PV connector compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PV connector compatability

Getting ready to buy 40 JA Solar 385w panels. When reading the PDF it says it uses QC-4 connectors. (JAM72S01-385/PR-Q (1500v) Connector type QC4.10-35. I know that I am going to need some extra connectors for when I need to extend the strings to a combiner box. I cannot find any information about other connectors being compatible. The only thing I find is it says not to mix brands of connectors. "Just because it fits does not make it right".

If I cut off the QC-4 connectors and replace it with the more common MC-4 connectors,I think I would void the panel warranty. So, as not to void the warranty can I open the PV junction box on the panel and just replace the 2 wires and then if the panel had a problem just replace the original wires.

Anyone have any thoughts as where to buy QC-4 connectors or their compatibility with other connectors.
    Last edited by Sgtnarc1; 09-03-2019, 09:17 AM.

Generally, the PV panel warranty requires the original connectors be intact, so don't cut them off.

Or look at other panel brands that use standard connectors if you can't find QC-4 at the usual places
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Sgtnarc1 View Post
      Getting ready to buy 40 JA Solar 385w panels. When reading the PDF it says it uses QC-4 connectors. I know that I am going to need some extra connectors for when I need to extend the strings to a combiner box. I cannot find any information about other connectors being compatible.
      Does the PDF for these panels say "MC4 compatible"?

The PDF I found for JA Solar JAM72S01 365-385/PR says "MC4 compatible(1000V)" on the PDF I see for it.
      So IF you're less than 1000V, you should be OK to use MC4 *IF* that's the model you're using.

Comment

Foo1bar I should have put in the complete listing for the panel. It is JAM72S01-385/PR-Q (1500v) Connector type QC4.10-35. I have will edit the original post.
        Thanks for the replying

Comment

One Google query suggests that QC4 is a brand name and MC4 is a model name. Some pictures look similar.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
            One Google query suggests that QC4 is a brand name and MC4 is a model name. Some pictures look similar.
            QC4 and MC4 are both a brand name and model name.
            H4 is another.
            None of them is a generic term for the connector. Although MC4 is kind of like "Kleenex" being used as a term for facial tissue. (not truly generic, but sometimes used in casual conversation as such)

Comment

Ok, just a little confused. The panel PDF Spec.'s has two type of connectors based on voltage. It reads as, "Connector....MC4 compatible (1000V) QC 4.10-35 (1500V), The panels that I will be getting are rated 1500V. Will it be ok to use the MC4 for the 1500V panel. I have a call into the supplier and they are checking on the compatibility issue.

I always like to get another prospective from this Forum.

Comment

Ok, just a little confused. The panel PDF Spec.'s has two type of connectors based on voltage. It reads as, "Connector....MC4 compatible (1000V) QC 4.10-35 (1500V), The panels that I will be getting are rated 1500V. Will it be ok to use the MC4 for the 1500V panel. I have a call into the supplier and they are checking on the compatibility issue.

I always like to get another prospective from this Forum.
                How I would interpret that is "If you use QC4 connectors, you can use this in a system at up to 1500V. If you use MC4 connectors you can use this in a system at up to 1000V".
                What is your max DC voltage going to be? Is this going to be a string setup?

Comment

Yes, it is a 4 string setup with 2 SMA Sunny Boy 7.7 inverters and each string below 600V.

Comment

Just found a company online that sells the QC4 connectors for $3.95/pair. A little expensive but I won't have any compatibility issues.

Comment

Just found a company online that sells the QC4 connectors for $3.95/pair. A little expensive but I won't have any compatibility issues.
                      The documentation already says they're MC4 compatible when used for up to 1000V.
                      So if you were using MC4, you wouldn't have compatibility issues.

Whatever connector you use, make sure that when you are crimping them on that you're doing it properly - using appropriate tools and getting the secure connection you need.

Comment

After reading a lot of articles on compatibility and different manufacturing processes of different connectors I will get the QC4. Anyhow, which crimpers do you recommend. I know that Rennsteig makes great crimpers and if I was doing this for a living I would pay the extra money.

As I will have about a 10 connectors to crimp, I just want something that will do a good job.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X