• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by akirmse
    oregon_phil
    Battery status lights: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EX85Zh3U19WdTn4RA (I have seen the charging and discharging lights go on, and they seem correct to me)
    Battery breaker positions: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XtQb9DHbyEzdBK5A9
    Overall view including inverter: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoqRnYHZ5MCVgVV57

The Solaredge app shows the battery percentage correctly, but the battery subpage always gives an error, and the system diagram shows only the inverter and the panels.
    Another question to ask your installer when they get out there.

- My Battery subpage always gives an error. What's causing it?
    - My system diagram only shows inverter and panels. Why doesn't the app show all equipment?

There is a commissioning document/file on the SE website for the Backup Interface titled "se-backup-interface-installation-checklist-application-note-na_0.pdf". Your installer should have followed this document.

It is my belief that the Backup Interface and the battery should be visible on the SE phone app showing energy flow. Otherwise, what good is the app?

Some other thoughts:

1) The SolarEdge inverter wiring box is pretty much sealed up to the environment and has a water drain fitting for moisture build up. The Backup Interface unit has two large openings in it. The first for the fan air inlet for the fan you are going to get replaced and the second opening is an air outlet in the upper left of the unit. Your backup interface is exterior to your house and you have circuit boards inside of the Backup Interface. This is more than just a transfer switch. In the winter, compared to the rest of the environment, it will be nice and warm inside that box. It has been my experience that insects like this environment. Spiders and ants will eventually migrate to those openings. Just be aware of that. You can't spray anything in there to kill them. You have to prevent them from entering in the first place. I'm probably overreacting.

2) have your installer perform a grid shutdown test for you to witness first hand.

3) what level of authority do you have for your system? in other words, do you have installer access?

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Makes sense the fan clicking would be related to hot afternoons. Glad akirmse got it diagnosed
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• akirmse
        • Jun 2022

oregon_phil

Thanks for the advice on what to ask my installer when they come back. I have not been super happy with the consumer SE app. For example, I cannot use it to set the battery reserve. My installer said they put in a feature request to SE for that, but I'm not holding my breath. I've also noticed that although it appears to show the realtime production numbers correctly, their graphs are sometimes hours behind. I initially thought that might be due to poor cell reception at my house delaying data reporting, so I got the inverter hard-wired to my Internet router, but the problem persisted. That suggests to me that it's a data processing lag on their server side.

I'm not sure what level of authority I have for my system. After I complained enough about the battery reserve issue, they did give me the password for the SE SetApp used by installers. It can set the reserve if I am in wifi range of the inverter (as well as giving me access to many settings that are unsafe to change). I would like to be able to set the reserve while I'm away from home, and without having to go out in the rain, etc.

Comment

• oregon_phil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

oregon_phil

Thanks for the advice on what to ask my installer when they come back. I have not been super happy with the consumer SE app. For example, I cannot use it to set the battery reserve. My installer said they put in a feature request to SE for that, but I'm not holding my breath. I've also noticed that although it appears to show the realtime production numbers correctly, their graphs are sometimes hours behind. I initially thought that might be due to poor cell reception at my house delaying data reporting, so I got the inverter hard-wired to my Internet router, but the problem persisted. That suggests to me that it's a data processing lag on their server side.

I'm not sure what level of authority I have for my system. After I complained enough about the battery reserve issue, they did give me the password for the SE SetApp used by installers. It can set the reserve if I am in wifi range of the inverter (as well as giving me access to many settings that are unsafe to change). I would like to be able to set the reserve while I'm away from home, and without having to go out in the rain, etc.
          It sounds like your installer gave you installer level access since you can set unsafe settings. But maybe the installer didn't set everything up properly or set up SE accounts for you. I don't know, I don't own SE equipment.

Lagging data: For apps that use the cloud, users have to be comfortable with lack of data control. Data can be available immediately, sometimes, lagging, corrupted, wiped clean historically, or never if the company goes bankrupt. For me, cloud based apps are OK for occasionally checking something, but not OK for system management. But usable cloud based apps make data appear so seamless and functional.

Changing settings remotely: MySolarEdge App is supposed to be able to set battery reserve remotely. SolarEdge website, then search MySolarEdge, then view a video "Stay on longer in an outage with Backup Reserve".

Comment

• Srrndhound
            • Sep 2022

oregon_philI have not been super happy with the consumer SE app. For example, I cannot use it to set the battery reserve. My installer said they put in a feature request to SE for that, but I'm not holding my breath.
            The feature is already present in the mySolarEdge app. I could see it by clicking on the battery in the dashboard, but it was stuck at 10%. I called my installer's admin office and they were able to change "monitoring role and permission" from Dashboard (most basic) to Dashboard and Layout which adds access to the panels, then to Full Access which allows Battery Reserve to be adjusted. It's a very simple task for the admin to make that change for you.

If your admin claims ignorance on the process, it is detailed in the document: "SolarEdge Application Note – Site Administration in the Monitoring Portal"
            Last edited by Srrndhound; 09-26-2022, 12:14 AM.
            SolarEdge 12.3kWp grid-tie, 19.4kWh, SW Idaho

Comment

• akirmse
              • Jun 2022

It took several months, but one day the battery controls showed up in the app, so I suppose they finally set me to "Full Access".

Comment

• Bob Moffit
                • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134
                My solar edge makes the same sound as you posted right around sundown as it transitions to sleep mode. lasts maybe 2 mins. Yours do it all night?
                We also have a Solar Edge BUI and it clicks a few times as the sun comes up and again when the light fades. I assume it is the relay pulling in/releasing. It sounds normal - since it happens on sun-up and sun-down. Probably about 10-20 clicks total during the time period. I think the original question was determined to be a bad fan, but I wanted to post this in case someone else was concerned about the clicking noise on their Solar Edge BUI.

Comment

Working...