Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wattnode with two SolarEdge inverters, com config?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wattnode with two SolarEdge inverters, com config?

Just installed a SolarEdge branded Wattnode monitor but my config setup is not correct and I could use some help to understand how it should be configured.
    There are two inverters. The Slave is connected to the Master via RS485. The master has a revenue meter and before this external meter the portal successfully reported total production.
    One manual tip was to connect the monitor to the second BAG connections on the board and terminate the SMI dip switch in order to maintain a master/slave configuration with an external monitor.
    a.jpg
    In the config menu I seem to only be able to config one meter successfully or there is comm error. When I add the Wattnode as an import/export meter the reporting is not correct: solar production is the total system production value but it is depicted as all consumption and what appears to be the production value from one inverter is also depicted as consumption but from the grid. The CT's are on the two lines energizing the main panel with arrows pointing towards the grid.

Is the problem with calculated meter readings and not being able to config two meters and/or a bad install of the new meter?

I believe you need an RS 485 expansion card. If you join the "SolarEdge Enthusiast" group in Facebook, Brian West went through this and has a post about it.
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

I thought that was the upper arrow in the pic, connecting the second slave inverter.
      Update: that is the expansion card. We were planning ahead for adding an external meter and battery later.
      Last edited by FogHill; 09-14-2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

New problem. Regardless of whether the external modem is connected or not, after all my changes the internal RGM is only reporting on the master production and not the slave production. The meter is set to Site Production but the result is the same when it is set to Inverter Production. What can I do to get the total production back?

Comment

I initially followed the A to B, B to A connection instruction in the manual but then realized my particular meter is a bit unique with B-, A+ So I connected by sign B-, A+, G in that order to RS485-2 (2 because of the master/slave setup using the expansion card).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FogHill View Post
            New problem. Regardless of whether the external modem is connected or not, after all my changes the internal RGM is only reporting on the master production and not the slave production. The meter is set to Si Production but the result is the same when it is set to Inverter Production. What can I do to get the total production back?
            do you only have one RGM inverter? All of them should be RGM as that is set up from the factory.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Yes, just one inverter has an internal meter--it was a mistake on their part initially which is why I did not get an external meter originally. Having just production was enough when I could get consumption from my utility but that changed.

Comment

Consider the image of the meter above. Was this a meter that was once installed inside a Storedge inverter? No lights, no dip switches. Perhaps the default RS485 device setting is 1 rather than 2?

Solution: It is the case that both the single internal RGM and the external meter have fixed ID=1 but it is also true that the single unintended internal RGM is not useful since it cannot report on the output of both inverters (nor is revenue grade data required). The missing inverter output I referenced above was when I configured the master inverter meter which I though was in use but was not. The answer is to disconnect the internal RGM and just configure the external meter as export/import.

Last edited by FogHill; 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM. Reason: Solution

Comment

Well, almost. Consumption is very low and most production is exported but monitoring tells another story.
                  E1F8E0A6-CF17-4953-9C3B-292F0E37610C.jpeg
                  On the master inverter it shows Input is 0 but Export varies between near total production and zero. What could be the cause of this problem?
                  Last edited by FogHill; 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Final update (for now). SE finally got on chat and ultimately decided this meter will not work as I had hoped as an E+I meter. I tried to start with that but...
                    Off to find the right part.

Comment

Success.
                      Installation of the right part went by the book but had to reverse CT’s with the arrows pointing towards the tap and main breakers.
                      C89680C9-CF22-44DB-B1D1-FA66947160BA.jpeg
                      Large consumption is car charging. Small red are before and after work. Broad production on a full sun day with trackers—should have been twice as high but one of two inverters stopped producing after firmware update. This will be my third replacement inverter in 2.75 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X