment

• RCinFLA
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by wasif
        Thank you for your helpful response, I am doing the same thing with two SW4024, need a stacking cable or diagram, so far your response was the best.
        Wasif

All SW's and SW+'s use the same series stacking cable, as shown in schematic. You can make up simply with DB25 ribbon version and ribbon cable. This is what they sell you if you buy one. I did not like the ribbon cable and made mine from multi-wire circular cable, soldering all the connections on DB25 connectors. Looks much better and no exposed ribbon cable.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

All SW's and SW+'s use the same series stacking cable, as shown in schematic. You can make up simply with DB25 ribbon version and ribbon cable. This is what they sell you if you buy one. I did not like the ribbon cable and made mine from multi-wire circular cable, soldering all the connections on DB25 connectors. Looks much better and no exposed ribbon cable.
          Although it may not matter for this application, the circular cable is less susceptible to interference from electronic noise. Especially if it is shielded. (But only connect the shield on one end.)
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Firstlight
            • Mar 2014

Firstlight

Thank you for posting the schematic. I have been trying to buy a stacking cable without success. This will help me build one.

Comment

• nomatter
              • Aug 2014

thankyou

Great

Comment

• CodeGenius
                • Oct 2014

Thanks for the schematic

This is just what I need.....

Comment

• jbinverters
                  • Feb 2015

Thanks for the post I have a lot of customers asking for these cables

Thanks for the post I have a lot of customers asking for these cables

Comment

• xtian777
                    • Feb 2015

Thank you !

Thank you ! This is what I needed for a long time !

Comment

• mtndriver
                      • Apr 2015

Thanks for the info. We are trying to replace the dumb transformer we currently use with another 5548, but are also faced with adding a 5548+ to a non-plus 5548. We will see how this works...

Comment

• Oscar Chacon
                        • Jul 2015

Stacking cable

Thank you, you help my problem

Oscarhttp://www.solarpaneltalk.com/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

Comment

• Oscar Chacon
                          • Jul 2015

Stacking cable

Wow this is what i was looking for

thank you!!

Comment

• prc
                            • Sep 2015

Big help

This thread was really handy!
                            Thanks all!

Comment

• cbgatlin
                              • Sep 2015

stacking trace sw4024

I need to find a pin out schematic or cable for serial stacking of 2 trace sw 4024.

Comment

Working...