Advice on PV layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on PV layout

Looking to add some panels to my current set up which is 2 strings of 3 200W panels going into a Tristar 60A MPPT CC.

Morningstar's string calculator suggests the below.

Is there an advantage to maximising voltage? I'm not sure but I feel like I set it up this way to get close to the max voltage I can put into the CC but I don't remember why.

Will the 1600W array at 43.44V be better than the current 1200W at 130V?

What are your thoughts on oversizing into the blue range of wattage? Range for blue is 5-30% higher than max nominal power. Morningstar say this might reduce controller life but there is no risk of damage.

Would it make sense to go up to 2000W?

Screenshot from 2021-07-19 18-35-26.png
    Attached Files
    Last edited by choob; 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM.

While MPPT controllers do save you a lot on wire and wire losses by going to higher voltages, they are bit more efficient when the array voltage is no higher than necessary above the battery voltage. PV panels are cheap now - load up your charge controller for all its worth I say. More power, more power....
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I hear you! Panels are 35% the price I paid when I set up the system, however for ease of installation I think I'll go up to 1800W, 2000W would require a lot more work! 1800W would just entail plugging in another string to the bus bars.

Comment

Working...
      X