No announcement yet.

Newbie question - cracks in solar panel glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago in college we did experiments using optical stress analysis. A brittle lacquer spray would be applied to a test object and they we would stress it. The cracks in the lacquer would line up with the calculated peak stress lines and if I remember correctly the spacing between the cracks were proportional to the stress.I also think it lined up with the dreaded Mohrs circle which was graphical way of avoiding vector analysis of stress when slide rules ruled the world. Luckily my freshmen engineering class was the first one where everyone was required to have calculator and slide rules were banned from use in classes.

Comment

I'm going to ask the obvious. Do you happen to walk on the panels when you clean them?

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
        Years ago in college we did experiments using optical stress analysis. A brittle lacquer spray would be applied to a test object and they we would stress it. The cracks in the lacquer would line up with the calculated peak stress lines and if I remember correctly the spacing between the cracks were proportional to the stress.I also think it lined up with the dreaded Mohrs circle which was graphical way of avoiding vector analysis of stress when slide rules ruled the world. Luckily my freshmen engineering class was the first one where everyone was required to have calculator and slide rules were banned from use in classes.
        Did similar and at the time said "so what ??". The wisdom and elegance of the method dawned on me slowly as I progressed. Eventually, I came to the opinion Mohr's circle was a better teaching tool than using it as a design tool. That was reinforced to me the first time I saw interferometry flicks for some failure analysis I got involved in a couple of years after graduation, and saw the max. displacement/stress for a section did indeed line up At 45 deg. just like a Mohr's circle would show, and the load cells and strain gages would confirm.

Interferometry and is a great analysis tool, but I'm still a fan of understanding Mohr's circle as a way to get the most out of such newer methods.

FWIW, we could use calculators unless the lesson being taught involved how to analyze a situation, or the Prof. was real old school. Generally calculators were allowed for exams, but usually all homework required showing calcs. until grad school. Toughest undergrad exams I had were from a prof who taught a course in in engineering mathematics. His exams were always open book and the answers would be given and be deceptively simple like "pi", "e", 0,1,-1, etc. The student would then need to explain and show w/calcs with why the answer was what it was. Worst answer I recall - because everyone bitched loudly about it - was (e^pi)/10 involving the probability dist. of failures in a production process. Nobody got that one. Big PITA.

Back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by emartin00 View Post
          I'm going to ask the obvious. Do you happen to walk on the panels when you clean them?
          I don't think there is ever a good reason to risk micro or macro cracking a panel by walking on it. just because it does not break that day, does not mean it's OK to do.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

I don't think there is ever a good reason to risk micro or macro cracking a panel by walking on it. just because it does not break that day, does not mean it's OK to do.
            I agree 100%, that's why I was asking the OP if he did. While it may no appear to do damage, it does in the long run.

Comment

Hi All
              I have 2 Jaycar ZM9059 150W 12V Panels, of which one of them has the snail trail cracks, I have asked Jaycar for comment. The one beside it is fine. Has anybody else had this problem. It appears at this stage not to be effecting the performance.

Image2-Panel.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

Those look like scratches. Snail trails are fatter and not usually as straight. But it's not right for sure.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I can assure you the scratches are not on the outside of the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneG View Post
                    Hi All
                    I have 2 Jaycar ZM9059 150W 12V Panels, of which one of them has the snail trail cracks, I have asked Jaycar for comment. The one beside it is fine. Has anybody else had this problem. It appears at this stage not to be effecting the performance.

Image2-Panel.jpg
                    Sure looks to me like some vertical loading was applied, especially if adjacent panels are not exhibiting the same cracking. Maybe some D.F. tried to walk on it. Are the cracks localized about like a footprint might be ? Or, perhaps something impacted like a football ?

I note that a lot/most of the cracks are at 45 deg. to the major axes. If there are more localized cracks, that may indicate induced stresses, perhaps from differential thermal expansion, wind loading or combinations of other external loading(s).

Comment

Impossible to walk on and even if you could I'd expect the cracks to be on the outside. It's too spread across the panel for it to be a kids ball etc and again the cracks are internal. Hoping someone has also come across this problem.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not highly educated on solar panels but looking at Youtube the other day I stumbled upon this one where a guy goes over several different problems that can befall PV panels. I thought the guy did a good job of explaining several things. It might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8XuB0BSVI

Comment

Working...
                        X