Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Properly wiring AC disconnect help needed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    Some areas, drilling a box is "modifying" and then the box looses it's rating. And you have to use approved hardware, stainless starwasher. I had to use the prefab greenwire crimped into a ring terminal, at $3 each before my inspector was happy. All depends on who you get.
    Oh man.. that's just retarded. Sounds like your inspector is on a power trip.

A prefab ground wire? WTF? What is wrong with people these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Salts View Post

Oh man.. that's just retarded. Sounds like your inspector is on a power trip.

A prefab ground wire? WTF? What is wrong with people these days?
      Inspectors have to find problems or it doesn't appear they are doing their job. On a recent final inspection of some carports we installed at work, the city inspector noticed a tree on the original landscaping plans from 1982 that was missing at the main entrance. The building owner and aerial photo records confirm a tree has not been there for 38 years but they said we either plant a tree or fight to get a variance. We're going to drop a 15-gallon mesquite in there in order to pass inspection and then in about 30-days it will probably get tossed in the dumpster after a truck driver flattens it because of the corner location.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Salts, bcroe, PVAndy, and Mike90250,

Thanks for all the input. Seems like I should call the local Inspector and see what he wants and post the results,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Some areas, drilling a box is "modifying" and then the box looses it's rating. And you have to use approved hardware, stainless starwasher. I had to use the prefab greenwire crimped into a ring terminal, at $3 each before my inspector was happy. All depends on who you get.
          I am glad I live in the Wild West. Never had an issue with an inspector, but these are not so
          fussy. Half the conduit holes I need are not provided with the right size knock out at the
          right location, esp the larger ones, so I just punch the needed hole. I tend to run ground
          wires even when they are not required, think the ground bar was at a big box electrical dept,
          but they get mounted where I need them. Bruce Roe

Comment

bcroe, I live an hour west of Vegas in a small town. Just got off the phone with the local Inspector and he said it was ok to drill a hole in the AC disconnect and use a ground screw and run the green wire into the Service Panel.

Thanks for everyones input.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgtnarc1 View Post
              bcroe, I live an hour west of Vegas in a small town. Just got off the phone with the local Inspector and he said it was ok to drill a hole in the AC disconnect and use a ground screw and run the green wire into the Service Panel.

Thanks for everyones input.
              Needs to be a threaded screw, star lock washer adn nut. remember to sand off paint/ Every now and then one of our electricians uses a self tapping or sheet metal screw and we fail an inspection.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

Got it. Going to HD to get star washer and again thanks.

Comment

Andy,

Got it. Going to HD to get star washer and again thanks.
                  If you have the option, drill your hole through the bottom of the box. This will prevent any chance of moisture from seeping in.

Comment

Ok. Not to sound stupid but do you use 2 star washers, one under the head of the screw to grab the bare copper wire and another one under the nut.

Comment

Ok. Not to sound stupid but do you use 2 star washers, one under the head of the screw to grab the bare copper wire and another one under the nut.
                      A double washer should get you a better connection. I would then use an ohm meter to check to see if the metal case is actually grounded. If you get 0 ohms then you know you have a good connection.

Comment

ok, thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X