Any crimper under $100 worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any crimper under $100 worth buying?

Im not a pro, but like owning good tools. It seems like the swing is crazy cheap to the high end one. Is there a crimper out there you would recommend?

As long as you understand their limits, some won't have a full set of dies, most are not certifiable, and even the 20 ton hydraulic have their limits
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

For what gauge? If you are planning correctly, you should never need anything larger than 4 AWG. Best bet is just buying terminated cables. Lots of places wil make them to any size or length. In addition many electrical supply rent them out, or find an Electrical Contractor and have him terminate the cables.

You can find some used T&B TBM21E or TBM25 on Flea Bay should be more than what you need for $100 or less.

Last edited by Sunking; 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Guess it might help if I post the gauge.

Both my systems use 10awg, I have a friend who is an installer with a set I can use but would rather have one in the tool box Incase I need some in the future.

The pre terminated ones scare me since I don
        Last edited by Dsspro; 03-15-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If 10 AWG is the largest, that is easy peazy my friend. For A. B, C non-insulated, and RA, RC, RC insulated nylon and vinyl terminals and splices nothing better than a T&B WT112M for less than $40 new. Most electrical supply stores sell them. 26 to 8 AWG

Nice and heavy, make excellent Rat/Cat/Squirrel killers, and an attitude adjustment tool to keep wife, kids, and electricians in line.
          Last edited by Sunking; 03-15-2018, 07:43 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Thanks SunKing. I guess I should have been more specific unless the answer doesn
            Last edited by Dsspro; 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM. Reason: Trouble with posts showing what I typed.

Comment

Looking to crimp mc4 connectors, I

Comment

Originally posted by Dsspro View Post
                I guess I should have been more specific
                Yes you should and you need to learn how to use GOOGLE to search. There are dozens of MC4 Crimp tools available for $50 or less.

Look for: A-2546B MC4 Solar Connector Crimping Tools on 2.5-6.0mm2
                MSEE, PE

Comment

I have a cheap MC-3/4 crimper I bought on ebay and it works perfectly. I have crimped hundreds MC-4 crimping tool.jpg connectors and cant find any fault with it. I have the type shown in the picture. I also have the type that opens more like scissors or pliers. Don't care for it anywhere near as much as this type shown here.
                  Last edited by littleharbor; 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM.
                  2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

The type shown is what I have been using with good results, ignoring that little hinge thing
                    on the side. The latest experiment of 24 landscape mounted panels, with an open gap
                    between the upper and lower rows, meant I had to make 10 MC4 extension cords to tie
                    together 2 strings.

Has anyone seen a proper way to splice together lengths of 10 gauge PV wire for outdoor
                    use, other than crimping on an MC4 pair? Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Has anyone seen a proper way to splice together lengths of 10 gauge PV wire for outdoor
                      use, other than crimping on an MC4 pair? Bruce Roe
                      How about the waterproof splice kits for submersible pumps ? They have compression (crimp) splices, heat shrink and sealant heat shrink to cover it all. Some UV tape over that. But is it code for PV instead of underwater ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Or Underground splices. Or real easy and practical Twist Lock splices rated for underground by Ideal Industries.

Last edited by Sunking; 04-05-2018, 11:53 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Those underground splices are cool but expensive. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                            Those underground splices are cool but expensive. Bruce Roe
                            Not the twist locks.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

I've seen wire nuts (twist locks) for 24V sprinkler systems with dielectric goop in them, but not for 240VAC. Guess I never needed them.

Comment

Working...
                              X