Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seano
    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
    I'd series each "like panel" the 2 60's, and so on.

You should get 35v at about 25A, and when you're all said & done, about 14V @ 50A with a good MPPT
    Thanks Mike and sorry to be away for a day. I've been testing, rewirng, moving the van around to do some roof-top sunbaking, (not me, the panels), and writing notes throughout yesterday and this morning of things like Voc, Vmp, Imp, HV (House Voltage), and keeping my eyes and fingertips on the topside of the MPPT controller to monitor its temperature compared to my stable 'control' which is the box of the 1000W inverter. The inverter is always at least 33% hotter than the MPPT controller. Meaning that the MPPT feels around 75% of the temperature the inverter at the most, the sunniest 30.1A Imp times.

Yesterday I ran all three 'sets': 60W x 2 portable, 150W x 2 rear, & 200W x 1 front. in parallel, and did reach 30.1A on the MPPT controller screen at one stage, That was the point when the MPPT controller got the hottest and started to smell just a little tiny bit like a gluten-free bakery, which was pleasant and only very slightly alarming, I popped the fuse for the portable and reduced the Imp reading on the controller back to around 23-25A for the rest of the afternoon. Your calculations were right on the proverbial nail. The House Voltage (battery voltage + MPPT input - load) held at around 13.8V all afternoon. This was the voltage of the Dia-Mec batteries when purchased, incidentally.

Alas when the Sun set, HV dropped down to around 12.5V, partly because of the 6pm movie commencing. The van received his usual 60 minutes of diesel charging between 17:00 and 18:00 yesterday afternoon, and then another 30 minutes between 19:00 and 19:30. I'm starting to understand 'his' preferred routine after almost three seasons of co-habitating in sin like this. The batteries are never going to hold 13.8V overnight again, not even if I unbolt the terminals, If I can keep things over 12V until morning, like yesterday morning, then that is all I can ask until I can replace these two cheapie batteries with some good quality items when the whole electrical system is finally built and tested to production standard,

Bedtime at around 20:30 saw the House Voltage at 12.2V when I switched off the bedside LED lamp, leaving only the food cooler running on level 6 of 7 as usual, Lo and behold if I did not wake at the habitual time of 00:44 to hear that the food cooler fan was running and House Voltage down to 11.6V. I lay awake until 02:44 and the food cooler fan never stopped for those two hours, and the HV fell to 11.2V. I got out of bed and reset the cooler coolness setting around from 6 to 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and as hoped, the fan stopped for the rest of the night, as far as I could tell. House Voltage on my $15.00 red LED voltmeter that I can see at the end of the bed in the dark returned to 11.6V and stayed there until dawn. The MPPT controller approved of the battery voltage in the morning and happily commenced recharging the batteries without any need for diesel help for the second morning in a row, which passed 12V again well before breakfast time.

The woman who lives in the transportable dwelling next door to me visited while walking her pesky little long-haired dog this morning to confirm that I was still interested in her *no-longer-useful Engel fridge, and that might solve this latest Waeco cooler fan stuck on ON problem in the near future. It hasn't happened before that I was awake to notice. Anyway, the poor old abused Chinese 100AH batteries that I have been so neglectful towards over the past seven(7) and two(2) months still seem to be able to keep their nightly promises. When I get the chance I'll save some money for some Japanese batteries, or maybe if I get real lucky, I could try some LiFePO4s when they finally become old technology and their price stabilises at some dependable South American standard.

* husband died. No more camping out for a woman alone.

ON SERIES WIRING

This morning I got up on the park's resident ladder once more and reconnected the pair of 150W rear roof-top panels in series, and things tested much better today than earlier in the week. The MPPT controller was even able to modulate almost effortlessly between the 39V of the series panels, the 20V of the portable panels (|| config), and the single 200W panel's 22V. I've recorded the different Voc values with the fuses removed, and then the Vmp values when all hooked into the same +ve and -ve junctions - parallel 'sets', one set being wired in series.

Now here comes the best part. In the Owners' Manual it states that a common ground between the high-voltage DC panel circuit (MPPT input) and the 12VDC 'house' circuit (MPPT output) is just hunky-dory so I read it again to make sure I wasn't having some senior moment with my reading comprehension.

They weren't kidding, Mike! Now I have rehooked all the -ves from the MPPT into the same ground on the side pillar of the van, behind the passenger seat. What this means is that I will no longer need to run -ve wires from the panels down into the cab. This will reduce the number of wires from the current eight(8) big thick 20A heavy-duty outdoor wires down to four(4), only half area through the grommet ... but wait! There's more ...

By connecting both the front 200W and rear 150W roof-top panels in series, there will only be need for two big red +ve wires coming down from the roof through the slit in the front of the sliding door now, which will be most welcome, because the door will not shut without a very hard push now, since there are a bundle of eight(8) wires wrapped in green PVC tape around 3/4" diameter, and the sliding door is gradually trimming the green PVC to smithereens. It could never have lasted. Only the fuses have allowed me to sleep in peace for half the night.

Changing to series wiring and earthing the panels up on the roof is going to reap a very wonderful benefit because of the physical incongruity of eight thick cables totalling 3/4" diameter squeezed through a slit in the side doorway which is only around 1/4" on happy days. I'll only need two(2) wires now. Both +ve for the front and rear panel pairs in series configuration.

My plan is to have the wiring redone as well as the roof-rack rebuilt to properly accept the larger 200W panels with 100mm longer 140mm wider dimensions before Friday next week, so that I can drive into town and collect that last panel, and it will fit onto the roof in around 30 minutes in the carpark.

CONCERNS REGARDING TEENIE-WEENIE DIODES.

Then there are only the portable 60W pair left in parallel. After yesterday's voltage disharmony between the 'sets' of panels when one set was wired in series totalling 40V Voc and the others were either alone or parallel at Voc 20V, I decided that I would need to take your advice, Mike, and rewire the portables into series so that eventually all three(3) sets of pairs will be Voc around 40-44V.

What has stopped me in my tracks this morning, so that the portable 60W panels are still in the OEM parallel, is that I can still feel the hard skin and the numbness on my right index finger after using the portables in excellent insolarence this morning for an hour, and then flipping them on their fronts in a hurry, unscrewing the lids of the small black 100mm square terminal boxes (as shown in phoitos above) and then testing the heat on the diodes with aforementioned right index fingertip. Ouch. It was hot. I can still feel the burnt finger.

"Oh no!", I thiought to myself, "If I hook these two panels in series, then the diodes are going to get twice as hot and then the whole thing will melt!"

I am wondering though, if there is any real truth in my hypothesis. At the MPPT end, what we get from two panels in a series circuit is double the voltage at half the amperage, to produce the same power in watts, with slightly less loss depending on the wire gauge because higher voltage at lower current produces the same watts with less heat, (less current). The higher volts flow faster with less current just as water will flow faster over a waterfall than it does in a canal or estuary. This is my electrical theory at its most advanced level, and could be quite incorrect.

Now, here is the difference between the MPPT end and the series solar end, in my uneducated head, that is. When I am running the 2 x 60W panels in parallel I produce X amperes of current which must pass through each panel's respective 6-AIC MIC diode and this makes it too hot to touch for more than around 2 secs. Apparently it is around 6.8A Imp according to the decal on the back and this is for the total 120W panels because 120W / 17.6V Vmp = 6.8181818 A. I hope I am right here because each 60W panel has its own decal so I would have guessed the specs for 60W, but the maths doesn't add up for that. I guess each decal refers to the 120W pair as a couple.

If I change to series wiring, by connecting one +ve to the other -ve and then connecting the output wires to the remaining -ve & +ve, including both diodes in the circuit, it seems to my logic that this would mean that the current produced by each panel does not just pass through the diode once now, but twice.

I must be wrong about this, In series we get double the voltage and half the current. I must be wrong in my paranoia. Please help.

If I rewire the 120W portable with its twin 60W panels into series so that the combined voltage more closely matches the other two pairs of fixed roof-top panels, will this put double the energy, double the heat energy that is, through those poor little teenie-weeny diodes ?

I hope that this coming week will allow me to rebuild the roof-rack, and rewire the electrics on the roof into series, and have enough connectors, nuts & bolts to do the job. If it works, I am going to draw diagrams, take photos, complie test reports and begin a new post hoc thread in the Off-Grid Solar 12V Mobile subforum where everything I have written so far would be more relevant.

I still don't know whether it would be safe for the diodes to change the portable panel to series but that is only a 10 minute job and it still adds a couple of amps to the total when hooked into the high-voltage system as it has worked out today.

I am so happy to have found a way to cut the number of big, thick cables all squashed up in the crack of the sliding door by 75%. Hooray!

See why I call this current stage of the Great Solar Transit Project, the 'prototype'?
    How long do you reckon THAT would have lasted?
    Last edited by Seano; 03-15-2019, 02:38 AM. Reason: You've got to see the photo of my shonky wiring job from the roof through into the van ... while stocks last, as they say.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

By connecting both the front 200W and rear 150W roof-top panels in series
      You will have converted your 200w panels into 150w panels
      panels in series can only pass as much amps as the lowest rated panel. And you increase your voltage, 4 panels in series gives you 80V into your charge controller

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Seano
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250

You will have converted your 200w panels into 150w panels
        panels in series can only pass as much amps as the lowest rated panel. And you increase your voltage, 4 panels in series gives you 80V into your charge controller

Oh my goodness! What a relief! I just checked my email whilst cooking breakfast and only got to read the first line of text emboldened above in the email alert. Oh not again. What have I done wrong this time?

Now I see that my substandard communications skills are the villains here.

I'm still going to run each roof-top pair in series, and both pairs in parallel, along with the Anderson connector for the portable. ( 2 x 200 (S) + 2 x 150 (S) + 2 x 60 (P) ) (P-P-P). There will still be three(3) lines into three(3) fuses and three(3) switches (although only two will be needed now if the series is all wired straight up on the roof and the portable can be unplugged on sunny days), terminated into one big red wire into the MPPT. Both of the big black wires coming out of the MPPT, (Solar & Battery), will now join straight onto a bolt in the side of the cab, and each of the negative panels in the series circuits will be bolted to the roof-rack so that all is grounded through the chassis, as suggested in the Owners' Manual and tested in real life yesterday afternoon..

Essentially it will be just as you recommended the other day, except that I am reluctant to rewire the portable pair into series until I can be convinced that it will not double the overall juice flowing through each individual weenie diode, because I felt the extreme heat on the diode yesterday and electronic parts will not handle much more than the heat which sizzles human fingertips in three(3) seconds.

The portable is only likely to be used when the roof-tops are in shade and producing under 5A between them, so the overall voltage drop is not too much to worry about because the low voltage panels, (portables in ||) will be the ones producing the most current. It has been working seemingly adequately yesterday to mix one 40V series pair with one 22V 200W panel and a pair of 60W 20V portables in parallel, so I expect that when the pair of 200W panels are also in series then things will be even better.

I am just loathe to change the portables to series because of the diodes which I presume will be twice as hot, Please tell me if I am thinking wrongly, and a series connection will not be sending twice the current through these diodes which only had to shunt the current from a single panel (60W / 12 = 5A) when connected in parallel. In series it's 120W / 12 = 10A, no?

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Seano

The portable is only likely to be used when the roof-tops are in shade and producing under 5A between them, so the overall voltage drop is not too much to worry about because the low voltage panels, (portables in ||) will be the ones producing the most current. It has been working seemingly adequately yesterday to mix one 40V series pair with one 22V 200W panel and a pair of 60W 20V portables in parallel, so I expect that when the pair of 200W panels are also in series then things will be even better.

I am just loathe to change the portables to series because of the diodes which I presume will be twice as hot, Please tell me if I am thinking wrongly, and a series connection will not be sending twice the current through these diodes which only had to shunt the current from a single panel (60W / 12 = 5A) when connected in parallel. In series it's 120W / 12 = 10A, no?
          When you put panels in series, the voltage adds and the current stays the same. The right equation is 120W / 24V = 5A.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Seano
            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by inetdog
            The right equation is 120W / 24V = 5A.
            Haha! How embarrassing. I've even been reading over it on the weekend and still didn't pick the obvious. Sorry about such a stupid oversight.

I'm still uncertain about the heat produced by two(2) diodes which are each conducting 120W, (5A @ 24V), through a series circuit, when they feel as hot as electronic components ought to ever be when conducting 60W, (5A @ 12V), through two parallel circuits. Possibly heat from the Sun as the diodes are mounted right under the panels and been receiving optimal insolaration, (excuse terminology if I am wrong), which somewhat correlates with optimal heat. I can't think of a way to test this in the shade though, apart from desoldering the diodes and mounting them at the other ends of a cable - too much mucking around.

In any case, what I have now with the 20V portable connected in parallel with the 40V rear-roof-top pair wired in series, and then the 22V front-roof-top single awaiting its twin next Friday - three different voltages all mixing it in parallel before attacking the MPPT controller - is working satisfactorily currently, (excuse pun). Yesterday afternoon at 3pm the red LED voltmeter read 14.4V across the house for the very first time in history. 14.4V is the pinnacle of my electrical ambitions.

Today I'm going to remove the three current roof-top panels and the aluminium roof-rack and wiring, and rebuild the roof-rack to better fit the larger 200W front panels. It might take more than a day's work, this. When it's all finished, I'll start a new thread and stop hijacking this one. Then maybe someone with learned experience can help me work out whether it would be suicidal to try to rewire the portable panel's twin 60W parallel into series; whether the hard-working little 'weenie' diodes might be inclined to give up their ghosts should the 20V 5A become 40V 5A. I do believe that they would as any two electrical components in parallel can handle twice the power of one electrical component, which is the equivalent of two electrical components in series.

I don't think that the portable would like to be rewired in series because its diodes would burn out. There would be double the voltage at the same amps which still means double the heat byproduct and they would be red-hot and likely to ignite, if the heat on them when I tested it is any indication.

I'll ask about this later after the rest of the system is rebuilt. It still works, whether optimally or just enough for now, with the portable wired in parallel.

PS:
            Today I'm going to remove the three current roof-top panels and the aluminium roof-rack and wiring, and rebuild the roof-rack to better fit the larger 200W front panels. It might take more than a day's work, this.
            Well I'm stumped and it's not even 11am here yet. It's going to take a lot longer than a day's work.

I thought it was sensible to use a kind of security stainless-steel screw-bolt & nut for the roof-rack and panel mounting-blocks to reduce the chances of having panels stolen in the event of my being inadvertently away from my van for any extended length of time, such as overnight anywhere except inside here. It has not really caught on among the petty criminal set here yet, but I am concerned with such possibilities as we are still paying over $1 AUD per watt for panels down here in The Greedy Country where demand-pull inflation rules the CPI (Consumer Price Index).

These security screw-heads are rather like a torx screw, but with a raised circle in the centre which requires a special driver-bit which comes with the packet. I have a dozen spares by now. I have never used these security screws before, and I thought that the special design of the screw-head was all there was to it. How wrong I was.

The other security feature is that the threads are soft stainless-steel and after the first proper tightening, they are somehow deformed, so that the nuts cannot be loosened either. I've completely stuffed my project with a clever idea that I had never tried before. Now I am going to have to wait until I can afford to rebuild the entire roof-rack from scratch again, and that looks like it will be sometime in late July at this point in time.

Thank you Inetdog, Mike, and Little Harbor for your helpful advice here in this thread, and also the interesting points I have been reading in other threads over the past few days. One of the most surprising that comes to mind is the link Mike posted about how NOT to connect multiple batteries at www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html. I would have used Method 1 if I'd had four batteries and didn't know any better like I do now. Lucky I only have two so far, and they're accidentally wired with fairly equal balance being plonked in two different locaitons behind and beneath the drivers' seat.

I'll get back and write up that final report on this project if ever I can live long enough to save the money to do it. See you then. Thanks,
            Last edited by Seano; 03-17-2019, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...