X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampster
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Someone should can Ampster. He is dangerous continuously giving bad advice. If this were a professional forum would have been booted the day he showed up.
    I have repeatedly offered to correct any incorrect information that I have posted. I have heard nothing from you about advice that is incorrect.
    Don't worry, I spend more time on other forums talking about the LFP cells from China and the latest Tesla battery chemistry. There is not much interest in those topics here.

Last edited by Ampster; 09-17-2020, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bob-n
    replied
    In my opinion, Ampster does give good advice. He may not be perfect. But I think he is a valuable contributor to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Sunking
    replied
    Someone should can Ampster. He is dangerous continuously giving bad advice. If this were a professional forum would have been booted the day he showed up.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    Did receive HoA approval for the solar structure today. Waiting for a quote to level the area, as the backyard has a 6-8 degree slope.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Originally posted by heimdm View Post
    The wonderful state of Indiana.
    See Indiana bill HB 1331 and check progress.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    The wonderful state of Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. ......
    To that point what state are you located in? Different states have different regulations with respect to what influence an HOA can have over a solar installation.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. So trying to do a covered patio that just happens to hold solar panels. Per HoA, solar has to be integrated into a structure.
    What kind of structure ? One in which the ability to mount an array is an afterthought ? An existing structure ?

Consider the effects on array size/output per installed STC kW as f(tilt angle, array azimuth). In their well meaning but solar ignorant thinking, your HOA may be thinking a (close to) horizontal array orientation.

Suit yourself, but for several reasons, such a mostly horizontal orientation is probably not a good one for most residential applications, particularly as latitudes go up and winter conditions bring less sun/more snow.

PV can work in such climates, but some unfortunate and PITA inducing considerations are usually necessary that can effect cost effectiveness and practicality.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. So trying to do a covered patio that just happens to hold solar panels. Per HoA, solar has to be integrated into a structure.

Leave a comment:

• bcroe
    replied
    Based on a coverage area of 75 x 27, with just the structure and integrated racking, sides, inverters, panels would be extra. the cost was over $100,000. To say the least, that is definitely not in the running for this project.
    I am trying to figure out if you are trying to build a big Pergola that can support
    some solar panels, or if you are trying to build a 35KW ground mount solar system
    that can be used as a Pergola. If the latter, numbers like $100K are entirely normal.
    Ground mounts cost more, I spend more on substantial mounting than on panels.
    However you seem to forfeit some of the potential advantages of a ground mount
    (such as best angle, variable tilt, snow rejection) which is OK for the former.
    Bruce Roe

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    Today I received a preliminary estimate from Florian Solar. Based on a coverage area of 75 x 27, with just the structure and integrated racking, sides, inverters, panels would be extra. the cost was over $100,000. To say the least, that is definitely not in the running for this project.
    I believe you could do a lot better if the idea of a pergola was scrapped in favor of a more simple ground mount. Lots of options available. See some of Bruce Roe's stuff. While I don't agree with all of his thinking, he's the go to guy around here for ground mounted PV in cold/snow. You could do a lot worse than look/see/learn what he's got to share.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    Today I received a preliminary estimate from Florian Solar. Based on a coverage area of 75 x 27, with just the structure and integrated racking, sides, inverters, panels would be extra. the cost was over $100,000. To say the least, that is definitely not in the running for this project.

Leave a comment:

• heimdm
    replied
    supportstructure01.jpg
    For a steel structure, that is about 80ft x 26ft, the price (minus installation) is around 42k. So figure 8k, that's 50k - 26%, around 37k. Still have multiple quotes and pricing exercises to go. Just wanted to share as I go through this process. This design features 5 degree angle, but ideally that will be close to 10-15 degrees in the end.
    supportstructure01.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by heimdm; 09-03-2020, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ampster
    replied
    I will be interested to see how the value engineering comes out. Taking another look at the size of the pergola the 27 foot span is going to be difficult to do as a clear span with wood, unless you go with Glue Laminated beams, Posts on 13.5 foot centers would allow you to use traditional framing lumber but the aesthetics and preference for more or less posts my be the driver of the main structural element. If you are in California, seismic calculations will also influence costs.
    At any rate keep us informed as your work through the process.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ampster;n419220]
    No doubt you are correct from an engineering standpoint. Seems to me you want to beat the same horse that you did in the thread of @RShackleford. As the OP noted the HOA has already expressed an opinion from a "visual perspective in his post #3.

Seem what you want. But since, among other things, this is a place to express opinions, based on my experience, education and training, one of mine is that wood is not the most fit for purpose material for PV structural support for most applications.

Most of what I write is meant as much for others with similar applications/questions as for an OP and meant as a more sane contrast to a lot of what shows up around here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X