Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geekwithoutacause
    • Jan 2019

mount panels on top of a 40 ft container

I have 15 panels, 350 watt each. I own a 40 foot storage container. The long side faces south. Looking to mount the panels on the roof. I will probably do a fixed angle. Should I have someone weld angle iron to the roof and then use angle iron or slotted angle iron to build frame? Anyone done this ? trying to keep it simple.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by geekwithoutacause
    I have 15 panels, 350 watt each. I own a 40 foot storage container. The long side faces south. Looking to mount the panels on the roof. I will probably do a fixed angle. Should I have someone weld angle iron to the roof and then use angle iron or slotted angle iron to build frame? Anyone done this ? trying to keep it simple.
    If you want production in winter, mount them vertically so that snow slides directly off to
    the ground. But arrange to be able to easily tilt them back to an efficient summer angle
    for the non snow seasons. Bruce Roe

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

You'll be hard pressed to get more than 12 mounted on the roof. 12 in a single portrait oriented row = 39+ feet. Two rows landscape oriented 39+ feet. Unless they are 60 cell panels then you can squeeze 14 panels in two landscape rows.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
        • Jan 2019

The panel sizes are 39 x 77 inches.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

The panel sizes are 39 x 77 inches.
          Yep, 72 cell panels. 12 panels probably easiest would be 12 in a single row.

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor

Yep, 72 cell panels. 12 panels probably easiest would be 12 in a single row.
            ok. I have a 2nd container which is 12 ft behind it, parallel, and it also sits a little bit higher up (maybe a foot, or 2). I could mount the rest on there.? Or would the first set block too much light?
            What materials should I use and how many mount points? Anyone done this ?

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

I would not weld to the container. SS Thru bolts with SS & rubber washers outside are likely a better solution.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Or would the first set block too much light?

This depends on a number of factors, among them are how tall the front row is standing (angle) and your latitude. 12 feet away and sitting higher, sounds like you should be safe unless you are in the arctic circle.

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  I would not weld to the container. SS Thru bolts with SS & rubber washers outside are likely a better solution.
                  Ok, I thought of that too but was a bit concerned w leaks. Would have to drill thru the roof part and not the corner/edge parts. The roof isn't very thick. You think that would be sufficient? Or should I frame the inside w 2x4 ? (which I was going to do anyways so I can build shelves and stuff).
                  So that brings me to the next question, what kind of metal should I use for it.....

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor

This depends on a number of factors, among them are how tall the front row is standing (angle) and your latitude. 12 feet away and sitting higher, sounds like you should be safe unless you are in the arctic circle.
                    No, I am in sw Colorado so that shouldn't be an issue. They are 77 inches high.
                    Probably make them adjustable so the snow will slide off in winter, like Bruce Roe said. This winter we had some serious snow here. Would help a lot to not have to clear that as well.

If I am going to use both containers anyways, I might as well spread them out evenly among the 2. Would be easy to expand the panels at some point as well.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Hey Mike,

I am curious as to why you don't recommend welding to the storage containers?

As long as you have a competent welder, I can't think of a downside. Competent is key.........

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by PNW_Steve

Hey Mike,

I am curious as to why you don't recommend welding to the storage containers?

As long as you have a competent welder, I can't think of a downside. Competent is key.........
                        Not everyone has welding skills ? I don't...
                        It's not thick metal on top, unless you weld it to the corners which is very thick.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Welding to the metal skin :
                          Damages existing inner & outer paint, which must be cleaned and repaired (lots of labor)
                          CORTEN steel may not weld well because of it's alloy
                          Any heat treatment will be gone after welding, so it may require reinforcement
                          I'm a great microelectronics solderer, but I can't weld and have seen bad welds fail.

If it was I, I'd liquid nails 2x4's to the inside, drill pilot holes into them, bolt on, with rubber & stainless washers and roof glop over the completed fitting and hope it works
                          Last edited by Mike90250; 06-25-2019, 08:03 PM.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• geekwithoutacause
                            • Jan 2019

Welding to the metal skin :
                            Damages existing inner & outer paint, which must be cleaned and repaired (lots of labor)
                            CORTEN steel may not weld well because of it's alloy
                            Any heat treatment will be gone after welding, so it may require reinforcement
                            I'm a great microelectronics solderer, but I can't weld and have seen bad welds fail.

If it was I, I'd liquid nails 2x4's to the inside, drill pilot holes into them, bolt on, with rubber & stainless washers and roof glop over the completed fitting and hope it works
                            Yeah, that kind of what I was thinking. The 2x4's on the inside will be a frame along the walls and along the roof. I think that should be beefy enough.Probably have 4 supports per panel (2 top , 2 bottom).
                            I will use superstrut for the frames. Do you think I can rely on the solarpanels frame itself and only attach the top and bottom of the panel to the superstrut frame? so basically have 4 legs only ?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Not everyone has welding skills ? I don't...
                              It's not thick metal on top, unless you weld it to the corners which is very thick.
                              I once had a new (recent) graduate M.E. (EIT) designing a set of lifting lugs to be welded to the wall of a pressure vessel. The vessel was a low pressure design and the wall thickness was 7 ga. (~ 0.187" thickness). The engineer did a good design on the lug, using the correct vessel dry weight and also did a thorough and acceptable design on the welds, all fit for purpose with correct weld procedures and PQR's (procedure qualification record) for the material and service requirements. Unfortunately, he neglected what the weight of the lift would do to the vessel wall. The lug would have separated from the vessel wall in any way the rigging could have been done. Fortunately, as happens in any well run engineering outfit of any size, everyone was always checking everyone else's work before it got to a fabricator.

To the OP: Know the design loads on the welds (probably wind loadings) as well as how and in what form those loads will be transferred to what the weldment is attached to.

Example : A seriously bodacious lifting lug attached by serious welding to the roof of a 5,000 lbm vehicle will lift and leave the car behind.

Attach the panels to something more substantial than an or under reinforced roof.

Comment

Working...