Over Amperage to Charge Controller - MPPT-60

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Amperage to Charge Controller - MPPT-60

Was wondering what happens if your PV Array puts out more amps than the charge controller is rated for.....like say your system puts out 80 Amps into a MPPT-60.

MPPT controllers, in general, can handle over sized arrays. They have the capability to throttle back the amps to stay within their heat and rated amp limit. I would not go much more than 150% over the controller rating. If your controller handles 4000w at 48V, it could most likely handle 6000w and still be able to self limit. A lot depends on the array voltage and how the controller "de-tunes" the PV array to stay within limits.
    In all cases, follow the mfgs suggestions.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You will clip some of the amps but more than likely if the CC is not built to handle 80 amps in then you could burn it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
        Was wondering what happens if your PV Array puts out more amps than the charge controller is rated for.....like say your system puts out 80 Amps into a MPPT-60.
        Not really possible unless you really have no clue what you are doing. MPPT Controllers are Buck Converters meaning they convert a higher voltage (lower Current) to lower voltage higher current. In other words an oxymoron or DIY question. Just not something you would ever do. Possible, but you would have to work really hard to be a foolish moron.

You would really have to way over size the panels considerably to even have the Input Current = Output Current whihc would mean you just changed your MPPT Controller into a PWM Controller, thus throwing or clipping 30 to 35% of your power into the garbage can. Not too mention woul dmean the panels are configured wrong

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          MPPT controllers, in general, can handle over sized arrays. They have the capability to throttle back the amps to stay within their heat and rated amp limit. I would not go much more than 150% over the controller rating. If your controller handles 4000w at 48V, it could most likely handle 6000w and still be able to self limit. A lot depends on the array voltage and how the controller "de-tunes" the PV array to stay within limits.
          In all cases, follow the mfgs suggestions.
          Thank you!........It's a Morningstar MPPT-60 .......Good to know I can hook up enough panels to where at times under high sun, it will put out more than the 60 Amps it's rated for.....

Most of the time it probably won't go over that......but when it does, I imagine I'd be wasting power from the panels........power that is over the 60 Amp rating.

Fwiw, I've got a DIY 24 volt system, and right now I've got 7 panels hooked up......that have 67 cells each.....

I'll take current measurements in the summer time when they're putting out max......and if I'm generating way too much, I'll switch some panels to another controller.....

Thanks again!
          z

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post

Thank you!........It's a Morningstar MPPT-60 .......Good to know I can hook up enough panels to where at times under high sun, it will put out more than the 60 Amps it's rated for.....
            No, it will always limit to 60 amps max. I would be careful about oversizing the array to too high of voltage, no more than 3x your battery voltage. Morningstar may have some info on their web site where they cover the danger limits.

Most of the time it probably won't go over that......but when it does, I imagine I'd be wasting power from the panels........power that is over the 60 Amp rating.

Fwiw, I've got a DIY 24 volt system, and right now I've got 7 panels hooked up......that have 67 cells each.....

I'll take current measurements in the summer time when they're putting out max......and if I'm generating way too much, I'll switch some panels to another controller.....

Thanks again!
            z
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
            X