• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LeeLewis
    Trying to respond / edit my previous comment
    but the site won't let me, telling me the message is unapproved.
    Yes they put that in to avoid spam I think. If you wait a day you will be able to edit
    at least once. Perhaps you only need to wait 15 min, but do not do it repeatedly.

Another trick is cut and paste. I write anything elaborate off line, then paste
    it in. They may refuse, but type a couple letters first and THEN paste it in.
    Bruce Roe

Comment

• LeeLewis
      • Feb 2018

Can anyone offer suggestions on what I need to accomplish what I'm after?
      It seems to end up being a hybrid system but I only want something manual, where I could use the solar in some longer term situation.

It doesn't have to be AC coupled to important circuits, I can simply connect the output to a bunch of plugs, I'm fine with that.
      It's not an inverter since I already have AC coming out of the solar micro inverters so is it a combiner?

The problem is, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of hardware.
      It sounds like I just need some kind of battery based transfer switch that would cut the power from the grid side panels into my own panel so it could continue to run.
      Last edited by LeeLewis; 03-17-2022, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• sabersix
        • Mar 2015

You may want to look at the Sunny Island solution for ideas. This is not manual and not cheap, but seems to do what you are wanting.

My system consists of a 10.7kw array using two Sunny Boy Grid Tied inverters. Normally, we just pump power to the grid through our net metering with the utility. Yesterday, a big storm knocked out almost 500,000 customers in the south eastern Michigan area, including my home. Been without power for 30 hours now. My
        5.775 kW System: 21 SolarWorld SW275 x 1 SMA 5000

Comment

• solardreamer
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Can anyone offer suggestions on what I need to accomplish what I'm after?
          It seems to end up being a hybrid system but I only want something manual, where I could use the solar in some longer term situation.

It doesn't have to be AC coupled to important circuits, I can simply connect the output to a bunch of plugs, I'm fine with that.
          It's not an inverter since I already have AC coming out of the solar micro inverters so is it a combiner?

The problem is, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in terms of hardware.
          It sounds like I just need some kind of battery based transfer switch that would cut the power from the grid side panels into my own panel so it could continue to run.
          Many AC coupling possibilities based on your technical knowledge, comfort level for DIY and budget.

If you want no DIY then go for a fully integrated home battery system like a Tesla Powerwall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96IEjOqdyDE).

If you are comfortable with moderate DIY and just want a package of pre-selected compatible components then check out kit providers like AltE Store (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7rJV0DMok)

If you want to hand select components then start with a hybrid inverter from companies like Schneider (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syYN-nmm8Q) or Outback (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYESnkKF2lM)

If you are comfortable with deep DIY work then check out something like the OzInverter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s9B3RTF1QA).

For more usual ideas you can check out these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGRsrEOs9I, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLnnu9N7xA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-4NkE6lBw).

Comment

• LeeLewis
            • Feb 2018

I'm comfortable with 100% DIY and while I always look at moderate cost, I don't skimp on very cheap stuff once I know what I'm looking for.
            Thank you for the many leads. These will help me to better understand the last part of all this.
            So very appreciated.

Comment

• nomadh
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

Why is it so hard for people to understand that there really isn't any Hardware available that allows a large solar pv system to work if the grid is down. I know that SMA allows a small amount using their special inverter hardware but I feel it will be a long time before anyone builds UL rated hardware that will allow complete power generation from a solar pv system when the grid is down.
              I think solar edge just did it recently with their new ver 8 ? It's brand new hopefully someone knows more details.

Comment

• nomadh
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

Thank you very much for so much input.
                First, the system is installed on a canopy, not the roof so I have relatively easy access to the inverters and all of the wiring.
                Ok, from now on, I'll call it 'simulate', not 'fake' .
                I have to re-read everything shared because there's a lot of info but there is something I should add which I think is important.

A manual transfer method is fine with me. Once I fix the system, I'm perfectly fine with using it as a grid tied system. I can use the extra generated power to charge some additional battery banks for my UPS's for example. I could upgrade those UPS batteries to more modern, long lasting, all kinds of things which are UL rated and legal.

What I'm really wanting to do and I know realize I didn't clarify is to look at this as a rare event. What if something really bad happens and the grid goes down for a month.
                I'm looking at my solar system as a potentially usage asset in some situation where the grid is down for a long period of time. I'm not really thinking off-grid or hybrid, I'm thinking in some big emergency where everything goes to hell, if I could use this system, it could have substantial value.

So basically, I just want to have a plan, have the hardware ready for such an event. I'm not a preper but there's so much going on in the world that things could change and I'd like to feel I did what I could to prepare as I'm sure many wonder about these days. I feel stupid having such a big system that I know I could not even use if infrastructure went down for a while.

Even if I don't hook it all up right now, just having it ready and knowing how it will work is what I'm looking for.
                For short term grid outages like hours to days which has already happened, my generator is perfect but for something longer term, where maybe even gas gets cut off, I'd like to have my 10KW system as a usable asset.

I hope this better explains what I'm wanting to achieve.
                I'm right there with you buddy. I bought my system about 5 years ago and really liked the microinverter per panel concept but also very irked by the concept of having a dead system during an emergency WHEN I NEED IT MOST! At that time sma had a brand new emergency power feature. It let's you use 15 amps of your system. I think a later ver allows 20 now. It's enough to run a fridge or small ac plus charge doodads. 1500 wats from my 5k system is low but it's enough. At the time I considered two 4k inverters but it's all a cost compromise. It's been working well as a grid tied system and so far haven't needed the manually switched standby power but testing showed it worked well. The new per panel system is from solar edge iirc. If I were in the market still it would be on my short list.
                perhaps as a cost saving you switch over and convert a subsection your panels. Maybe 4 or 8 of them. Gives you some emergency power now and some component redundancy as it becomes 2 systems .
                looking for details I found this
                You can use a grid-tie inverter off-grid. All you need a reference power source like a diesel generator and ZED Advance

Edit. It wasnt solaredge this what i was looking for. This is what I was looking for
                https://www.acsolarwarehouse.com/new...r%20off%2Dgrid.
                Last edited by nomadh; 03-24-2022, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nomadh

I think solar edge just did it recently with their new ver 8 ? It's brand new hopefully someone knows more details.
                  I now understand that the IQ8 is available in the US but like all new hardware it has to yet be proven that it does what they say it does. Only time and money will tell.

Comment

• nomadh
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

I now understand that the IQ8 is available in the US but like all new hardware it has to yet be proven that it does what they say it does. Only time and money will tell.
                    Yes. And I said solaredge but it's enphase with the iq8. Saw a great demo video. Unless completely faked I wonder if this will actually become game changer. Certainly a great feature in any place with regular power outages.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nomadh

Yes. And I said solaredge but it's enphase with the iq8. Saw a great demo video. Unless completely faked I wonder if this will actually become game changer. Certainly a great feature in any place with regular power outages.
                      I agree that type of solar hardware will make some people jump at an installation. But again I can use my 12kw generator and backfeed my house for a long time with minimal costs and solar as well as the IQ8 does not make financial sense for me.

Comment

Working...