Schneider COMBOX connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schneider COMBOX connections

I have an off grid system and all components are SCHNEIDER. The components are all connected via their XANBUS network ( cables) and termination plugs.
    All the components communicate via this connection including the COMBOX. I cannot seem to connect the COMBOX to my laptop even after following the instructions many times. The COMBOX ( which is connected to the LAN,) issues a IP address which is copied to a flash drive and inserted in the laptop. From there the process stops.
    Does anyone have experience or know how to properly program (likely the router) to accept and see the COMBOX correctly? thank you

The combox comes with a CD The CD has a program on it to search for the combox on the network, and give you it's IP address so you can surf to it.

Unless your laptop has a bi-directional ethernet (host/server) port, you need a ROUTER . The Router issues the IP address to the combox, and then the ComBox Locator program can find it and give you the IP address.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank You Mike. it is exactly as you say minus the CD. the instructions tell me to insert the USB and an IP address will be coded. there is a COMBOX locator file which will locate the COMBOX well enough but the connection once entered ( IP address) times out over and over again.

Comment

I've never trusted the USB to carry the ip address, never heard of it before. I always use the
        combox finder software
        https://solar.schneider-electric.com...conext-combox/ under downloads. Look around there too, other good stuff

Conext ComBox Device Locator Software
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

If you can go into your router, you should find the Combox as an IP address listed if it is connected correctly. Mine is currently 192.168.254.1 and can be accessed thru a browser using http://192.168.254.1/login.html
          on the Local Area Network

I saved the login page as a favorite / bookmark in the browser

But ... When I unplug the Combox it sometimes gets reassigned. But all that changes is the last number and you have to look it up again. This has worked for me. Although the USB has worked flawlessly. Have you tried the method of plugging in the USB to the Combox until it blinks several times (don't recall the exact sequence)? This will also get you the current address of the Combox. I think you have to put the USB into the Combox before you put it into a computer to run the locator tool.

Did you plug all the connection cables into the correct ports? the Xanbus looks like a Cat 5/6 cable. And could easily be reversed. And I believe it the instructions getting them reversed is not good. Are you getting a light on the Router at the port where the Combox is plugged in?

Also, just an FYI, I think you need power to the Combox the first time??? I dont recall. But once it is up and running it does not need power as the Combox will get its power from the Xanbus

BTW ... what inverter are you using?
          Last edited by Matrix; 01-09-2018, 10:17 PM.
          285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

thank you for your replies: to use the USB the laptop and COMBOX must be connected via CAT cable first. then power up the COMBOX either with XANBUS or separate power adapter. then wait for green power light to be steady green. plug USB into COMBOX and it will blink 5 times. take the USB and plug it into the laptop and a screen will be generated that shows the IP address. there is also a COMBOX locator tool which came with the COMBOX USB.files.
            and yes it does locate the COMBOX. the current address is 169.254.55.182. it changed once already as you note just the last two numbers.

This is where i get stalled. no results and entering the IP into a browser does not find the COMBOX.
            I am not skilled enough to know what to enter into the router as i think that is where the problem is.
            NOTE: a right click on the IP address shown on the COMBOX finder box will show a line: LINK TO XANBRIDGE. when i click agree it says i must be an administrator.
            well that's it for now.
            My inverter/charger is SCHNEIDER also. 48 Volt, 6KW, XW6848

Comment

I think the ip address in the browser has to also have http://###.###.###.#/login.html

Try putting your current combox ip address in with the "http://" before it and "/login.html" after it.

Comment

I know once I got it working the first time ... I embedded a link on my personal web page and when on the same LAN any device I use - tablet / phone / other laptops / etc - just loads up the Conext ComBox page from my web sites link.

The only time it does not work is when the address changes, but that only happens if I power the SW inverter down, turning off the Xanbus network.

Comment

I just put just my ip address for the ComBox into a browser address bar and it added the /login.html. This might require a call to Schneider for you. I have spent a good bit of time on the phone with them. Very responsive customer service. It the end, the could not do anything about my issue (not Xanbus related) ... but they had their engineers do testing on their end for a month, while at the same time gave me a bunch of testing to do - AND - sent me a Conext battery monitor to do the testing with. The engineers ran tests and came back and said the inverter was doing what it was designed to do ... but not what was advertised or printed in the manual ... and I was actually told by a level 2 tech that he wished they would "take that line out of the manual" (all had to do with AC Support Mode ... which does not work in the SW's UNLESS the loads on L1 and L2 are balanced when operating)

Comment

Yes The techs are very good at responding, especially Nathan.
                    I too have spent some time with them adjusting my generator and the charge parameters of the 6848. now works beautifully. I will get this COMBOX figured out, my son in law is an IT whiz. i think he will set it straight and then i can inform SCHNEIDER of the process.

Lucky you to get a battery monitor. i have one ordered and i think it will open a new window of precise monitoring the SCP cannot do.
                    yes i went through the AC support mode, disabled it and all is good. when the gen set is runninf the load is shared with L1and L2. L2 being the priority in my system.

Comment

For the SW's, Schneider tech initially told me me L2 was priority. I think they were going off the behavior of the XW's. But after they did their testing ... They came back and told me my loads must be balanced between L1 and L2 which was the experience I was getting. As long as they are matched and larger loads ... it does turn off the grid and run off battery, but in my set up I try to minimize large loads for very long, and my loads are almost impossible to balance when running just lights and the fridge.

It is a real shame AC Support mode does not work as advertised, AC Support Mode would have been the very best of all worlds. Batteries to a User set DOD and then Grid. Batteries recharge ... and repeat. Never having to think about it or worry if one is discharging to much. It just does not work. If I have the sun on the solar array and excess power coming in, the SW pulls off the grid in AC support mode and never uses the excess power. So I just leave the AC line in turned off unless charging.

But the lack of function from Schneider's AC Support Mode has made me want an OutBack inverter with GridZero tech or wait and see what MidNite comes up with when they release the B 17 system. Which looks really cool but probably over my price point.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pages/b17/index.php

Comment

The combox locator tool, will list the found gear with a clickable link. Just click the link and the computers default browser will follow the link and you can log in,
                        (don't worry, my combox has a 3 mile airgap to the web)
                        XW_Locater.jpg

Last edited by Mike90250; 01-10-2018, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Matrix, that is a serious build fault with the XW for you. as i am not connected to the grid and have the AGS set to a low volt start, i do not have the situation you do.
                          Would a good transfer switch help?
                          Very cool looking MIDNITE solar modules. Very impressive list of attributes.

Mike, the screen shot you sent is exactly as mine. When i click on the web address bar i do not link with the COMBOX. It times out. So i suspect it is a set up within my router causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by captaincook View Post
                            Matrix, that is a serious build fault with the XW for you. as i am not connected to the grid and have the AGS set to a low volt start, i do not have the situation you do.
                            Would a good transfer switch help?
                            Very cool looking MIDNITE solar modules. Very impressive list of attributes.

Mike, the screen shot you sent is exactly as mine. When i click on the web address bar i do not link with the COMBOX. It times out. So i suspect it is a set up within my router causing the problem.
                            The locater sees the combox. If signal strength is not strong, the browser may not get a good connection, I've had that issue with low power routers, the simple locater has enough power to locate the box, but link errors prevent the web page from loading completly

Comment

Good thread ! Im fighting an issue with my combox, Its not seeing the Mini SD card? Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X