I've got Spaghetti- any Wire Management & Tying tips??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syberdog
    • Sep 2017

I've got Spaghetti- any Wire Management & Tying tips??

What a headache... I originally though 'just coil the wires and tie them then run thru the rail clips' no big deal... Wrong!
    I found out that PV wire doesn't bend easily and the connectors need a unlock tool so better have it aligned without kinks, crosses and the way you want it before tieing it up. Which brings up the chicken/egg question... does one tie and hang the wires before or after connecting the panels?
    Any tips or advice on hanging this plate of spaghetti would be appreciated.

Thanks
    sd
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Looks like a wire management problem, in an otherwise super neat construction. Do I see optimizers?
    There are a few ways to organize wires; you might need a cable rack. One way is to run a series string
    to every other panel to use up the length, doubling back to connect the other panels. Another is to
    turn some panels around to use up length. Worst case cut and crimp on new MC4s. My wires pretty
    much run along the supports, winding around them to use up excess length. The best arrangement
    might turn out to need an MC4 extension cord somewhere, easy to make esp if there are scraps from
    trimming. Don't cut anything really short. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• Syberdog
      • Sep 2017

Orienting the panels so the wire was all in one line seemed like a good idea at the time....
      Is it anti-code to wrap the cable around the rails to take up length? I don't plan on remounting any panels or cutting any wire- I might be able to put wire clips on a higher rail and run between to two...
      Last edited by Syberdog; 11-10-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=bcroe;n366157]One way is to run a series string
        to every other panel to use up the length, doubling back to connect the other panels.
        Bruce Roe[/QUOTE}

Here's a diagram for leap frog wiring.
        Leapfrog wiring of series wired panels.jpg

Not sure how the cables will work out with microinverters/optimizers though.

Last edited by littleharbor; 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Syberdog
          • Sep 2017

I tried to leapfrog but the optimizer wires are about 3" too short so I decided to work one noodle at a time. Starting with the optimizer cables I came up with two possibilities... which one do y'all think better? ... or ??? (after tied, I will add some zip ties to the cable, rails or frames to help further lift or secure in place)

option 1

option 2

BTW, Are the optimizers supposed to remain unconnected until the panels are connected up first? I can't connect the panels until I have their wire coiled and secured or else it becomes difficult if a coil has to be redone different....
          Last edited by Syberdog; 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

Looking at your earlier pictures, I think after all is wired up you could easily enclose that area between the 2nd and 3rd rail and have all wiring out of sight. It would really clean up the mass of wiring and take it out of sight and reach of uninvited hands.
            Last edited by littleharbor; 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• DanS26
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2011

Whatever you do......do not have your connectors in a drip zone. Also if possible have the connector the highest point of the loop.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Syberdog
                I tried to leapfrog but the optimizer wires are about 3" too short
                That sounds very close. How about, mount each optimizer moved 3" from the next one, so
                they just reach?

Half the panels here have been relocated; would much rather do that, than crimp on new
                connectors. Might be easier here with each panel individually bolted, instead of held by
                overlapping clamps. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Syberdog
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by littleharbor
                  Looking at your earlier pictures, I think after all is wired up you could easily enclose that area between the 2nd and 3rd rail and have all wiring out of sight. It would really clean up the mass of wiring and take it out of sight and reach of uninvited hands.
                  My wife likes that idea too, Now to figure out exactly how to do it. Maybe use the bottom channel of the rails and a flexible sheet material or grill/screening. I'm open for suggestions.

It ain't pretty but its done and all the connectors are plugged- I better order a disconnect tool. Too dark for pics but you would scream if you saw it anyway.

Comment

• GRickard
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2016

You could try something like a Panduit finger trough. It's made for wire management.

Greg

Comment

• AzRoute66
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2017

I really like the idea of leap frog, however, if we were short 3" on equidistant optimizers, bringing one in those 3" will leave the next run 6" short, etc. and sooner or later it is going to catch up to you. I think we could have got away with it as we only had to 'short' a maximum of five panels (5x3"=15"). (Both strings start and end in the middle).

It would be a big undertaking to lift all of those panels just to make such a move, and you would need more clamp star washers (Weeb washers?) as they are supposed to be single use only. So, 'leapfrogging' definitely appreciated now that we've seen the method. This is one of the reasons I was so eager to go out and assist - lots of little things you won't get unless you are smart/experienced enough to ask (which I'm not). Heck, the neatest thing I learned was that the 'indent' mark on the clamp bolts will tell you when the diamond head of the clamp bolt is properly positioned in the rack channel...

It was a great experience putting up that array with Syberdog, and I'm grateful he provided me with the opportunity. When he puts up the next one, I'm going to get out there early enough to play in the concrete.

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

I was thinking sheet aluminum, by the roll, comes in different widths and gauges. Attach it with Stainless self tapping screws.

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AzRoute66
                          I really like the idea of leap frog, however, if we were short 3" on equidistant optimizers, bringing one in those 3" will leave the next run 6" short, etc. and sooner or later it is going to catch up to you. I think we could have got away with it as we only had to 'short' a maximum of five panels (5x3"=15"). (Both strings start and end in the middle).

It would be a big undertaking to lift all of those panels just to make such a move, and you would need more clamp star washers (Weeb washers?) as they are supposed to be single use only. So, 'leapfrogging' definitely appreciated now that we've seen the method. This is one of the reasons I was so eager to go out and assist - lots of little things you won't get unless you are smart/experienced enough to ask (which I'm not). Heck, the neatest thing I learned was that the 'indent' mark on the clamp bolts will tell you when the diamond head of the clamp bolt is properly positioned in the rack channel...

It was a great experience putting up that array with Syberdog, and I'm grateful he provided me with the opportunity. When he puts up the next one, I'm going to get out there early enough to play in the concrete.
                          Just move each optimizer over an ADDITIONAL 3" till you run out of whatever, then slip in a short
                          extension cord and start again. Not having optimizers, I didn't realize you need to lift the panel to
                          move its optimizer. My bolts aren't single use, only the fuses and Weeb washers are. Bruce Roe

Comment

• AzRoute66
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by GRickard
                            You could try something like a Panduit finger trough. It's made for wire management. Greg
                            Panduit would be perfect for this situation if it were UV/weather resistant, about 1/6th of the current price (and preferably in matte black ). I've been researching the 'back of array' wire management issue, and it appears that it is a pretty considerable problem. I think I'm going to get a lawn chair and park it behind that array and cipher on a solution. There are NEC issues too (of course).

Comment

• NukeEngineer
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2017

+1 on leapfrog! I did this with all four strings on my array. Most of my strings were boring (one panel next to the other), with some gaps, one of which was the size of a whole panel.

However, my last string was an odd 3x3 + 1 square, and I was able to leapfrog this one as well. I had to stare at it and figure out where to go next, as I was wiring this one, but it worked out. See attachment. Yellow lines indicate how these optimizers got connected together.
                              Attached Files
                              https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

Working...