Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

It could even make a difference in the amount of conduit to fabricate, or not. It all depends on where you are standing. I have done both and those are the decisions that will drive the final conclusion, not whether one is better than another.9
    Last edited by Ampster; 05-19-2022, 11:48 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
      It could even make a difference in the amount of conduit to fabricate, or not. It all depends on where you are standing. I have done both and those are the decisions that will drive the final conclusion, not whether one is better than another.9
      It is sad that a lot of decisions are made based on finances and not quality. But I guess that is the age we live in.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

It is sad that a lot of decisions are made based on finances and not quality. But I guess that is the age we live in.
        I realize this is about wire gage, materials and voltage, but in a more general sense, quality and decision making, like most everything else, has a price. That price is not always calculated in financial terms.

For example, what's the tradeoff between financial and physical security ? Pay your money, take your choice and make it your best shot by being informed.

Taking the time and making the effort to be informed enough to know the costs and tradeoffs, and so have the information and ability to make intelligent choices is usually the rub.

Comment

• foggysail
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2012

It is easy to hypothesize how an optimizer is better than micro because smaller wire can be used until you are on a roof trying to measure the length and EMT bends, LB’s needed. Next cut the piece parts, installing the stuf and then snake wire through it just to save a few bucks using a heavier gage romex and pull it through an attic, Do that and come back and brag how you saved a couple of bucks on wire, Don't bother calculating the time lost plus the added cost for tubing.

EDIT: Optimizers do work! My above merely showed my dislike for the work involved using conduit! JPM’s above post said the same in fewer words—- Just gave JPM a ‘’like!’’
          Last edited by foggysail; 05-22-2022, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by foggysail
            It is easy to hypothesize how an optimizer is better than micro because smaller wire can be used until you are on a roof trying to measure the length and EMT bends, LB’s needed. Next cut the piece parts, installing the stuf and then snake wire through it just to save a few bucks using a heavier gage romex and pull it through an attic, Do that and come back and brag how you saved a couple of bucks on wire, Don't bother calculating the time lost plus the added cost for tubing.
            An example of how what I wrote in the last sentence of my immediately prior post works in practice.

Comment

• warx
              • Jan 2022

I have 21 Q-Cell 350W panels on a 7.3kW SolarEdge SE7600 and 3 same panels on Enphase micros. I have seen a max 6.8kW from the SolarEdge (323W per panel) and 640W from the micros (213W). As far as daily totals I have seen 49.5kWh (2350W per panel per day) and 4.6kWh (1530W per panel per day) but the the 3 miss some morning sun but get better angle later in the day. Minimums - both report as low as 10W.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Which model of micro? What is its max output spec? My IQ7s max at 290 Watts.

Comment

• warx
                  • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Ampster
                  Which model of micro? What is its max output spec? My IQ7s max at 290 Watts.
                  IQ 7XS. I think these are the specs:

DC input range 25-79.5V
                  Max input short circuit current 10A.
                  Max input continuous current 6.5 A
                  AC output current 1.51/1.31 A
                  Ac output frequency 60HZ
                  AC output power 315VA

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by warx

IQ 7XS. I think these are the specs:......
                    AC output power 315VA[/FONT]
                    A lot could depend on orientation and tilt. I am at 38 degrees North and have a SSE orientation with a 4/12 [pitch roof and around noon I see an average of 250 per micro. My panels are 345 Watts. I can instantaneously see micro output but have not figured out how to look at an individual micro over time. Hope that helps

Comment

• hsnoil
                      • May 2022

I have 21 Q-Cell 350W panels on a 7.3kW SolarEdge SE7600 and 3 same panels on Enphase micros. I have seen a max 6.8kW from the SolarEdge (323W per panel) and 640W from the micros (213W). As far as daily totals I have seen 49.5kWh (2350W per panel per day) and 4.6kWh (1530W per panel per day) but the the 3 miss some morning sun but get better angle later in the day. Minimums - both report as low as 10W.
                      Wait, so you are saying the SolarEdge get 820w more per day per panel? Or are those 3 on micros because they have more shading/facing different direction?

Also, 10w was the lowest you have seen on them? Do you have snow in your area? if so, how do they work when partly covered?

Comment

• warx
                        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by hsnoil
                        Wait, so you are saying the SolarEdge get 820w more per day per panel? Or are those 3 on micros because they have more shading/facing different direction?
                        Angle is slightly higher but same orientation. They miss early morning sun (see pics). I fabricated an aluminum awning to protect our solar equipment from the elements (mainly the sun) so it seemed logical to use three more panels rather than some passive sheet material.

Originally posted by hsnoil
                        Also, 10w was the lowest you have seen on them? Do you have snow in your area? if so, how do they work when partly covered?
                        I thought the OP was asking at what point these panels create any sort of power at all. So at the beginning and end of days the lowest number I see (besides zero!) is about 10W.

EDIT: can't upload pics right now - the upload popup is giving me a 413 error despite resizing to 200kb)
                        Last edited by warx; 05-31-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Mike 134
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2022

Today collectively 18 -405W panels lowest value I saw with optimizers was 10.7 watts. So less than 1 watt/panel starts up my inverter.
                          Time Production Meter P (W)
                          5/31/2022 5:26 0
                          5/31/2022 5:31 0
                          5/31/2022 5:36 10.692
                          5/31/2022 5:41 58.752
                          5/31/2022 5:46 85.5691
                          5/31/2022 5:51 162.275
                          5/31/2022 5:56 194.067
                          5/31/2022 6:01 334.774
                          5/31/2022 6:06 427.123
                          5/31/2022 6:11 347.144
                          5/31/2022 6:16 423.341
                          5/31/2022 6:21 560.271
                          5/31/2022 6:26 688.084
                          5/31/2022 6:31 568.57
                          5/31/2022 6:36 653.538
                          5/31/2022 6:41 648.125
                          5/31/2022 6:46 702.85
                          5/31/2022 6:51 846.714

Comment

• warx
                            • Jan 2022

My 10W minimums where for the complete array (21 x 350w). I am actually impressed both these systems can contribute as low energy as that.

Comment

• warx
                              • Jan 2022

20220530_195549.jpg
                              20220530_195637.jpg

Comment

• hsnoil
                                • May 2022

Angle is slightly higher but same orientation. They miss early morning sun (see pics). I fabricated an aluminum awning to protect our solar equipment from the elements (mainly the sun) so it seemed logical to use three more panels rather than some passive sheet material.

I thought the OP was asking at what point these panels create any sort of power at all. So at the beginning and end of days the lowest number I see (besides zero!) is about 10W.

EDIT: can't upload pics right now - the upload popup is giving me a 413 error despite resizing to 200kb)
                                I see, looking at the pictures the inverters are located at a lower position so are more shaded, hence the large discrepancy in output per panel?

As for lowest, is this based on realtime or X minute delay?

Comment

Working...