Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hsnoil
    • May 2022

microinverters vs optimizers in real world use questions

From what I see there is a big argument of what is better between optimizer and micro inverters. But I'm having a hard to finding some info or maybe putting the info properly together?

From my understanding, microinverters have a minimum of 16v to operate, but they won't invert until 22v

For optimizers, minimum is 5v, but you need 350v to turn on the inverter? So say you have 35 panels. does that mean that it won't invert until the average is 10v?

What would happen if most of your panels are fully covered in snow with 10 partly covered producing 30v each. Would that mean it won't run?

I am guessing if you have enough panels, the optimizers would start first and end production last in beginning and end of the day?
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Only had my system up and running week, located northern Illinois and at 7:15 in the morning 100% sun last Saturday I was making 1000watts (18 panels 7.2KW). At 5:30 Pm was back down to 1000Watts. As the light dimmed it went down to under 200watts. No idea what voltage was. Solar Edge system with optimizers. As I'm typing this it's 7:24PM and I'm still making 110 watts of power, sundown is 8:03

Comment

• hsnoil
      • May 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134
      Only had my system up and running week, located northern Illinois and at 7:15 in the morning 100% sun last Saturday I was making 1000watts (18 panels 7.2KW). At 5:30 Pm was back down to 1000Watts. As the light dimmed it went down to under 200watts. No idea what voltage was. Solar Edge system with optimizers. As I'm typing this it's 7:24PM and I'm still making 110 watts of power, sundown is 8:03
      What is the minimum watts you have seen?

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

I have a system of twenty 345 Watt panels using Enphase micros whose maximum output is 290 Watts. My array orientation is SSE and I saw system output at100 Watts at 6AM and finishing at 100 Watts at about 7PM. The peak output was 5700 Watts at Noon. Because they are micros, I do not have measurements for DC voltage or current.
        Last edited by Ampster; 05-15-2022, 11:57 AM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• peakbagger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2010

The problem is there is no economic incentive in keeping track of real world performance between the micros and optimizers. No manufacturer is going to admit that they are selling buggy products, they just come out with a new model and hope the price attracts enough installers to blend over the past problems..

Comment

• solar pete
            Administrator
            • May 2014

Originally posted by peakbagger
            The problem is there is no economic incentive in keeping track of real world performance between the micros and optimizers. No manufacturer is going to admit that they are selling buggy products, they just come out with a new model and hope the price attracts enough installers to blend over the past problems..
            Aint that the truth, well said sir,

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by hsnoil
              From my understanding, microinverters have a minimum of 16v to operate, but they won't invert until 22v

For optimizers, minimum is 5v, but you need 350v to turn on the inverter? So say you have 35 panels. does that mean that it won't invert until the average is 10v?

What would happen if most of your panels are fully covered in snow with 10 partly covered producing 30v each. Would that mean it won't run?
              You are asking the wrong questions here. Those are specific questions about specific hardware. You can get microinverters that operate to lower voltages and you can find optimizers that require higher voltages.

Solar panels tend to put out the same voltage no matter what; the actual voltage depends on temperature, not amount of light. (At least down to very low light levels; below a certain insolation voltage falls off rapidly.) Thus having a low startup voltage doesn't really matter in terms of production, as long as the panel can maintain its max power output within the MPPT (not the startup) voltage range.

Of course the CURRENT changes when light level changes, which is why in partial shading conditions optimizers/microinverters work a bit better.

If all the panels have the same snow coverage then it doesn't much matter whether you have optimizers, microinverters or plain old string inverters. If some panels clear before others you will see a moderate advantage in optimizers/microinverters over bare string inverters.

Comment

• hsnoil
                • May 2022

Originally posted by Ampster
                I have a system of twenty 345 Watt panels using Enphase micros whose maximum output is 290 Watts. My array orientation is SSE and I saw system output at100 Watts at 6AM and finishing at 100 Watts at about 7PM. The peak output was 5700 Watts at Noon. Because they are micros, I do not have measurements for DC voltage or current.
                Was 100 watts the minimum you've seen? What about at per panel level?

I get that, but I was hoping that people would have noticed or tracked these things. I get that every install is different so there would be variations, but trends would be noticed if people pay attention.

Originally posted by jflorey2
                You are asking the wrong questions here. Those are specific questions about specific hardware. You can get microinverters that operate to lower voltages and you can find optimizers that require higher voltages.

Solar panels tend to put out the same voltage no matter what; the actual voltage depends on temperature, not amount of light. (At least down to very low light levels; below a certain insolation voltage falls off rapidly.) Thus having a low startup voltage doesn't really matter in terms of production, as long as the panel can maintain its max power output within the MPPT (not the startup) voltage range.

Of course the CURRENT changes when light level changes, which is why in partial shading conditions optimizers/microinverters work a bit better.

If all the panels have the same snow coverage then it doesn't much matter whether you have optimizers, microinverters or plain old string inverters. If some panels clear before others you will see a moderate advantage in optimizers/microinverters over bare string inverters.
                I get the difference between the string and optimizer/microinverter, but I am more interested difference between optimizer and microinverters in the case of low light, or partly snow.

I guess if we go by which vendors, then Enphase vs SolarEdge I guess?

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I have seen as little as 3 Watts from an IQ7 micro. I also have a SolarEdge system but it is remote and I do not pay much attention to that detail, I just look at the bill to make sure it is functioning. . It is a toss up for me, since I have have had both Enphase and SolarEdge systems. My current system is a DIY system and I am going to incrementally add capacity on several orientations and that is much easier to do for me with micros. In my current system I have several buildings and some used panels so matching strings is not an issue and running a few micros into a subpanel is easier than a long run of DC. Clearly string inverters scale up more economically which is why any large system is more likely to be a string inverter.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Well, the term "optimizers" is not quite correct for Solaredge, since they do more than just optimize power output - they also provide a regulated 400 volts to the inverter. Tigo optimizers, on the other hand, are more of a pure optimizer that just ensure maximum power in a string based system.

An additional complicating factor is that both Solaredge and Enphase make a lot of different products. The Solaredge P370 can run its MPPT tracker starting at 8 volts; the P505 has to get to 12 volts. Compare that to the IQ6-60 which starts up at 27 volts and the IQ8H-240-72 which starts up at 38 volts.

That means that Solaredge wins, right? Not really. As mentioned earlier, open circuit voltage rises quickly to its nominal value when even a fraction of normal sunlight is hitting the panel. That's why you will see close to Voc coming out of the panel whenever its outside even if it is facing away from the sun; the ambient light is enough to get the voltage up there. It is not enough to get any power out of the panel, though, and you might see a few watts max unless the panel is in full sun.

That means that there might be a few watts difference at very low illumination levels, but as soon as the panel is capable of generating any power at all, both systems will be able to generate power at similar levels.

At very low light levels. things like tare loss (how much power the inverter takes to operate itself) and minimum MPPT duty cycle (how low the MPPT converter can operate) are far more important, and are not often spec'd. Tare loss on the Enphase is a minimum of .06 watts at very low light levels, for example, but that is not spec'd for the Solaredge. However, we are talking scenarios where your whole array is generating 10-20 watts before those factors get very important.

As a final comment I would not trust auto-reported values at low power levels unless those measurements were backed up by an actual meter measurement, which is fairly easy to do with a clamp-on meter for both systems.

Personally I have had good luck with both straight string systems and Enphase systems. But with a well installed system, you're just not going to see that much performance difference between Enphase and Solaredge when it comes to energy produced over the course of a year.

Comment

• brycenesbitt
                      • Nov 2019

There's some hope, if you trust https://pvoutput.org/ data, that real world data
                      not controlled by the companies could be compared. It would be hard though, as lots of variables exist.

Comment

• foggysail
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2012

I get that, but I was hoping that people would have noticed or tracked these things. I get that every install is different so there would be variations, but trends would be noticed if people pay attention.

I get the difference between the string and optimizer/microinverter, but I am more interested difference between optimizer and microinverters in the case of low light, or partly snow.

There is a consideration IF you go with optimizers that could be important to you. Optimizers output DC voltages that by code require the wiring to be in metal raceways, metal conduit or metal enclosed wire (MC). Micro's output AC and allow use of a simpler wiring such as using Romex inside. Not sure outside wiring, it may require SE cable to the disconnect but that is easier to install than metal conduit.

Comment

• foo1bar
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by foggysail
                          Not sure outside wiring, it may require SE cable to the disconnect but that is easier to install than metal conduit.
                          SE cable may be easier than conduit, but conduit isn't that difficult to install. I installed a number of pieces of EMT for my installation. Sure I had at least one that I bent wrong and I had to re-do that 10' piece (and used sections from the screwed up one for other purposes) The tool to bend 3/4 EMT conduit isn't that expensive, and while a beginner may not be able to get as pretty of results (ex. 3 offsets all perfectly matched, all offset to within 1/16" of what they should be), a beginner can make simple bends and can get pre-bent parts like offsets that it will work well.

Comment

• foggysail
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2012

I have bent enough of that stuff to not look forward to bending, cutting, fishing if there are ways to avoid it. And yes , I still have the tools. My business partner and I did commercial electrical work long enough for me to not look for more of it

Comment

• heimdm
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2019

WIth SE you are at 415v vs. Enphase 240v. Depending on the lengths of wire you are running, dividing by 415 v. 240 can make a significant difference on wire size required.

Comment

Working...