Clicking sound from SolarEdge AC disconnect when it's hot outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking sound from SolarEdge AC disconnect when it's hot outside

When it's over about 85 degrees F outside, our newly-installed SolarEdge AC disconnect box makes a clicking sound every 2-3 seconds or so. It's pretty loud, and since the box is installed outside of some bedroom windows, it's difficult to sleep on hot evenings. Our installer has so far indicated it's "normal" without saying what the sound is. To me it sounds like a relay switching. It's coming from the right side of the box. There is also a quiet fan that turns on that doesn't bother me.

Outside of the box: https://photos.app.goo.gl/APTghdYf1V6MoNti7
    Inside of the box: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXykCs6C1Njw2Qgg8
    Short video and audio containing the clicking sound: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZW9Q63gPYCVxJY6A

Does anyone know what this is and what can be done about it?

Thanks!
    ---Andrew

I quit doing SolarEdge stuff years ago, but that sounds like a relay is trying to engage and immediately clicks back off. Don't worry, it won't last long - the relay will die in a few days at that cycle rate.
    Are you saying this happens at night? Definitely call Solar Edge tech support and get some help.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

akirmse , that is a SolarEdge backup interface which is way mor than an AC disconnect. I don't know anything about it, but you might get more thoughts on it if you posted what equipment you own, model numbers, and how it's wired up.

Comment

We have 8kW of panels (producing ~6kW max) connected to a SolarEdge inverter, model SE7600H-US, which is connected to this backup interface, part number BI-EUSGN-02. We also have a 16kWh LG RESU battery connected to the inverter. The backup interface is behind a new main panel we had installed, which connects to utility power.

Comment

My solar edge makes the same sound as you posted right around sundown as it transitions to sleep mode. lasts maybe 2 mins. Yours do it all night?

Comment

No, not all night, but continuously when it's hot. We recently had a 102 degree day, and it kept clicking until after dark.

Comment

Originally posted by akirmse View Post
              No, not all night, but continuously when it's hot. We recently had a 102 degree day, and it kept clicking until after dark.
              Okay, one solution would be earplugs if you want to go to bed before it gets dark.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Yes, of course, but I also don't like hearing a loud clicking sound for hours during the afternoon inside my house, and I am concerned about the relay burning out after switching thousands of times per day (if that's what it is).

Does anyone have any insight into the actual problem? I have opened a SolarEdge support ticket also.

Comment

Does anyone have any insight into the actual problem?......
                  No, we just have Mike 134 whose inverter only does that for a few minutes. Refer to that as a benchmark with your SolarEdge support ticket

Comment

Yes, of course, but I also don't like hearing a loud clicking sound for hours during the afternoon inside my house, and I am concerned about the relay burning out after switching thousands of times per day (if that's what it is).

Does anyone have any insight into the actual problem? I have opened a SolarEdge support ticket also.
                    Have you forced grid shutdown to see if the system functions as designed?

Comment

I haven't. So disconnect from the grid while the clicking is happening, and see if the house loses power?

Comment

I haven't. So disconnect from the grid while the clicking is happening, and see if the house loses power?
                        Disconnect anytime and see if it is functioning as it is supposed to. That will give the installer more input on your trouble ticket that might help them diagnose the problem. It would also escalate the issue from a noise issue to a much more serious issue of failure to function as designed. If the house does not lose power then try it when it is clicking. The more data about functionality you can give them, the easier it may be for them to understand the problem.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 07-01-2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Good data is always better. Also, the backup interface has two fans. One fan is buried internally between the auto transformer and transfer switch (top middle underneath all protective shielding); the other fan is lower right to help cool electronics. To the OP, is the lower right fan all the time or does it cycle on and off? SolarEdge already has a "How to replace the fan on the Backup interface" video out so that fan must fail quite often. It looks like a cheap electronics fan.

It would be nice to have a picture of the inverter relative to other pieces of hardware & a picture of battery status indicator lights & breaker positions would be helpful too.

Does the solaredge app acknowledge all pieces of equipment are present?

Something else that bugs me but isn't functionally incorrect. Why are the 10 feet of CT leads coiled up inside the backup interface box when the energy meter and CT location are within 6" of each other?

Comment

oregon_phil
                            Battery status lights: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EX85Zh3U19WdTn4RA (I have seen the charging and discharging lights go on, and they seem correct to me)
                            Battery breaker positions: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XtQb9DHbyEzdBK5A9
                            Overall view including inverter: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoqRnYHZ5MCVgVV57

The Solaredge app shows the battery percentage correctly, but the battery subpage always gives an error, and the system diagram shows only the inverter and the panels. I have a separate question in about that but I don't think it's related to the clicking noise. (It's annoying because I can't set the battery reserve through the app -- I can do that via their SetApp but I have to be physically next to the inverter).

As for the fan, I think you've guessed correctly! Now that I know where to look, I peeked under the back bottom right corner, and I can see the fan there move a few degrees, make the clicking sound, and then stop. I guess it could be mechanically catching on something, or it or the controller could just be defective. This system is very new and I haven't yet been brave enough to shut it down and take it apart. I will of course pass this info on to my installer and SolarEdge, but in the meantime, any suggestions about what if anything I should do (e.g. replace the fan myself)?

Comment

don't replace the fan yourself. it is under warranty and should be the installers responsibility.

Search for this SolarEdge video on youtube "Internal Fan Replacement in the Backup Interface" and tell your installer to watch it and order the part. take a video of the fan moving, stopping, clicking and send it to your installer.

Good luck!
                              Last edited by oregon_phil; 07-02-2022, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X